B-Line Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Hartley Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall Good"

I have been working at B-Line Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A wonderful vibe for a work environment, filled with knowledgeable people.

Cons

Compensation is below the bar, especially for the work load. There is a general feeling of being understaffed, which leads to higher stress, and longer hours that cut into work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Balance budgets to be able to higher more staff to be able to better develop and support the product. Compensate your current employees better to keep up with DC salaries.

"Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Staff in Washington, DC

I have been working at B-Line Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Young, vibrant, and fun staff
    -Lots of free food and drinks (if your workload/ shift allows)
    -Occasional fun company events, if your schedule allows
    -Executives are young and approachable
    -Nice office in good location
    - Some job roles get to do quite a bit of travel
    -Cutting edge tech environment with lots to learn
    -Competitive benefits plan
    -No dress code ( however most managers still dress to impress)
    -1 Work from home day per week

Cons

-Managers/Execs are all best friends and that creates a major conflict of interest
    -Compensation is very low for the workload/hours/travel/stress most face
    -Some departments work overtime daily, some travel constantly, others haven't seen a 40 hour week all year
    -Training and documentation are lacking
    -Development is slow to update core product
    -Upward mobility/advancement seems limited
    -Work/life balance is disappearing as execs need to hire more staff to keep up with demand

Advice to Management

Consider new approaches and process improvements, leverage your current employees ideas and resources better.

Start a real initiative to improve internal training and documentation, so as to shorten the lengthy on boarding process of new hires in the technical departments

Make things less about personal achievement and status, and more about collective success and sustainability.

Increase compensation across the board, or you will continue to have a turn over issue and never make any progress in terms of employee investment.

Hire more staff from outside to provide a fresh unbiased analysis of the company.

"Great place but definite growing pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Great atmosphere, coworkers and managers really want to see you succeed. Decent in office benefits..happy hours, social events..and team building experiences.

Casual-dress work environment

Free snacks and drinks

Very laid back executives, easy to talk to

Cons

-They state there is a flexible work schedule, however once you get hired you will quickly find out it is not.
    - The salaries seem to be getting better, but definitely have room for improvement, as it's a consistent complaint among employees
    -The exec's seem to make hasty decisions about products before addressing how it will effect their employee's
    -Expect to travel way more then originally told

Advice to Management

-Take more time to create a product, documentation, and implementation, putting the effort and time in the beginning will alleviate a great deal of issues in the long term.
    -Think about hiring some outside management/executives. Most of the management/executive team has had little to no experience at other companies as employees let alone managers.

Sep 1, 2016 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. It's great to get this type of insight from a member of our team into what we're doing well and what we can improve on. The title of your review is... More

"Love it"

I have been working at B-Line Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture with numerous company-sponsored activities. Inspiring mission and vision. Great industry. Good benefits and perks. Big focus on teamwork. Total transparency about the business from upper management. Smart people. Very diverse team.

Cons

Office feels outdated for a tech company. Some departments are understaffed for the amount of work they have to do. No employee stock program.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to the core values as they are important to keep the culture intact as we grow and become more successful. Bring in resources to help the understaffed departments. Ensure you're doing everything in your power to keep the team engaged and motivated. Upgrade the office.

Sep 1, 2016 – HR Manager

Your review is encouraging. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. We work really hard on caring for our people and putting them first, so it’s wonderful to know that our efforts are... More

"Great company, industry, product, people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

Company is very engineering focused, both owners are engineers.

Good team collaboration and mentoring.

Great work environment.. quiet, very good setup for each dev, spacious open rooms, good coffee/snacks/soda.

Encourages participation in and sometimes sponsors tech meetups.

Values good architecture and practices and puts it ahead of deadlines.

Growing company leads lots of room for advancement if you want it (president is former tier 1 support, vp is former graphic designer, all managers except for one were promoted from within and were hired entry level).

Cons

Growing small company that doesn't seem to know if they're a small company or a big company sometimes. Can lead to weird inconsistencies or unmet expectations.

Only has one product so after many years it can get tiring. Overall very low turnover in dev though so this doesn't usually hit people until after 5 years (I recently left after 10).

Advice to Management

Hire more outside managers. Promotion from within is great, but need to balance with experienced managers and new ideas too.

