Ayasdi Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Ayasdi Reviews

Updated Aug 27, 2019

3.7
Ayasdi CEO Ishan Manaktala
Ishan Manaktala

"The downward slide continues, the fake reviews are obvious"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at the ground level are good people and just want to do the right thing. They are what makes you wake up and do the day-in, day-out work here.

Cons

Nothing has changed with the recent additions to the management team, there is still no new direction or semblance of a plan. Transparency is at an all time low. There are mixed messages on the state of our business, and no one quite knows if we are acquiring new customers or if the ones we have are renewing. There hasn't been any announcement of production customers or renewals, that is a fact. What is very... transparent is the general lack of agenda for the employees, their development and their importance to the function they provide. Management continues to fire people who raise any concern or question the product or sales strategy. We have lost most of sales, data science and business development. We continue to get "pep talks" from the CEO in team and select 1:1 fashion, but his "pep talks" are basically threats to toe the line. We now know that speaking the truth just leads to your dismissal vs. change. It is a sad state of affairs for those of us who have been here for some time.

Advice to Management

The problem is at the top and extends to every member of the management team. We need a reboot or to sell. We do believe in Gunnar's ideas, we just don't believe in the execution of the CEO or his team.

Ayasdi2015-09-23

September 26, 2015

Thanks for the message. Thanks also for recognizing the extraordinary talent we’ve assembled; We’re proud to work with some of the best & brightest Data Scientists, Engineers, Sales, Marketing & Product people in the advanced analytics space. If you are a current employee, we really encourage you to attend our weekly all hands meeting or any other department-level forum a little more regularly. Just this week we “Rang the Gong” (that’s what we do when we close deals), and have been doing it quite a bit recently. Alternatively, if you are concerned about new customers or renewals, please log into Salesforce.com and run the “Booked QTD” report to see the list of deals booked this quarter; there are quite a few. Please also provide us some feedback on transparency using an internal forum (there are confidential ones available). As a company, we’re open to new approaches that go beyond what we already do, like showing every board deck, publishing minutes of every estaff meeting, presenting regular roadmap updates, offering monthly go to market updates with feedback sessions, weekly coordination meetings between sales, data science & product, vertical market planning meetings, etc. At the very least, you can anonymously post a concern or ask a question using our weekly AMA forum (as you know, we’ve answered every question ever posted, no matter how awkward the answer was). It’s unfortunate that you feel that we don’t invest in the employees or develop them. As a Data Scientist, you should know that every member of the Data Science team that’s been onboard more than 6 months has seen some form of a promotion, speaking engagements, responsibility expansion, management training, or other high-profile advancements. We are committed to helping our already awesome team become that much more accomplished.

"The Board should be accountable too"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Ayasdi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vision is great, stellar math under Professor Gunnar Carlsson, and a huge initial launch that put the company on the map, which was a factor that attracted me to the company.

Cons

Very competitive space to hire and retain talent, especially data scientists and engineers, and when people leave, it leaves a big knowledge gap and slows down all engineering efforts.

Advice to Management

Despite other posts, Gurjeet has done a decent job as a first-time CEO. The external Board should be more accountable, but given everything going on, they seem to be non-existent.

Ayasdi2015-08-23

September 15, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. You are absolutely correct; this is a challenging talent market & great departing talent always leaves a gap. While this challenge is being felt everywhere in the tech industry, we recently rolled out a number of programs to increase employee engagement, empowerment & retention. We’ve also ramped-up the publicity around our open door policy & really encourage all employees to come forward with any challenges they face; We’re committed to retaining & developing the worlds best talent!

"Technical debt is limiting potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time

Pros

Cutting edge technology, pioneers in TDA, and opportunity to work with some extremely smart technical talent. Solid benefits and perks.

Cons

Lacks of leadership in engineering with no clear definition of prioritization and process - mix of agile and waterfall methods. Rampant politics is leading to weekly personnel departures.

Advice to Management

Figure out whether you're a product or services company. Be willing to listen to employees and provide a career path.

Ayasdi2015-08-01

September 15, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. Ayasdi is proud to have recruited a team that almost everyone regards as the smartest in the industry. And we’re glad that you appreciate that we pamper our employees with above market pay, industry leading benefits & a host of perks. As we grow our product, we strive very hard to make sure that every voice is heard. But unfortunately, even in companies with incredibly smart technical teams, there can be disagreements over direction. You can really help us the most by raising your concerns in one of the Weekly forums we created to solicit and act on feedback (e.g., the Eng Team meeting; the Product – Eng meeting; one of the Vertical Cadence forums, your Dev team meeting or in a 1 on 1 meetings with your manager). Or, surface your concerns to any exec or raise them (anonymously, if that’s more comfortable) in any of our monthly AMA sessions. We thrive on feedback, so please don’t hold back if you have concerns.

"Mismanagement 101"

I worked at Ayasdi full-time

Pros

The employees are incredibly intelligent. Great technology for analyzing the variety of data that major enterprises use. The CFO has managed to build a pile of cash. Marketing and the CEO have built a great brand name despite minimal commercial success.

