BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Julian Cracknell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can easily go out the window (in 16 reviews)

• Few months after I got promoted (my direct supervisor was at a director level) senior management changed - not only in my opinion for worse (in 32 reviews)

"Need better management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall good work environment. I found the pay and benefits were good. My coworkers were great and had good collaboration with those in the UK.

Cons

Major changes in the company. Need to find a better direction. Not enough communication when things aren't going well. Recent layoffs.

Advice to Management

Find out what BAE AI is good at. What the strengths are and where focus is needed.

Sep 15, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We wish you the best of luck with your next role.

"Low morale and office politics"

Current Employee - Security Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Security Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never need to work more than 40 hours unless you want overtime

People always call out so there is plenty of overtime to grab

Free snacks provided

Free lunch on Friday

Can learn a lot in short time

Financial incentive to complete a training folder in first 3 months which is easy

Cons

High turnover rate. The best employees have already left

Coworkers that are left are newer that do not have good networking background

Caste system in play. If you are on the first tier good luck!! You will get all of the phone calls plus tickets while second tier sits out of doing any type of real work while getting paid more than you to do it!!

No promotions unless you are good friends or family

Huge workload for very low pay compared to competition

Pay raises are 3% a year

Tiny bonuses

Advice to Management

Better communication!! People took a low pay when starting in the promises of raises and promotions in at least a year. Two years later and things are not looking good for BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Pay people what they are worth before more good people leave.

"terrible company - colonial atrocities"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- knows how to poach employees and ruin their career

Cons

- Colonial atrocities - they make rules so that they can make your life miserable
    - highly insensitive company and people in the organization
    - good people already left what remains in top is bunch of old timers who don't know how to operate and can't succeed
    - Only bootlicking survives, mediocrity prevails
    - talent doesn't, if you are around it means you need to start looking out soon

Advice to Management

- shut down the Applied intelligence arm in USA and Canada
    - You are losing customers and will continue to lose
    - Remove old PS leadership global and local

"The ship is sinking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

A few Good People
    Pension and 401K with matching
    Health Benefits
    Work Life Balance... not a soul in the office after 5pm.

Cons

Lizard People in management roles
    Kit Kats are topic of discussion on every All Hands Call
    Secure network, but worst helpdesk and IT
    Lack of engaged people in key roles....
    Low Morale....all time low,
    No Strategy
    No Development of employees
    High Turnover
    No promotions
    No bonuses
    Politics
    Pockets of layoffs all over the business and more to come
    We are already understaffed in most areas
    Immature company
    Lack of motivation for most people
    Lack of empathy for anyone working here
    Closing Offices
    Half the company is under NDA on secretive work taking place....more layoffs... it was announced on the all hands calls.
    Lack of Sales in all regions with no accountability
    Senior Leaders keep leaving millionaires and we hire internal Management to fix their mistakes. This guy hired a bunch of consultants to come in... it's like the British version of "Office Space".

Advice to Management

Sell it all off, focus on defense where you know how to sell to governments. This team has business trying to sell into

"Can I give negative stars?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

Some of the people are decent.
    You come here to die and fill your 401K for the last years of your career without having to do any work or perform.
    If you are a sales person and are a low performer, come here and apply... they will hire you and never fire you for poor performance.. in fact, you will be encouraged more to sandbag commitments.
    You can date your colleagues because no one here cares... it's rampant and if you like being sexually harassed and are a woman, this is the perfect environment for you.
    If you are not that bright, not a top performer and lazy.... this is the perfect employer... the smart ones either die a slow death here or eventually leave. Yet, you're stuck with the idiots from the acquisitions that you wonder how they even got out of bed.

Cons

Turnover, this place will ruin your career and make you dumb downed, as you will not use your brain, but will follow poor leadership decisions and do what the Boys Club has decided you will do...
    The management team does not know what they are doing. They have so much turnover, no strategy, the products fail and are so difficult to implement when sold that our customers get very upset and we end up in a very negative situation. We cannot get a single customer to endorse us...

They don't pay market and there are no bonuses paid out, yet they beat you down on the salary and there is limited movement, unless you're a man and have some sort of connection with the boys club in the UK. Even the leadership in the other regions seem lost, as they have no direction. Now, they acquired several companies over the past few years and now trying to recover from ruins, as these were obviously bad buys... .it's like BAE AI didn't think that they would have to put any money into the products and it would just sell.. this is software, not submarines.

