Ayzenberg Reviews | Glassdoor

Ayzenberg Reviews

Updated Oct 25, 2019

2.9
Ayzenberg CEO and Executive Creative Director Eric Ayzenberg (no image)
Eric Ayzenberg

"Depends on the team you're put on"

I have been working at Ayzenberg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly people and nice office in a interesting location. Most of the people there are great and try hard to do great work but like all ad agencies they're at the whim of the clients. Who range from professional and reasonable to unqualified for the positions they hold in their respective companies.

Cons

The largest theme of the company is the sense that people are promoted because they're there, rather than an merit or being well suited for the job. There's no on boarding or semblance of management or career path. The nature of the company does not allow for a reasonable work/life balance and you're lucky if you get a 30 minute lunch on most days. There's also a high turnover rate and leadership has implemented lunch presentations so people understand what everyone does in the company. The C-level and VPs seem to have little to no vision for the future of the company or the employees there; with consistent lay-offs and then immediate hiring of new staff.

Advice to Management

Have exit interviews with your employees to get real, honest answers about how to improve the company. Admit that things are NOT working and be transparent about the health of the company and set realistic expectations with your clients. Take care of your employees and they will take care of the clients. Take stock of who manages people and if they're well suited for the role and get experienced managers from outside and empower them be vocal and honest about poor internal structure and let them suggest ways to improve. Business as usual will simply lead to the same mistakes and poor morale that permeates the office.

Ayzenberg2019-03-27

"A roller coaster of a ride...lots of ups and downs"

I worked at Ayzenberg full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities to gain invaluable agency experience and career development while working on major high profile clients. Very talented, passionate, fun, and creative colleagues.

Cons

Not for the thin-skinned or faint of heart. The pressure is high, the feedback may be harsh, clients can be ultra-demanding, the hours can be long, and the deadlines can be brutal. Depending on which team you are placed on, some managers and colleagues are very supportive and nurturing, while others can be toxic and miserable.

Advice to Management

Listen to and follow up on feedback from the rank and file employees about the leadership on their team. They have legitimate things to say.

Ayzenberg2019-02-22

"Misguided and at times toxic, watch out for the fake reviews."

Former Employee - Art Director in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ayzenberg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Praise to the few remaining talented creatives and genuine supporting staff, the agency truly rides on your shoulders. Health care coverage and negotiated compensation were positives.

Cons

Ayzenberg is a below the line video game key art agency imitating advertising. Their social arm stems from a heavy PR perspective, where strategy steamrolls creative, and the leadership is homegrown and under qualified. The hiring standards across the board are low, as is retainment, they tend to place a greater emphasis on eclectic culture building as opposed to pursuing creatives with established backgrounds. Process falls into a dysfunctional ‘Ayzenberg way’, professionalism is spotty, and people with actual talent generally exit within a short time. The agency’s logo is a knockoff of the [adult swim] logo, the owner’s background is shrouded in mystery as he’s clearly not the savvy business icon they depict him to be in the onboarding process. This ship was lucky to have stayed afloat as long as it did. In short, a career pit stop, better than not working, but hardly on the map.

Advice to Management

Stick to agency candidates, the in-house folks aren’t accustomed to the demands. Lay off the culture hires, you also need more disciplined creatives to mature the groups; creatives with formal educations and solid track records.

Ayzenberg2019-01-14

"An inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Copywriter in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Ayzenberg full-time for less than a year

Pros

The main thing that sets Ayzenberg apart from places I’ve worked in the past is the people. I’m impressed and inspired by my coworkers here everyday—not just by their creativity, but their positivity. Even when we’re working on a project that’s especially challenging and we’re working longer hours than usual, positivity wins out and makes this a fun place to be. I also love the diversity of my coworkers—they come from so many different walks of life, I’m always learning from them and getting better because of them. I’ve also found that leadership genuinely cares about mentorship and helping people like me (who are newer to the company) to make our way to exactly where we want to go. I also have to mention that the unique architecture of the building and the art that surrounds us around the workplace puts a pep in my step and helps my brain to work differently than it would in a more sterile office.

Cons

It's a little bit of a commute from where I live, but it's well worth it.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making a great place to work. I love the events where everyone shares the cool things they've been working on-- and hope we have even more of that going forward!

