KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Part of Kingfisher
Engaged Employer

Add a Review

B&Q Employee Reviews about "people"

Updated Sep 23, 2022

Found 400 of over 2,251 reviews

3.6
B&Q CEO Graham Bell (no image)
Graham Bell

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "I also really appreciated that working there as a 19 year old I got good pay that was well above the minimum wage.(in 206 reviews)
  • "Staff are friendly and always know how to have a good laugh so there's always plenty of banter instore.(in 142 reviews)
  • "The people I worked with were great and made it nicer to come to work.(in 137 reviews)
  • "Very diverse job; colleagues are great.(in 111 reviews)
  • "Flexible hours and always chance for overtime(in 74 reviews)
Cons
  • "some of the management is poor and act like they're better than the customer advisors.(in 196 reviews)
  • "Managers do not own up to their mistakes unethical dismissals and informal actions and they decide to do what ever they want(in 112 reviews)
  • "No training and are expected to know loads about the products straight away and called an expert!(in 42 reviews)
  • "Some management seem to think bullying and intimidation is the best tactic.(in 29 reviews)
  • "No career progression(in 21 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Jul 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

B&Q as an employer is somewhere i would fully recommend. I worked in the store support office for nearly 4 years and in that time worked with some great people. The opportunity to drive your own career is apparent and whilst the expectation is it is self driven, there is opportunity for anyone who is willing to go above and beyond and work hard. I feel like everyday i had the ability to make a real difference and have been supported well throughout my time in the business.

Cons

B&Q's reward package is average based on the external market and i feel in certain areas of the business (particularly the head office) a review of salaries needs to happen in order to retain the great talent that is there.

Be the first to find this review helpful

B&Q Response

B&Q

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave us this review! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying your time with us. In regards to your comments on our reward package and salaries, we'll have this fed back accordingly.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Bad culture, unprofessional leadership

Apr 13, 2018 - Designate Deputy Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The store teams are brilliant. Lovely dedicated people who support each other and do their best. Varied hours and shift patterns available

Cons

Extremely bad management culture. A lot of unchecked ego amongst store management team and I genuinely feel there are some people who would fail the psychopath test. Shouting and swearing at staff are seen as acceptable. Poor training standards. Poor communication and leadership skills amongst senior management.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Showroom Customer Advisor

Apr 11, 2016 - Showroom CA in Galway
    Business Outlook

Pros

They pay better than minimum wage. The people I worked with were great and made it nicer to come to work.

Cons

Some managers could be a bit harsh (not all!). Took a while to get paid more even though I was doing more than I should have been for my rank, but I was eventually put up to level 4.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Wage too low

Feb 3, 2022 - Customer Service
    Business Outlook

Pros

20% discount after few months employment

Cons

No point having 20% off when people struggling to pay bills on such a low hourly wage. Shifts are never regular regarding start and finish times and rotas not always planned ahead, so difficult to plan any activities outside work.

Be the first to find this review helpful