The management that they have is mostly from BAE the parent company, where they have a background working with military contracts, not the enterprise commercial software/services markets, so it's no wonder that they are failing. There is no vision for growth, no innovation in this company, as it will ruin your career working here... as you will become increasingly less valuable on the job market.. you will go blind, dim and lose your will to try anymore, as nothing gets done here... just a lot of hot air until some leader loses over 50 million pounds and you lose your job, yet the retain and promote the same people that made the decisions that led to the loss. The irony is that the management responsible for losing the money left as millionaires.... see you suckers! Then, they promote someone who is partially responsible for the bad decisions to head the company ..and he went out and hired a bunch of consultants in the UK to come in and fire everyone... I wonder what they're costing? Another smart decision.

Then, when this happens... leadership --All white men will hide behind HR to lead the layoffs...

Sexual predators are rampant in this company... all regions.
    So many angry, disgruntled employees that create hostile work environments.
    You keep non performers and management on staff, yet even our customers and teams do not want to work with them and we still have managers that have entire teams quit and leave and are complaining about their manager's, yet they are always rewarded and there is never any action taken against these manager's.

Advice to Management

You should all be fired and let whoever is left hire people with actual Software/Tech experience help try to redeem this failing company and see if they can help the products.
    Stop discussing Lizard People and Free Kit Kats in the same breath that you are announcing layoffs.. this is not a laughing matter.

Stop the boys club... this is not Donald Trump's administration. You need to hire more diverse talent...maybe some women in leadership would help.

Take a good look at your turnover, you lose good people because of your ignorance. After witnessing a talented woman being made to feel inferior in a meeting with executives, I was and still am disgusted by your arrogance and behaviour.
    I've witnessed and been a victim of sexual innuendo's, sexual harassment and perverse comments while here and the boys club gets away with it...not one person in HR does anything about it... even if reported, as the people committing these atrocities know they are safe.... Step up and do the right thing here. This is why you had several lawsuits, because you were turning a blind eye to this happening.

As soon as I get another job, I'm resigning ... gave this place far too much time in hopes that it would redeem itself, but it's only getting worse.

Advice: Sell off SilverSky and Norcom, if you're not going to invest in the products and people... offshoring is not the answer to your financial issues...

"Great technology, unclear strategy"

Former Employee - Graduate Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Graduate Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great exposure to top financial services organisations, minimal travel required, hours are usually fine although occasional weekend work is needed to meet deadlines.

Cons

Unclear product strategy and translation of company vision to staff on the ground. Career progression for technical staff is poorly defined.

Advice to Management

Reduce the spread of technical staff and put in a single location to help knowledge sharing, growth, and team cohesion.

Jun 27, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

"Long on cons with one or two pros"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zero stress. Super relaxed working environment. Nobody works more than 40 hours a week and nobody checks email during off hours. EMEA gets a ridiculous amount of vacation time, which on one hand seems unfair to Americas employees, but the flipside is that nothing happens whatsoever for all of August and December so it's like a working vacation for Americans.

Overall a great place to work if you're not ambitious or just want to take a career break for a while.

Cons

An absurd amount of bureaucracy. It's impossible to get anything done. This is a defense contractor, so if you're used to working for a commercial organization get ready to be shocked. If you're coming from a startup you wonder if you stepped into a vortex to an alternate universe.

Corporate communications are atrocious and the board is disengaged and aloof.

Culture is a mess. They bought two commercial software startups that were high growth market leaders and managed to run both businesses into the ground and drive away all of the talent they acquired. Every A player from Norkom and SilverSky from the execs to the rank and file is now gone. Most of the B talent has left as well. A lot of the A talent from Detica remains to this day, so it seems that Ai is destined to be a prestigious, low margin, steady growth consultancy. Which is actually fine if that's what they want to be, it just makes no sense whatsoever to try to incubate software companies in that environment.

Advice to Management

This is way too hard a problem to solve. I guess I would say focus on what you're good at - consulting. Find a buyer for the software assets and focus on regions where the BAE and Detica brands have equity - EMEA and maybe APJ? I would definitely get out of the Americas it's just way too big of a cultural clash.

8. "FMV Analyst"

Current Employee - FMV Analyst
    Current Employee - FMV Analyst

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time

Pros

-Great Work
    -Great People
    -First and second line managers are willing to go to bat for you

Cons

-head office is detached and uncaring, but is getting better
    -training team and procedures don't listen to actual analysts

Advice to Management

Recent change in management has greatly improved morale, keep heading the road you are on.

9. "Amazing Company!!!!"

Current Employee - Deployment Travel Adisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Deployment Travel Adisor in Washington, DC

Pros

I have had the most amazing experience with this company. The growth opportunities are endless.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Jun 27, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. Keep up the great work!

10. "Great company"

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Dayton, OH

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience working for BAE S&I on an FMS contract.

Cons

The management did not assist with obtaining another position inside the company due to a reduction in force.

Advice to Management

Try to do a better job of trying to re-assign employees instead of laying them off.