Ayzenberg2019-01-10

"Wow, just wow. What a horrible place from the start."

I have been working at Ayzenberg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free snacks and close to downtown Pasadena, so there are a lot of shops and restaurants close by.

Cons

Bad management, immature and disrespectful.

Advice to Management

Keep tabs on the managers on your teams, some are legit bullies. There is a reason for high turnover,

Ayzenberg2019-02-20

"Scum, plain and simple."

in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ayzenberg for more than 3 years

Pros

Coffee. Location. A small handful of talented people.

Cons

If you want to work with sleazy, washed-up, untalented, and mentally inept creative directors / managers / producers / et , then this is the place for you. Being good at your job is taken as a threat to your bosses, and they will take credit for your work, you can pretty much guarantee it. HR is non-existent unless it's serving the needs of management. You will see people lie, cheat, and steal their way to the top. You will definitely see people with no experience "leading" teams. This place spits in the face of talent and celebrates mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Step your game up, stop putting washed-up people in charge that have no idea what they're doing. Start treating your actual talent with respect. I don't forsee any clients holding onto the small thread of good people you have left at this joke of an agency. You had basically an entire team QUIT over something shady on of your teams, if that's not an eye opener, nothing will be.

Ayzenberg2018-12-29

"A sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ayzenberg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Literally. Nothing. At all. There's my 5 words.

Cons

The worst place I've ever worked. A manager lied to a client and ruined someone's career over it. Client knows this. Everyone knows this. This inspired myself and lots of people to quit. The agency has lost all the people that their clients trusted and is a literal sinking ship. Don't work here unless you want to be taken advantage of, because it's not a matter of if, it's when.

Advice to Management

Karma is coming for you, so be ready for it.

Ayzenberg2019-01-05

"Bottom feeder agency"

I have been working at Ayzenberg

Pros

Free snacks and coffee and bathrooms

Cons

Just a bunch of old guys trying to farm young talent and take credit for it. Social team is embarrassingly behind the times and led by someone that clearly doesn't have the first clue how to leverage social media. If you afe above entry level and you work here you must be very desperate and you will quit within 6 months.

Advice to Management

You're not a real agency. Give it up. Get rid of scheduled lunch hour. This isn't high school.

Ayzenberg2018-12-31

"Fun Environment, Good People, Horrible Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Ayzenberg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, insanely talented people, a great feeling of camaraderie working on projects. Good benefits, fair pay, great location.

Cons

The shop has no solid leadership. Fiscally irresponsible. 95% older white men in leadership. HR is nearly non existent. Still operating like it's a small startup when it's nearly a 300 person shop. The glass ceiling is real at Ayzenberg.

Advice to Management

Take the reins away from Eric Ayzenberg and add more women and POC to positions of leadership.

Ayzenberg2018-10-04

"Depends who you're working with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ayzenberg full-time for less than a year

Pros

I accepted my offer at Ayzenberg because it seemed like such a cool place to work at. The office is very unique- casual atmosphere, open desk spaces, etc. I loved the fact there was free coffee, catered working lunch, free breakfast on Fridays, the reverse commute from DTLA. I also was convinced I'd be able to grow in the company and learn from many of the talented individuals working there. There are definitely amazing people working there, but it really just depends on who you're working directly under. There were many days in the office where I wished I was placed on a different social team (because the other teams seemed SO much better and less cliquey). Additionally, I negotiated my pay to be way beyond industry standard for an entry-level position so that was a huge factor in my acceptance.

Cons

I agree with a previous review that if you don't align yourself with the right people you are forgotten or gone after until you're fired or leave. Reading that inspired me to write this review hahaha. Unfortunately, I worked directly under an individual who micromanaged like crazy. I should've seen the signs during the interview process. Sometimes, I couldn't believe the things they'd say or the way they acted. There were times where I was left for hours doing absolutely nothing (despite asking if there's anything else to do, finishing my own work, etc.). I felt like a glorified intern. - There are long hours depending on deadlines- not bad if you actually get your work done during the day.

Advice to Management

Try to actually explain an ACCURATE description of the responsibilities of a role during the interview process. I was sold for a completely different role in my head vs what I was actually doing throughout the day.

Ayzenberg2018-10-10