Jun 30, 2016 – HR Manager

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to submit a review. It’s encouraging to receive this review from a former long-tenured employee. We recognize the need to fill skill and experience gaps... More

"A great place to learn, grow and have fun"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at B-Line Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) B line Medical gives you the opportunity to try new things and do the things you like. As a Software Engineer you will work on a variety of technologies and contribute to different parts of the product.
    2) The company values smart techy people. The job is very rewarding, as the product helps train doctors and nurses and saves lives.
    3) It's much more than just a 9 to 5 job where you come, do your thing and leave. The culture is really unique. There are company events and holiday parties. Monthly happy hours that get really crazy sometimes and gives you an opportunity to meet everyone.

I especially recommend this place for college graduates and interns. The managers try very hard to give exciting projects, give you time to learn new skills and keep you motivated.

I especifically want to note the founders' involvement in the development of the company. They are really down to earth guys and are very distinguished in their field.

Cons

1) Some people complain the salary is not the highest. However it really depends on the position, and what your expectations are. They definitely look for the smartest and the brightest. I know the management is working on this issue.
    2) Despite the opportunity to grow your skillset there isn't enough room for Software Engineers to grow their career.

Jun 30, 2016 – HR Manager

We appreciate your insight into the organization after a little more than a year. You are correct that working at B-Line Medical is more than a 9-5 job. We work really hard fueled by the desire of... More

"Great People"

I worked at B-Line Medical full-time

Pros

Working here I did learn a lot. I learned how to think outside the box which is great professional development regardless of what your career is. I also really enjoyed the people that I worked with. It was very difficult to leave.

Cons

They say that they had a 3rd party come in and audit the salaries that they were offering people but I wasn't really sure if the company that did the audit actually and went out and found the average. After leaving, I almost doubled my salary at my current company. It is also a small company so there is really no upward mobility unless the company grows.

Advice to Management

Try to offer a better compensation package. That was one of the few things that I didn't like about working here.

Sep 8, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We often challenge our employees to think as you put it “outside the box”. Our positions at B-Line Medical are unique, and that’s a huge reason why... More

"Ambitious company with strong culture"

I worked at B-Line Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

smart people who are passionate about their mission and making their customers happy
    culture of full transparency, fun and lots of energy
    balance between feeling like a startup and a big company.
    standard perks of a technology company
    extremely ambitious vision but people seem to have rallied behind it
    most managers genuinely care about employees

Cons

not enough career growth opportunities for people that don't want to manage which has caused some good people to leave
    company doesn't move as fast as it used to on the product side which causes stress in other departments
    compensation could be better in the DC area where the cost of living is high
    too selective about hiring which makes filling positions that are desperately needed

Advice to Management

stay committed to the changes that you've been making
    help employees grow even if they can't be promoted for a while
    improve compensation to be more competitive
    hire faster

Jun 17, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. With the awareness you have regarding our organization, I am sorry that you are no longer employed with us.

You are correct that we have a... More

"Important cause and fun environment to work in"

I have been working at B-Line Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good mission - trying to improve healthcare education. Interesting work with universities and hospitals. Fun work environment with interesting people, diverse team and great location in downtown DC.

Cons

A young and inexperienced team can be a strength and weakness at times. Conservative approach to problem solving at times.

Advice to Management

Get more team members direct exposure to clients and client site issues.

Aug 31, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We often challenge our employees to think as you put it “outside the box” our positions at B-Line Medical are unique that’s a huge reason why we hire... More

"Small company trying to make a big difference"

I have been working at B-Line Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and passionate people
    Great company culture where fun is encouraged but you also have to produce results
    Flexible work environment
    Mission that makes me feel good about the work I'm doing
    Company genuinely cares about employee happiness
    Good benefits and perks - bi-weekly telecommute days, lots of company and team events and free snacks and beverages are a few examples

Cons

Sometimes it seems like some departments are working a lot harder than others
    Career growth opportunities are currently limited due to the size of the company but that should change with continued growth
    Two separate office suites for a company our size makes it feel a bit divided
    Overall compensation not as competitive as the government or contractors

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep growing the company to increase compensation and career growth opportunities. It felt like we were starting to lose our way a little but we've been heading in the right direction since leadership changes were made earlier this year. I appreciate Hartley's dedication to pushing innovation, enforcing accountability across the board and making our products better.

Dec 19, 2014 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. You have some great feedback for a three-year employee at B-Line Medical. We grew at a rapid pace over the last few years, and had to get a second... More