B-Reel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Anders Wahlquist

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"B-Reel is the Disney World of Companies"

I have been working at B-Reel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i have been working at B-Reel for almost 2 years now. Usually after the first 6 months at a company, you can tell whether everything you saw in the interview process was just b.s. or if they are actually practicing what they preach. My experience here was the latter. B-Reel has consistently upheld their core values of innovation, flat dynamic and great place to work.
    Benefits are amazing! Not only are we a dog friendly work place, we have amazing perks too. Dental, medical and vision insurance, the company offers a 401k match, willingly gives a large stipend every year for employees to spend on literally anything that contributes to growing in their field, and they even encourage employees to leave early on Wednesdays to go work out. The founders are super friendly and actually take the time to say hi to new people coming in. Every decision they make is thoughtful and considers all perspectives. Plus you get to work with people that you legitimately want to hang out with outside of work too.

Cons

i am being completely honest when I say that I can't think of any. i have worked at a few prestigious places before B-Reel and none of them come close to the culture, the people and the benefits you find here.

Advice to Management

i would say listen to your junior employees a little more. Check in with them (as well as managers) when making decisions that will impact their office or the company as a whole. I understand that you can't tell everyone everything, but you would be surprised at how much more accepting everyone would be when they feel they are included in decisions or know more about why a decision is happening versus just being told that a major change will occur. Take the time to check in with junior employees more because they are the future of the company (and other great companies) and have opinions about things that they may not feel comfortable voicing due to their junior status. Especially if it is not in line with what senior management is saying. Fresh young ideas and perspectives will help further move the company into the innovative direction we are heading.

B-Reel Response

Aug 17, 2016 – CHRO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and the nice words! And good advice to listen more to junior employees - we will try to get better at that!

2. "A place that loves design and tech"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA

I worked at B-Reel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with other tech loving folks that want to bring together art and design with technology, interaction, and even game play. A lot of encouragement to experiment with new and cutting edge tools and techniques.

Cons

As with all agency and production work with hard deadlines there will be crunch times. Technical decisions can be made before all team members in charge of implementing things are approached.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, encourage more and more experimental and attention grabbing work. Continue to showcase employee's strengths and passions.

3. "I love B-Reel"

I have been working at B-Reel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company working environment, great and inclusive company culture

Cons

People move around a lot as the company hires freelancers for different projects

Advice to Management

People here do great jobs, I am very happy to work with them

B-Reel Response

Jun 20, 2016 – CHRO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review and the nice words!

"OM"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at B-Reel (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work at

Cons

great company to work - awesome!

Advice to Management

great job!

"Good people that work all the time"

Pros

Great work, projects, and people.

Cons

Very little work-life balance. You can be at the office until 1am for an entire week during a launch.

6. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Multimedia Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at B-Reel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very talented and nice people. Fun company culture and flat hierarchy. High reputation and pleasant workplace.

Cons

The workload can be very heavy and stressful. Since the company has been doing well and growing, there are different directions it can go to. It can be exciting but it also comes with unclarity and uncertainty.

"B-Reel is smart at hiring and values its employees"

I have been working at B-Reel full-time

Pros

Great environment, cutting edge projects, top-tier people. The company carefully recruits people that are both qualified and fit with the company culture. Everyone generally gets along and socialize outside of work. The company cares about the well-being of its employees and is always looking for innovative ways to offer more perks. The company is extremely generous to the employees and offers great health benefits, competitive salaries, and many additional perks, which is markedly difficult to find in this economy. Also, fika. Google it.

Cons

Long hours. People do not feel they have an avenue for addressing the long working days and tend to burn out/break down. There is definitely an unspoken pressure to put in as may hours as possible. It is difficult to leave when your manager is still working.

Advice to Management

Lead by example to change the culture of overworking/burning out.

"The Best Place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at B-Reel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

B-reel has a true company culture. It's a collective of some of the most talented designers, animators, producers and developers available in the market.

The work is always pushed to the limits which creates an inspiring and challenging environment for folks that are thirty to do good work.

Cons

Having a work/life balance is challenging when you work in such a passionate place. I cough myself working late hours most of the time which is not the perfect quality life condition.

Advice to Management

Some projects felt under staffed which causes overwork to the team. With more people and been more conscious about the "normal capabilities" of each employee the company will continues to rise inspiring and exciting all of us.

"Passionate and really collaborative"

I have been working at B-Reel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having Swedish roots, is probably the reason that B-Reel feels like such a flat organization. There's no "bosses". There are teams and everyone works together to problem solve. The leaders within the organization are incredibly passionate and so spark excitement into the teams. They're excited about the projects coming in the door, so everyone gets excited too. Their the only company who really doesn't care about the project budget. They care about the possibilities for creative and innovation. And the chance to grow the team members capabilities and knowledge base.

Cons

Hard-working to a fault - Its tough to leave the office when Managers are working there later than everyone else. If they're here late, you kinda feel like you have to be too. Office decor/"professionalism" is not a priority but having a nice space to come to work in and show off a bit sometimes would be really nice.

Advice to Management

Having a full-time office manager who takes on Team initiatives and events has been a nice start to 2014. More of that please!

"Learned "how to hate a workplace""

I worked at B-Reel full-time

Pros

- Daily meetings (even though sometime some of the folks not sure whats going on there)
    - Some of the co-workers are really friendly
    - Senior management are worth while to mention.

Cons

- Long hours without any rewards
    - The communication gaps between the supervisor and the juniors.
    - It felt you can never satisfy the manager
    - People who have been working there for long period of time seems to be friendly with each other but the newer employees are stuck at their own
    - I smelled racism
    - Very poor office environment
    - Overall the worse company to work for.

Advice to Management

No advice as they already know how to have you work your butt off, and treat you like you are nothing.