B&M Retail Reviews
65% would recommend to a friend
(3274 total reviews)
52% approve of CEO
Found 3,274 of over 3K reviews
Updated Dec 7, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The staff is friendly and I truly felt like I was part of a supportive team." (in 269 reviews)
- "Good management and allow for growth" (in 156 reviews)
- "My colleagues are great and everyone is friendly." (in 138 reviews)
- "I have a great team and I am proud everyday to say I work for this company." (in 125 reviews)
- "Great opportunities with career advancement even at younger ages.Fantastic skill building and team work instore." (in 61 reviews)
- "Low pay (only minimum wage even if overtime is done) Slow job progression and low contracted hours" (in 272 reviews)
- "Minimum wage while requiring a lot of responsibility to ensure stock adjustments/reports are accurate for audits and stocktakes" (in 209 reviews)
- "Can be long hours and very tiring" (in 128 reviews)
- "Downside with B&M is the pay it’s national minimum wage would be better if it was slightly higher." (in 108 reviews)
- "manager was rude and disrespectful" (in 85 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of B&M Retail and is not affected by filters.
- 3.0Dec 5, 2023Floor ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsSunderland, North East England, England
10% discount Progression Training program
Company high expectation Low basic salary
- 1.0Dec 2, 2023Floor ManagerCurrent Employee
there is nothing positive to say at all
min wage hardly any staff and the area manager wants the shop looking an 8 ALL DAY! especially during peak trade with only about 2-3 people on the shop floor whom sometimes have to also jump on a till. unrealistic pallet aim per hour on replen team warehouse rammed so staff are working outside on car park no security so we’re hit massively by shoplifters zero praise from above yet they’re the ones who get their bonus?? for doing what
- 4.0Dec 1, 2023Price Controller/CSACurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsAyr, Scotland
Great management team. Great co workers.
Understaffed, busy and very stressful at times.
- 1.0Nov 26, 2023Retail AssistantCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearLeeds, England
Hours have always been good for me and flexible, however friend works at a store in Newcastle so honestly it depends on the management. I can pretty much work whenever I want and start whenever. My friend can only work night shifts and the management don't seem as understanding and won't let him work certain shifts (he's a student). 10% discount and double discount on pay day weekend so the company can take some of our money back lol
Painfully repetitive if you are on shop floor, all you do is face up the shop Understaffed constantly since hours are based on how much money each store takes in. We have a pretty big store that should really have more than 25 people, since we take in less money though we have such a high workload. I stayed till 1am just to finish some change overs because no one else could work that day No time and a half rates on bank holidays, extremely disgusting considering we now have to work new years day. Last year I worked Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, all I got was a measly £10 in cash (used to be a gift voucher) which is actually supposed to be for a Christmas party I believe. The whole system is so backwards I don't think I could explain how awful it is without having to show you. Always sending excess stuff we don't need because we sold 1 item of it in 6 months, or 15 deliveries in one week (i think that's a lot but I don't know I do not work in replenishment but I do know our backstock shelves rarely get worked because of how many deliveries we get in so I'd love to know how much is actually out of date2
- 2.0Nov 23, 2023Retail AssistantCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearCardiff, Wales
Colleagues great, management think alot of themselves,
Rotas done on a Saturday ------ready for the day after----one days notice-----no way to treat staff,
B&M Retail Reviews FAQs
B&M Retail has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 3,447 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at B&M Retail to a friend and 61% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.
65% of B&M Retail employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated B&M Retail 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.