B&Q Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2019

Found 826 reviews

3.2
Graham Bell
Pros
  • "Great Benefits, Friendly atmosphere, room for progression, staff discount(in 59 reviews)

• "Really good pay ( depending on the location of the store you get paid extra for busier stores)(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not enough people know about the great variety of rewards and benefits that B&Q offer(in 62 reviews)

• "From what i've seen, it's not always easy to get a full-time contract(in 24 reviews)

"Good for people only needing low hour work that don't expect anything out of it."

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Wales, WI

I have been working at B&Q part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Close team that works well together and helps each other out. OK pay if the level system is used in your store (More experienced = hire pay but this is hardly used in any store) Busy workload so you always have something to do. From other staff I know that it is quite a flexible place to work for parents and students with most colleagues willing to swap shift to help if they can.

Cons

Zero career aspects for most people. It isn't about what you know but how much you suck up to management. No full time contracts and hours go to the friends of managers instead of hard workers that get the job done. No feedback from management on how to improve or on tasks that need doing. Too many decisions made by people from high up with no clue of how a store actually works.

Advice to Management

From my experience in a revamped store, zero guidance and leadership isn't the way a store should be run. Helping your staff and thanking them daily would go a long way to improve the morale and happiness of all colleagues which would in turn make them more satisfied working for this company and for you. The main problem I have come across is the lack of communication between management and their staff which just leaves...

B&Q2015-05-06
  2. "Great starting point for a "REAL JOB""

Former Employee - Showrooms Customer Adviser

I worked at B&Q part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's simple to apply, it treats even low level employees with quite a bit of respect. I was able to learn anything i wanted to about the store our systems and sales skills in general, working there for just a few mouth's opened TONS of doors for me to do other things.

Cons

Pay was pretty poor, don't let it become who you are. My personal manger was very hands off I felt he wasn't very productive in general and was much more worried about his future then the stores.

B&Q2014-01-14
  3. "Good company"

I have been working at B&Q full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really flexible team and a supportive environment, are encouraged to try new things and be curious in other teams as well as with your own work.

Cons

Opportunities to progress can be limited or few and far between.

B&Q2019-06-18
  4. "Flexible hours, okay pay, friendly colleagues"

Former Employee - Showroom Customer Advisor in Liverpool, England

I worked at B&Q part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible around university/college commitments

Cons

Long hours on weekends, inconsistent shift pattern

B&Q2019-06-17
  5. "Friendly place to work"

Former Employee - Trading Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at B&Q full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are great Believe in promoting within

Cons

Bad business plans from Senior management caused me to be made redundant Poor decisions constantly made by head office higher management

Advice to Management

Improve supply chain issues Decide on one plan for staff to follow not several at once which affects customer service

B&Q2019-06-17

"Good for a part time job during college"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cork

I worked at B&Q part-time for more than a year

Pros

8 hour contract worked for me, worked one day on weekend but could work up to 40 hours if i wanted to. Time and a Half on Sundays

Cons

When it is quiet can be a lot of pointless work

B&Q2019-06-06
  7. "Corporate"

Former Employee - Showroom Assistant in London, England

I worked at B&Q part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good wage at 9.58 in certain locations ( Greenwich) Majority of colleagues are nice Easy work

Cons

Not very flexible Toxic environment due certain managers

B&Q2019-06-19
  8. "not a company to work for"

Former Employee - Team Leader/Supervisor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at B&Q full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

staff discount and cheap deals on returned stock

Cons

aggressive management style BULLYING no work life balance shift hours changes daily refused days off make to work excessive LONG shifts no team work or management team no staff moral ..........................................................................

Advice to Management

stop just giving out informal actions and actually have a conversation face to face. life isn't just b and q people also have a life outside work if a complaint is made formally dont just ignore it try resolve it without threats ! let other people have an opinion without been called negative stop employing and protecting family members .................. ..........

B&Q2019-06-18
  9. "Flexible company with lovely people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandlers Ford, England

I have been working at B&Q part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great facilities, gym, Costa, great canteen, lovely people, fantastic pension, good maternity pay, open to flexible working.

Cons

Not many layers of management so progression can be limited, park and ride a bit of a faff.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your colleagues, people aren’t easily replaceable.

B&Q2019-06-02

B&Q Response

June 10, 2019Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for this glowing review - it's lovely to read that you're enjoying working at SSO, we'll be sure to share your feedback with the leadership team.

10. "Great progression opportunities"

Current Employee - Change Planner in Southampton, England

I have been working at B&Q

Pros

Good benefits, plenty of opportunities to progress. Fairly flexible.

Cons

Although good progression opportunities can be difficult to progress within role.

B&Q2019-06-02

B&Q Response

June 10, 2019Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for leaving your positive comments, glad to read that you'd recommend B&Q as an employer. Please do take a look at L&D's intranet page to sign up for some of the 'Grow in SSO' courses - there's some beauties on there to help you with personal development.

Found 826 reviews