B&M Retail Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Simon Arora

Pros
  • I like helping my work mates n helping customers and getting 10% discount (in 39 reviews)

• B&M people are the best people from colleague to customer (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Won't pay minimum wage raises untill the next pay which can be anything up to 3 weeks later and won't back pay the difference (in 24 reviews)

• First aid trained members of staff were to a min (in 11 reviews)

1. "The company welcoming and helpful but the job itself is quite stressful with very minimum breaks"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at B&M Retail part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff with a genuine support between all levels of employees. Uniforms are provided. Staff food/drinks are provided (tea and buns). Toilets are clean. Management is immanent at all times. Not an overly difficult job.

Cons

Pay is low and monthly. Hours are long and breaks are minimum. Stressful working as a cashier because there isn't enough staff to cover it.

Advice to Management

For the hours we work, we need more frequent breaks. For the cashiers, standing on their feet for maybe 7/8 hours a day is back breaking - we need stools. The system is great but for cashiers under 18, there should be signs at our tills explaining that they can't sell alcohol/tobacco/knives/lottery tickets/vapes etc so it can redirect customers instead of them becoming frustrated at us

2. "B&M Retail"

I worked at B&M Retail part-time

Pros

the staff are friendly and its a relaxing enviroment and everyone gets on with each other and the jobs are simple to do

Cons

some of the staff was not following company policy with getting rid of cardboard and some people didn't understand the difference between grout and polyfiller

Advice to Management

make sure the staff have a open line communication and biscuits in the canteen make sure the toilets are obstructed

3. "Manager"

I have been working at B&M Retail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company which is really growing fast and allows managers autonomy to really trade their stores which makes the role exciting and different.

Cons

Staff wages. Business really needs to look to become a better than Minimum Wage employer to drive staff engagement

Advice to Management

We have a fantastic business with a great model however we really need to start to think about staff engagement and retention to help us become an employer of choice in the retail market

4. "Cashier/"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leyton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leyton, England (UK)

I worked at B&M Retail full-time

Pros

DISGUSTING COMPANY NEEDS TO B SHUT DOWN- some good workers to have a chat with

Cons

Wrong pay all the time under paided overtime, under staffed. No communication. Shop floor is a mess with no staff pricings all wrong. Store is run by supervisors. Health and safety is ignored. Rota always changing. NO BREAKS allowed.racist management is a major issue. Never get appreciated for doing a good job ever by any one in management.

Advice to Management

WHATS THE POINT OF HEAD OFFICE They don't do a single thing . Part from inform store manager about issues straight away. WORsT company EVER. Learn manners. HAVE PROPER training. Learn how to pay people correctly. STOP GOSSIPING like schoolchildren. THIS company SHOULD BE ASHAMED of themselves IT IS A DISGRACE.

5. "Assistant Manager Roles"

Pros

Good pay, decent hours, good benefits. Chance of real progression in the company.

Cons

Sometimes the hired staff are beyond useless

6. "Easy work, low pay, strange hours"

I worked at B&M Retail part-time

Pros

The work was fairly easy

Cons

Hours were offered randomly which made plans difficult

"Modern day slavery"

Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Speke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in Speke, England (UK)

I have been working at B&M Retail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Probably meeting other nice workers there, apart from that really nothing.

Cons

-Very underpaid. Working as a warehouse operator and doing picking of items makes you like a slave. The staff are just horrible. The most stupid, racist and narcissistic people i've ever seen. Although I am a student, i am treated like the a slave. Really hard targets, long working hours, really small, unpaid break. From a 12 hours shifts you are allowed only one hour break divided in two halves. If you are late even 10 seconds when coming back from a break, 15 minutes of payment are cut off your ballance.
    Also being told that you can't leave for a toilet break if you're not 'on Target' by one of the warehouse supervisors is not a pleasant thing either. Basically you are treated like a slave and you are expected to behave like one. No further career options, no benefits, no payment extra for weekend and night shifts. Absolutely would not recommend.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees as objects and stop being so racist and close minded. We are humans too.

8. "Your own business"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at B&M Retail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You really make all the decisions in your store. So much autonomy. Best work life balance I've had working in retail. 10% staff discount. No rigid process with regard to deployment it's yours! Freedom to recruit staff and give them great contracts.

Cons

Pay is poor but reflects pressure. Hard to motivate team as shifts change based on sales and no additional incentives. Very fast paced. Real lack of internal development at the moment.

Advice to Management

Develop the team you have. The business is changing but many managers and colleagues are adaptable you just need to train them and not write them off.

9. "Good place to start"

I have been working at B&M Retail part-time

Pros

They accept alot of people who havent previously had jobs.

Cons

The technology and evnvironment is outdated even in the new stores.

10. "Wouldn't recommend!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at B&M Retail part-time

Pros

10% discount
    Other staff and customers are usually friendly.

Cons

No chairs for till staff
    Automatic doors broke during the winter. Tills are right by doors and it was freezing!!
    No regular shift patterns. Rota is given at last minute and they slash your hours the minute sales are down. You'll generally work 16 hours over 4 days. Very low wage (less than 600 a month) and management aren't helpful.
    Lots of favouritism. Management promote their mates and others are overlooked.
    Staff are scared to speak out due to constant surveillance!
    Staff are subject to constant searches.
    Low regard for health and safety during store build.
    Management sit around watching cameras and drinking coffee whilst staff are working like dogs!

Advice to Management

We're in the 21st century!!