Ayzenberg "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Ayzenberg Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jun 12, 2019

Ayzenberg CEO and Executive Creative Director Eric Ayzenberg (no image)
Eric Ayzenberg
Pros
  • "Great environment, insanely talented people, a great feeling of camaraderie working on projects(in 11 reviews)

• "Great place to work with a fun young and creative atmosphere(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are long hours depending on deadlines- not bad if you actually get your work done during the day(in 6 reviews)

• "Younger employees are taken advantage of by the higher ups and upper management, who seek to only protect themselves and their salaries(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Great People, Great Culture and lots of Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Ayzenberg full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of change has been taking place in management, leadership, work life balance. I have spoke to many people and there is a sense that things are dramatically changing. If you like having a sense of community and getting to know the people you work with then this is the place for you. Everyone makes you feel welcome from day one.

Cons

At this stage of my career I have been at enough places where people always feel the grass is greener. Its not. Its a bit chaotic and small and definitely has upper management issues. Welcome to the workplace environment.

Advice to Management

A need to adapt faster to the changing workforce of this new era.

Ayzenberg2014-01-07

"Nice People But Horrible Work-Life Balance And Management"

I worked at Ayzenberg full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with here are largely talented and passionate. Most employees are kind and respectful. The office space is great, and in a fantastic location. Free lunch. Easy parking.

Cons

Younger employees are taken advantage of by the higher ups and upper management, who seek to only protect themselves and their salaries. Lower level employees are denied well-deserved raises and promotions in favor of keeping things as they are. The management has no clue how to say no to clients, or know when to push back which results in insane deadlines and unforgiving hours. Some will say this is the life of an agency, but I've worked for plenty of other agencies where this was not the case. Management frequently arrives late and leaves early, while lower level employees get stuck doing the lion's share of the actual work. Unless you're a creative or in the social media department I'd recommend staying away from this place. I'd be very surprised if it's still standing in another 10 years.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Know when to say no to clients and pushback in defense of your own employees. Your employees need a properly balanced life-work ratio, and they're not your workhorses to make the magic happen so you don't have to.

Ayzenberg2019-06-12

"Worst place I've ever worked...run."

I worked at Ayzenberg full-time

Pros

Beautiful offices, great benefits, some nice people, and amazing location in Pasadena. From the outside, it looks like the perfect place to work.

Cons

The Social media team is terrible. If you're being recruited for a position there, BEWARE. This place is political, stubborn and generally, unwelcoming. I cannot speak to the rest of the company, but in my 10 months on the social team, I can honestly say that it is one of the worst places I've ever worked. I do not want this to seem like a spiteful review because it is not. That team is like the movie "Mean Girls" with 3 people at the top, upset one of them and it's game over. I saw it happen to me and I saw it happen to 3 people after me. They are extremely set in their ways because they've been there forever and keep getting rewarded by upper management for their "exemplary work". If you don't play their game you won't be playing any game after long. It's the kind of system that you either adapt or they get rid of you. My manager was the worst part by far. She has no business managing others and honestly, she had very little interest either. She wanted to just do her job, whatever that might be, and not be bothered. I know some will chalk it up to agency life and not having the chops to survive. BUT, Buyer beware. This is not somewhere you want to work. I've seen the same thing that happened to me happen to 3 others. All in a matter of 6 months. I ignored all the poor reviews on here and advice from friends that either worked with or for the company. Don't make my mistake.

Advice to Management

Teach people to actually manage. Don't assign employees to people who have zero business managing other people. Break up the Xbox social team. They are set in their ways and have no interest changing.

Ayzenberg2017-10-16

"Great case study in how not to run a successful agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ayzenberg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free catered breakfast on Fridays. Location near Old Town Pasadena and the Memorial Park Gold Line station means you're never too far from things to do on your lunch break or after work.

