Ayres Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

James Roos

1. "Costa Mesa Hotel"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Ayres Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned and managed. They are very open to communication and care about the people working for them. Management is friendly and approachable. They always will help out when needed They give frequent bonuses for things. People are nice there and management treats you with respect They give good support and come in whenever you need them

Cons

Insurance is not great. Too expensive for family. Buy better uniforms

Advice to Management

It's a nice place to work. Management is fair and cares about you as a person. Don't lose that

2. "This company has been really good to me"

Current Employee - Front Desk- in Paso Robles, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk- in Paso Robles, CA

I have been working at Ayres Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful, family owned company. Jim, Don and everyone else are super, super nice! They are genuinely caring people. They are involved a good amount and come to visit us from time to time. The owners are always respectful and kind, and they know my name! I feel valued. They take good care of me and I plan to stay with them for at least the next few years if my career continues on this path. I feel like they care about me as a person, and as an employee. I have a lot of respect for everyone in this company and also all of my colleagues as well. I am also paid very well for my position... definitely blessed!

Cons

Sometimes it feels like the managers is so busy that we do not have their presence as much as we would like (in the nights mainly). I personally want more hands on training. Part of moving up within the company or hotel is a waiting game. A person has to wait for the higher up person to get promoted, leave or retire. However, the opportunity is there, for someone who is driven and patient and works hard to achieve that (which is such an amazing feeling of accomplishment) I would also say that the insurance I wish is more affordable. For a single employee it's a great deal, but start adding on family members and the price jumps (but pretty typical with most insurance companies), sadly I cannot afford it, also not really any dentists in the area (I do not want to drive 2hr to a doctor).

Advice to Management

Please organize more incentives for employees and also more ways to make them feel appreciated. It can be as simple as more recognition for a job well done, to a monthly employee lunch just to say thank you for a job well done, to small bonuses. Please offer us more training and support that we need from our managers. Please staff and hire people according so that we can give our guests the best attention they deserve. Please try to have more coverage with managers on the evening and weekend shifts. I don't think managers should be 9-5 (not all of them).

3. "Director Of Rooms"

Current Employee - Director of Rooms in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Rooms in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Ayres Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned, excellent corporate and hotel structure

Cons

need to have HR in properties to attend all issues.

4. "Terrible place to work at"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

Flexible with hours , lunch discount in resturant

Cons

Management is a joke and drunks and always bring there problems from home to work , they are always constantly talking about one another they always fire people, people only last about 5 months or less , they don't provide uniform so you have to keep buying

Advice to Management

Change your management team

5. "No Comment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Ayres Hotels part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team is great

Cons

Management needs tons of work

Advice to Management

If they like you, there's nothing you can do wrong. If they don't like you, well let's just hope it doesn't get to that point. However, if they don't like you, they will formulate a case against you to get you out of the company. Aside from management at the Costa Mesa location, the company is a great company to work for. There are many opportunities to grow (once again, if they like you).
    My advice to management would be:
    Quit the blatant favoritism.
    Train your employees once they are hired.
    Learn how to coach employees on mishaps and mistakes.
    You can not lead a team based on write ups.
    Maybe, once in a while, you should talk to your team about how they feel in regards to the morale!

6. "Great Culture and Values!"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Ayres Hotels full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Health Benefits & 401 K Plan; Great Company to work with and career opportunities; Owners very approachable and very down to earth.

Cons

Limited opportunities to enjoying employee discounts when utilizing hotels outside Southern California - Miss being able to enjoy employee discounted rates nationwide.

Advice to Management

Suggest we partner with other Hotel Brand/s and negotiate an Employee discounted rate. This can be an added benefit to the Ayres Hotel Group Employees.

7. "Great work place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Ayres Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management here is amazing!! They always help you out when you need help and everyone gets along with each other. Our mangers especially will help in the kitchen or in housekeeping if we are short handed that day.

Cons

Wish it was closer to my house, but it's just about 25 minute drive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing an amazing job.

8. "In Office Politics and Incompetence"

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Ayres Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Daily rigors that allow for professional growth and development.

Cons

There are too many. Firstly, management has displayed continual imcompetence to operate within the realms of their position and blatant animosity between managers is very evident in their actions during daily operations. They are unable to do their job and will very easily pass off any work to subordinates or completely place blame on others, when it is their duty to perform the task at hand. There is "popularity contest" in the office, and only those that are close friends with managers can enjoy the perks of slothing in the back office and being able to avoid reprimands for continual tardiness and failure to perform one's duties. Secondly, management does not respect labor laws in that, when sick, they will not allow for sick time to be used despite proper notification on the hands of the employees. Lastly, the overall attitude of individuals that work here and the manner in which close friends of managers rise through the company's corporate structure, despite other individuals being more suited for the position or having the proper education to execute the job duties more effectively.

Advice to Management

Do not allow this popularity contest to continue further. It is affecting the front office dynamic and the manner in which our so-called bosses act like children with one another does not reflect adequately of the tradition of excellence Ayres widely renowned for.

9. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Seal Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Seal Beach, CA

I worked at Ayres Hotels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee rate on hotel rooms.
    Learn about customer service.
    Great team environment and plenty of opportunity to grow within company.

Cons

Hotels are only in Southern California
    Get yelled at for things out of your hands.

10. "Great place to start gaining experience"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Ayres Hotels part-time

Pros

Very family oriented
    Free breakfast
    Easy to promote/sell because of the amenities, location of the hotel and great rates
    Promote from within (but not a lot of positions available to be promoted into...)
    Senior Management (Family Owners) do a real good job at remembering your name and will make an effort to greet you every time they visit the property so make sure you maintain a good reputation!

Cons

There was a very long period of time where supposedly no one got raises and there was a "freeze". I had my review and scored very high and all I got was a good job. I did not feel appreciated whatsoever. The company is great but very cheap when it comes to money. They are often understaffed so when you would call in sick or wanted a day off, it was really hard

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to your employees, have "Employee of the Month" (or of the Year) awards -- not only for certain departments, ALL departments. Give bonuses to front desk agents as they are usually the first in line to take the hit when angry guests approach them.