KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Kingfisher
Engaged Employer

B&Q

Add a Review

B&Q Employee Reviews about "manager"

Updated Oct 2, 2022

Found 114 of over 2,261 reviews

3.6
B&Q CEO Graham Bell (no image)
Graham Bell

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "I also really appreciated that working there as a 19 year old I got good pay that was well above the minimum wage.(in 214 reviews)
  • "The people I worked with were great and made it nicer to come to work.(in 141 reviews)
  • "Staff are friendly and always know how to have a good laugh so there's always plenty of banter instore.(in 139 reviews)
  • "Very diverse job; colleagues are great.(in 112 reviews)
  • "20% DISCOUNT and flexible hours(in 67 reviews)
Cons
  • "some of the management is poor and act like they're better than the customer advisors.(in 188 reviews)
  • "Managers do not own up to their mistakes unethical dismissals and informal actions and they decide to do what ever they want(in 117 reviews)
  • "No training and are expected to know loads about the products straight away and called an expert!(in 40 reviews)
  • "Some management seem to think bullying and intimidation is the best tactic.(in 30 reviews)
  • "No career progression opportunities(in 22 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "manager"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

It is vast, meaning there is a lot of opportunity

May 22, 2019 - Online Merchandiser in Southampton, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great, no matter what team you work in the people really do help to make the workplace a home. Its huge, so there is always a lot of opportunity, I have worked in 2 different departments before making a move to the most recent role. B&Q have always supported me in advancing my career and changing jobs to keep me on my toes and interested. Great benefits, and a lovely building to work in.

Cons

Its huge! for some people this can be daunting, as there is a lot of process and a lot of teams relying on each to get a task done. This means the company can be slow to react and get things done. If you can cope with this then you will probably stay for a long time like a lot of people do. Lack of flexible working (it is all manager dependent) and is still frowned upon in teams if you want/need to work from home. We have a sister company in the building that do not seem to struggle with the concept of it.

B&Q Response

Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Many thanks for reviewing your B&Q experience. We're really pleased to hear that you're enjoying the friendly culture at our Southampton Store Support Office (SSO). Developing our colleagues and opening new opportunities for them to grow their careers within our business is really important to us all, and you're right - the office is huge and there's lots of teams to explore a career in. We're looking at ways to encourage flexible working across all teams, as it can be tricky in practice to make this way of working a reality for everyone - but we'll get there. It's high on the agenda, so thanks for flagging this up. We hope you continue to enjoy your B&Q career.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good pay but hard work

Feb 25, 2018 - Customer Advisor in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay 20% discount Flexible shifts

Cons

Very tiring, manual labour lifting heavy things. It was a fast paced environment and busy store, where I literally would get customers asking for help everywhere I turned, I would never get to my break on time because I would get stopped by customers. Also very bad training when I started the job, I had to teach myself everything and learn from colleagues as managers did not take time to train new staff. The store was understaffed because people were leaving so frequently or getting dismissed, so I would get customers letting their frustrations out on me which wasn't very nice. The store manager was very unprofessional and always would pick at me for no reason whatsoever. Also the steel toed work boots were awful, and way too big. Poor HR department, I got my P45 2 months after I left, when I would ask them questions about things they wouldn't even know themselves.

B&Q Response

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. Amongst other things you've mentioned issues with training, I'd like to get this shared with the relevant teams to make sure we're making improvements. Thanks.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Progression only if you're in the clicque

May 31, 2022 - Customer Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Staff discounts are about the only thing

Cons

no career progression unless you are in with the management. I was two steps away from applying for the managment career path and my manager found numerous excuses not to sign off on my training. I discovered staff that were part-time and started after me had been sent forward without them having completed their basic training fully. Also, recognition goes to the wrong people. I had a colleague ask me about certain items for a customer and after helping her and the said customer, she got a reward of a gift voucher for 'going above and beyond' with her customer. I was ignored. 'Team' is cutthroat, managers hide when the phone rings as well.

4. 1.0