KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Kingfisher
Engaged Employer

B&Q

Add a Review

B&Q Employee Reviews about "hour"

Updated Oct 2, 2022

Found 26 of over 2,261 reviews

3.6
B&Q CEO Graham Bell (no image)
Graham Bell

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "I also really appreciated that working there as a 19 year old I got good pay that was well above the minimum wage.(in 214 reviews)
  • "The people I worked with were great and made it nicer to come to work.(in 141 reviews)
  • "Staff are friendly and always know how to have a good laugh so there's always plenty of banter instore.(in 139 reviews)
  • "Very diverse job; colleagues are great.(in 112 reviews)
  • "20% DISCOUNT and flexible hours(in 67 reviews)
Cons
  • "some of the management is poor and act like they're better than the customer advisors.(in 188 reviews)
  • "Managers do not own up to their mistakes unethical dismissals and informal actions and they decide to do what ever they want(in 117 reviews)
  • "No training and are expected to know loads about the products straight away and called an expert!(in 40 reviews)
  • "Some management seem to think bullying and intimidation is the best tactic.(in 30 reviews)
  • "No career progression opportunities(in 22 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "hour"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not too bad

Feb 24, 2018 - Night Shift Stock Replenishment in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Night shift gives you a chance to learn how to drive a forklift, a wave/caddy machine and electric pump truck. You can build up a lot of warehousing skills like banding pallets, picking orders, unloading deliveries, managing stock etc. Once trained on all the machines and first aid training, the night shift wage can work out to around 10.50 an hour depending on your store bonus. For example the basic rate is 7.81, my store has a location bonus of 1.00 per hour, you get 1.50 extra night shift bonus between 10 pm - 5 am but you have a 1 hour unpaid break at 2-3 am. Forklift training will get you 25 pounds extra a month and first aid training will get you 10 pounds extra a month. Net salary after tax works out to 14-1500 a month.

Cons

Day time staff do not understand what the night shift do and always like to play blame game. We should be able to skip the unpaid break and go home home an hour early. The nature of the job is exhausting, both mentally and physically, many people i know used to be full time have found another job but keep this as a second job because 20 hours a week will still get you 7/800 a month.

1 person found this review helpful

B&Q Response

Hi there, Glad you enjoy working with us and learning lots of skills on the night shift. I've shared your comments regarding progression and staffing with the relevant teams. Thanks.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Worked at worse places but also far better

Dec 27, 2018 - Customer Advisor in Chorley, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team recruited with care - hard workers who support each other, mix of ages Opportunity to develop if desired Time and a half on bank holidays - but they may have got rid of this now Duty/store managers down to Earth and lead by example by working hard and being good with customers

Cons

Takes ages to get staff discount PPT/forklift truck trainer aggressive and racist Company ran on a shoe-string. They prefer to hire people on part-time contracts (expecting overtime of course!) and cut their hours when needed. Ran from Head Office without a clue of what's going on on the ground - underfunded and undermanned with underemployed staff and stressed out managers. Culture of having to be positive all the time instead of saying what you think/what can be improved Hourly pay not great Poor benefits Night pay bonus is poor (£1.50 an hour and only for hours between 10pm-5am) Weekend, evening, bank holiday work expected No sick pay Boring, useless tick-box computer-based training The tannoy system - repetitive list of a hundred or so bad covers of popular songs. You will need brain bleach Nepotistic management structure at regional level 'who you know not what you know'

2 people found this review helpful

B&Q Response

Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for your feedback and for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. In response, here's some answers to your points that may help to advise others. Company discount is available after completion of 3 months service, which is pretty standard across retailers. Our Recruitment team are increasing the amount of full-time contracts available for store colleagues but part-time contracts have always been more in demand to help colleagues to work flexibly, so we'll try to find a better balance. Hopefully you felt able to share your concerns on our bi-annual colleague Glint survey, or with your People's Forum rep, or with your line manager, or with your People Partner, or with our Employee Relations team - they're all there to support and help to raise and manage colleague issues, and make improvements where possible. Weekend, evening and bank holiday work is expected, as with all retailers and customer service based industries. We do have a really generous sick pay policy in place, so sorry if you found this to be insufficient - again, hopefully you were able to share your concerns with the support teams in place, as listed above. There's a working group in place to review and influence the music choices played in stores, full details available on Yammer. We'll share your feedback regards training with our L&D team, as they've spent the past year introducing video and audio learning modules, interactive training (Jollydeck) and are now looking at even more interesting ways to develop our people. Finally, your comments about nepotism and power will be passed across to the Retail Leadership team. Thanks again for your time at B&Q, and we wish you all the best for your future career.

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

B&Q may not be for you

Mar 16, 2017 - Customer Service in Birmingham, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly staff Good variety of work Health and safety conscious 20 % staff discount Good recycling, sustainability procedures

Cons

If on a late shift you always get out 10-20 mins after the shop closes and you dont get paid Managers seem too keen, they eat, breath and sleep,B&Q, making it feel like you've joined a cult It is very physical work, always moving goods or putting on overhead shelves Very poor pay £7.66 an hour for customer service advisor - considering how hard you work You take people on low hourly contracts then expect them to work full time You dont usually get 2 days off in the week together

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst working experience I've ever encountered.

Apr 8, 2017 - Trading Manager in London, England