B-Reel Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A nice place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at B-Reel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at 6+ shops over my 10 year career and B-Reel is easily the best experience I've had. The founders are still very much involved and have taken pains to ensure its a warm, generous place to work. They very obviously care about the people, the culture, and want to do interesting work.

The structure is pretty flat which gave teams a lot of autonomy; some like that, some don't. I liked it.

The NY office was always comfortable and well-appointed, though it's changed locations since I left.

Even when I left the company, everyone was supportive and congratulatory, eager to see one of their own move onto something new and exciting.

Cons

While I was there, the company was figuring out how to evolve with the changing industry landscape. That led to some people disagreeing with the direction – the work we were doing might not have been the work they came there to do. While the leadership always did its best to be transparent, the transition led to some grumbling and disagreement.

Advice to Management

As the company grows and the industry evolves, keep an eye on what has made B-Reel successful: a commitment to talented, generous people devoted to making great work.

Feb 12, 2018 – CHRO

2. "Swedish company"

I have been working at B-Reel full-time

Pros

- Worth working in a Swedish Company
    - Really Talented people
    - Interesting Projects.
    - Environment.

Cons

- You might end up working overtime... sometimes.

3. "A team of motivated, caring, curious weirdos"

I worked at B-Reel full-time

Pros

Was always encouraged to explore, experiment and learn.

Cons

Undergoing some changes in management and trajectory at the moment (summer 2018)

4. "A great small agency culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at B-Reel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The following relates to my experience, based on just under 4 years in at B-Reel NYC. Overall, I had an incredible experience and truly felt like I found a home at B-Reel. I learned more here than I have at any of my jobs combined (and this was my 3rd role post-university). If you're willing to work hard, fast, and scrappy, you will thrive.

A few things I found especially unique:

- This company goes to extreme measures to not only find versatile talent but also very nice people. Because of this, the office takes on a real family feel. Everyone is supportive and collaborative. Everyone has a voice. A very Swedish culture, which I loved.

- Senior leadership is extremely accessible. Your opinion is welcomed and heard. You can actually affect change in the organization. And when things don't go as planned, there is understanding and support instead of finger-pointing.

- The work is not too precious. Decisions are made quickly and affectively. Politics, for the most part, are not a factor here.

- Because of the size of the team, you will wear many hats no matter your official role. This allows for a more holistic learning experience and gives you the opportunity to broaden your skillset.

- This company was built by the internet and, thus, is constantly evolving to solve client problems in new ways by utilizing new technology/platforms. This means you'll be doing a greater variety of nontraditional work, which keeps things from getting stale.

- Your achievements are recognized and your value is made known to you on a value basis. I always felt I was more than fairly evaluated and compensated.

Cons

- B-Reel is very humble. Work is rarely PR'd and, when it is, individual credits for work are not given. Although awards and trade coverage are a gross, self-indulgent part of this business, they attract better talent and increase individual visibility to the industry.

- A variety of projects and roles within a small shop means that specializing is not an option. This is only a problem if you have a specific type of work you want to be doing more than others or when transitioning back to a more traditional agency structure.

- A digital-first approach to work makes it hard to figure out what type of projects B-Reel should be known for. When I was there, we focused on several different pieces of tech—some of which turned out to be trends.

- There isn't a ton of hierarchy, which is great, but that also means your title is going to change frequently. This can be hard to recoincile when the time does come to look for other opportunities.

Advice to Management

- The special sauce is the people. Keep finding the right people for the job and continue to listen to what they're saying.

- Understand what types of work your team is good and and wants to do, and run in that direction. Say no to the small projects that eat up time and morale. Reinvest that free time in the experimentation that put B-Reel on the map.

5. "Good company"

I worked at B-Reel full-time

Pros

The team is full of really great people who truly care about one another and the work they do. There are some very talented digital production people and designers. Great company culture based a lot of progressive Swedish values.

Although can get very busy at key times, good work/life balance overall.

Cons

Company exists in a very competitive market and needs to focus on fewer areas of the business and invest in people and capabilities in those areas.

Extremely talented production chops but (at times) limited conceptual creativity.

Advice to Management

Try to do fewer things better.

Feb 12, 2018 – CHRO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and the nice words!

6. "A place that loves design and tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA

I worked at B-Reel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with other tech loving folks that want to bring together art and design with technology, interaction, and even game play. A lot of encouragement to experiment with new and cutting edge tools and techniques.

Cons

As with all agency and production work with hard deadlines there will be crunch times. Technical decisions can be made before all team members in charge of implementing things are approached.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, encourage more and more experimental and attention grabbing work. Continue to showcase employee's strengths and passions.

Sep 8, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and the nice words!

"B-Reel is the Disney World of Companies"

I have been working at B-Reel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i have been working at B-Reel for almost 2 years now. Usually after the first 6 months at a company, you can tell whether everything you saw in the interview process was just b.s. or if they are actually practicing what they preach. My experience here was the latter. B-Reel has consistently upheld their core values of innovation, flat dynamic and great place to work.
    Benefits are amazing! Not only are we a dog friendly work place, we have amazing perks too. Dental, medical and vision insurance, the company offers a 401k match, willingly gives a large stipend every year for employees to spend on literally anything that contributes to growing in their field, and they even encourage employees to leave early on Wednesdays to go work out. The founders are super friendly and actually take the time to say hi to new people coming in. Every decision they make is thoughtful and considers all perspectives. Plus you get to work with people that you legitimately want to hang out with outside of work too.

Cons

i am being completely honest when I say that I can't think of any. i have worked at a few prestigious places before B-Reel and none of them come close to the culture, the people and the benefits you find here.

Advice to Management

i would say listen to your junior employees a little more. Check in with them (as well as managers) when making decisions that will impact their office or the company as a whole. I understand that you can't tell everyone everything, but you would be surprised at how much more accepting everyone would be when they feel they are included in decisions or know more about why a decision is happening versus just being told that a major change will occur. Take the time to check in with junior employees more because they are the future of the company (and other great companies) and have opinions about things that they may not feel comfortable voicing due to their junior status. Especially if it is not in line with what senior management is saying. Fresh young ideas and perspectives will help further move the company into the innovative direction we are heading.

Aug 17, 2016 – CHRO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and the nice words! And good advice to listen more to junior employees - we will try to get better at that!

8. "I love B-Reel"

I have been working at B-Reel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company working environment, great and inclusive company culture

Cons

People move around a lot as the company hires freelancers for different projects

Advice to Management

People here do great jobs, I am very happy to work with them

Jun 20, 2016 – CHRO

"OM"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at B-Reel (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work at

Cons

great company to work - awesome!

Advice to Management

great job!

"Good people that work all the time"

Pros

Great work, projects, and people.

Cons

Very little work-life balance. You can be at the office until 1am for an entire week during a launch.