KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Kingfisher
Engaged Employer

B&Q

Add a Review

B&Q Employee Reviews about "training"

Updated Oct 2, 2022

Found 212 of over 2,261 reviews

3.6
B&Q CEO Graham Bell (no image)
Graham Bell

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "I also really appreciated that working there as a 19 year old I got good pay that was well above the minimum wage.(in 214 reviews)
  • "The people I worked with were great and made it nicer to come to work.(in 141 reviews)
  • "Staff are friendly and always know how to have a good laugh so there's always plenty of banter instore.(in 139 reviews)
  • "Very diverse job; colleagues are great.(in 112 reviews)
  • "20% DISCOUNT and flexible hours(in 67 reviews)
Cons
  • "some of the management is poor and act like they're better than the customer advisors.(in 188 reviews)
  • "Managers do not own up to their mistakes unethical dismissals and informal actions and they decide to do what ever they want(in 117 reviews)
  • "No training and are expected to know loads about the products straight away and called an expert!(in 40 reviews)
  • "Some management seem to think bullying and intimidation is the best tactic.(in 30 reviews)
  • "No career progression opportunities(in 22 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "training"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good job, friendly people

Jan 17, 2020 - Customer Advisor in Bournemouth, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good social environment, big age range so not many dramas. Learn new &useful things about DIY. People are friendly, everyone is likeminded which makes a great atmosphere. Pay really good for what you do. Discount useful for gifts! If not doing your own house up.

Cons

No training and are expected to know loads about the products straight away and called an expert! Management can be quite unhelpful with difficult customers and when they do help they usually undermine what you have already told them.

Continue reading

B&Q Response

Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback, we'll be sure to forward it on to the relevant regional teams. Glad that you're enjoying the colleague diversity in your store, but sad to read that you don't feel that there's enough training. Please do ask your line manaer if you need additional support, as there's a huge range of development options on our intranet.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Progression only if you're in the clicque

May 31, 2022 - Customer Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Staff discounts are about the only thing

Cons

no career progression unless you are in with the management. I was two steps away from applying for the managment career path and my manager found numerous excuses not to sign off on my training. I discovered staff that were part-time and started after me had been sent forward without them having completed their basic training fully. Also, recognition goes to the wrong people. I had a colleague ask me about certain items for a customer and after helping her and the said customer, she got a reward of a gift voucher for 'going above and beyond' with her customer. I was ignored. 'Team' is cutthroat, managers hide when the phone rings as well.

Continue reading
  3. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Customer Advisor

Nov 21, 2016 - Customer Advisor in Chard, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really friendly team, nice hours, overtime occasionally. Get to meet lots of different people. Training is good so you're confident in what your doing

Cons

Some more checkouts would be good. More staff at the weekends. More in stock for the customers and maybe some more training in actual DIY products would be good

4. 5.0
    Former Employee

Sales assistant

Nov 26, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and wage

Cons

Training was very slow once you start as some of the equipment required training in other stores with a qualified trainer

B&Q Response

Employer Brand & Attraction Manager

Thanks for recommending B&Q as a great place to work - all the best for your next role.

5. 1.0