Cons

Backstabby, clique-ish, catty culture even by ad agency standards. Management is *extremely* title-obsessed. Communication issues extend all the way up to the CEO himself, who -- as one other reviewer below me so accurately put it -- should focus more on going out and securing business than creeping up behind employees and snooping on their every move. Severely understaffed and seemingly hard up for cash despite an impressive list of big-name clients, sleek-looking corporate campus, and executive leadership's ability to fly out to all sorts of wild and wonderful trade shows and take selfies. Expect to do a laundry list of things you've never been trained in and have no expertise in whatsoever as part of your day-to-day job, as Eric Ayzenberg himself often seems to forget what people in his "family" were hired to do. Don't bother maintaining a life outside of work, as Eric and others in upper management will make it a habit to regularly monitor your social media activity. Don't bother pushing back one bit or you'll be told that there's thousands of people eager to take your job. Nobody is eager to take a job here unless they absolutely have to. The only good thing I learned from my time at Ayzenberg was how *not* to conduct myself as a self-respecting ad industry professional.

Advice to Management

It would probably take less energy and less time out of your work day to be collaborative, open, and kind instead of sloughing off any and all responsibilities that don't involve flying out to random trade shows or chewing out your subordinates.

Ayzenberg2016-12-11

"There's Good, Bad, and Ugly."

in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ayzenberg for less than a year

Pros

Get ready for an essay! Most mid to entry-level employees here are awesome - down-to-earth, friendly, hardworking, creative and fun. It's a great place to work if you love gaming and want a casual work environment. Excellent health benefits (this is a recent thing), you can bring your dog to work, and there are some nice perks - free food/snacks, event access (depending on the team), etc. If you are a creative, geeky person that likes wearing jeans and a t-shirt to work, this is sort of up your alley. There's a lot of what you would expect with a boutique ad agency here - some flexibility you might not find at bigger companies (less red tape) and a scrappy, go-get-em culture. Not to encourage bad behavior or anything, but for whatever reason, they put up with a lot of people's crap here. Basically, there's a lot of turnover, but very few of those are due to firings. They take forever to fire someone - even people who are widely agreed agency-wide to be idiots, incompetents or jerks. They usually use their periodic "layoffs" to just get rid of people they don't like or were due to be fired a long time ago. Not sure if this is a "pro" since if you are a hardworking, competent person, this sorta sucks since you'll be stuck working with that idiot.

Cons

The positive/negative experience you get at this agency is highly dependent on what team/department you are in. I cannot emphasize this enough. There is strong favoritism across the board - Eric favors certain departments (creative + whoever makes him money) and ALL senior-levels have favorite staffers and it's openly known. Just as there is the flexibility of a smaller agency, there's also disorganization and some lack of focus and logical prioritization. Basically, there's an identity crisis going on here. Work here only if you are in either social media or a creative - there are a lot of problems in all the other departments. It's literally ranked by department as: 1. social media/creative 2. broadcast 3. accounts 4. interactive 5. media. Biz dev, HR, accounting, and strategy are so small that they are outliers. Eric is a creative himself so he'll protect you (if you made the cut to begin with and can put up with his nitpicking). Social media is the only thing keeping this agency afloat and again, management is good at providing for the social media team here. The pay sucks, but the pay is sorta sucky in most ad agencies anyway - unless you are senior-level. So, you better passionately love your work (ie. be a creative, etc.) because otherwise, you'll want to stab your eyes out with the pay and hours. Get ready to work long, arduous, depressing hours unless you are in social media. For whatever reason, those kids get out at 6pm nearly every day on the dot (er?). Also, the general company culture - instilled in everybody by upper management and trickling down - is a super passive-aggressive under-appreciation of their staffs. If you are in a bad department, team, or not in favor, expect to be consistently treated like you don't know anything and yet, expected to work like a loyal dog. Everyone here - even the better departments - use passive-aggressive, political tactics to get what they want and manipulate you at any given moment. They lack fundamental, human respect and they do think of you as workers - not colleagues - regardless of department. And, get ready to experience a pecking order. It's not professional. In summation, pick the right department. Do not work in interactive or media (This is the ugly part). Period. You have been warned. And, if you are just starting out, this is a good starting point (if it's not interactive or media). You'll get a decent taste of agency life, be able to mess up without them getting rid of you right away, and get in the door because they are open to hiring newbs across all departments. Learn as much as you can here, eat the crap for a bit, then move on to some place better.

Advice to Management

Respect.

Ayzenberg2015-09-20

"Leadership Needs Work"

I have been working at Ayzenberg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great space. Occasionally some good creative. Some good people. Interesting location.

Cons

Terrible management, leadership and communication from upper management.

Advice to Management

Get some real managers in place who know how to lead and inspire a team.

Ayzenberg2014-12-04