Cons

Politics abound - sales is a rotating door, the CPO and the CMO have built armies of employees, and the CEO seems reluctant to have a real HR department. The executive staff cancels all hands meetings at the last moment and has off-site meetings to define strategy. That strategy is never discussed with mid level managers or employees. The company still lacks an operational plan to gain market share, which should... have been defined years ago.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect. Gain a better understanding of the pain points for your customers. Build a product that your customers can actually use or hire the headcount and become a consulting shop. Start selling licenses or return the money to your investors.

Ayasdi2015-08-24

September 15, 2015

We appreciate your comments. While it’s unfortunate that your time with us seems to have had some disappointments, we are glad that you recognize the skill, talent and raw intelligence of the Ayasdi team. We take pride in having assembled the world’s best talent and we celebrate our 7-person HR team for hiring, developing & nurturing an amazing talent pool in a very tight labor market. We are also proud of the technology we’ve developed. It seems that you may have had some disagreements with members of the product team, but we appreciate that you find the technology that the CPO & his 5-person team helped develop is “great”. The product our development team is building turns the very hard problem of making complex data useful into a simple operation for over 250 customer organizations.

"No respect for talent or customers!"

I worked at Ayasdi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Eat Club & Work/Life Balance

Cons

You think you are coming to a company that has a unique algorithm and unique set of people. They lead you to believe smart people doing smart solutions. Then you realize the B team executives don't value the people at the company. All things you can't realize until you are there unfortunately. How do you go through 4 CRO officers in 4 years?! Maybe someone (CEO) should look at the product and admit it needs work... before trying to sell it? The other most unfortunate part is the lack of working towards a common goal. Where's the roadmap, when is the CEO accountable? The attrition rate is through the roof, stay away! There are a lot of really smart people working there, however the leadership lacks business skills.

Advice to Management

More like advice to Investors. Pay closer attention to the story they are selling, it's not true. Estaff is more like BStaff unfortunately.

Ayasdi2015-08-18

September 15, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. You are right that Ayasdi has developed a unique technology that provides highly valuable solutions to our customer’s most vexing problems. It’s unfortunate that you’ve had a bad experience, but for readers of these comments, reach out to any executive or current employee on LinkedIn & ask them whether they’ve seen a Roadmap, a cohesive Go-To-Market plan or alignment on key goals. We actually publish all these items internally. You’ll also note that we’ve recently recruited an awesome new CRO (our second ever), who is transforming the way we go to market. As a company, we pride ourselves on helping almost 300 client organizations transform their data problems into differentiation, competitive advantage & game changing advances that often transform their industry. Finally, we do invest heavily in our extraordinary team & are committed to their success. We cherish our team by regularly reviewing the labor market to ensure we’re paying them at above market rates, providing them industry leading benefits & keeping them engaged through a host of perks. We’re also always open to any discussion that will help each team succeed.

"Last chair on the titanic"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time for more than a year

Pros

The technology has unlimited potential Great people in many areas across the company

Cons

Led by executives who have never run a business and are failing. Cannot tell if they want to be a services or software company Current on 4th Chief Revenue Officer Many key departures in sales and engineering (check LinkedIn) Lack of communication and agreement on direction across teams

Advice to Management

Executives from the CEO down need to be replaced Product needs clear direction Morale is incredibly low. Do something now or lose more good people

Ayasdi2015-08-15

September 15, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that Ayasdi is full of awesome people who have built a great technology that the market highly values. It’s unfortunate that there is uncertainty about our product focus, as for years now, we’ve been 100% committed to building Machine Intelligence software that solves our customers’ hardest & most valuable problems. Almost 300 customer organizations will happily attest that our product is helping them solve some of their most challenging data problems. For prospective employees reading this review, we really do encourage you to check LinkedIn. It will clearly demonstrate that we’ve just recruited one of the valley’s best CROs (our second ever, very similar to most firms at our stage of growth) & our Development team turnover has actually been significantly below Silicon Valley average. We work very hard to recruit the best talent in the valley, pay them above market wages & reward them with world class benefits & perks.

"Best company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time for less than a year

Pros

First and foremost, it's a company of amazing talent and a fun place to work for. Most of the amazing stuff happens over discussions, meetings and lunch sessions. Every day to work here is an opportunity to learn and progress in your career. Cutting edge technolog. Very rare or none has done any work on TDA this extensively.

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep rocking!

Ayasdi2015-03-13

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Sales in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Ayasdi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed over two and a half years at Ayasdi, working in various roles such as recruiting, marketing, and sales. It was an incredible experience, and one that I would recommend to any young, motivated, and driven professional. The founding team is transparent and consistently available for conversation or assistance, as they are (in the office everyday.

Cons

Only one ping pong table that sometimes gets crowded.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job and good luck!

Ayasdi2014-11-19

"Employee Ayasdi Review"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working at Ayasdi for over a year and a half and would highly recommend working here! Excellent benefits, free lunch catered in, snacks, ping-pong, fun social events, positive atmosphere, very friendly people and Leadership. I feel lucky to be able to contribute to Ayasdi and everything this Company stands for.

Cons

No cons to list. Very satisfied.

Ayasdi2014-11-14

"Great company to work for"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time for less than a year

Pros

From the start, I could tell that this is a company that cares about their employees. The benefits package is amazing and there is a great balance between work and life. Seeing Ayasdi make meaningful changes is another motivating factor to stay.

Cons

Opportunities for internal advancement aren't set in stone due to the size of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Ayasdi2014-11-14