BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Julian Cracknell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can easily go out the window (in 16 reviews)

• Senior management do not appear to have an agreed position and direction is often changed (in 30 reviews)

1. "Need better management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall good work environment. I found the pay and benefits were good. My coworkers were great and had good collaboration with those in the UK.

Cons

Major changes in the company. Need to find a better direction. Not enough communication when things aren't going well. Recent layoffs.

Advice to Management

Find out what BAE AI is good at. What the strengths are and where focus is needed.

"Great technology, unclear strategy"

Former Employee - Graduate Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Graduate Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great exposure to top financial services organisations, minimal travel required, hours are usually fine although occasional weekend work is needed to meet deadlines.

Cons

Unclear product strategy and translation of company vision to staff on the ground. Career progression for technical staff is poorly defined.

Advice to Management

Reduce the spread of technical staff and put in a single location to help knowledge sharing, growth, and team cohesion.

Jun 27, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We wish you the best of luck with your next role.

"Horrible company, highly bureaucratic management"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard to find any. Simply a career blocker for anyone. Won't recommend to switch your current job for this black hole.

Cons

- old timers take all the credit and changes that new and industry experts bring to the table
    - old timers not ready to make change unless they are the presenter of the change. they want change to go through them so they can show they look good to corporate office. My presentations were stolen, given by my manager in front of me so that she can look good in front of her Bosses in London. Just Sick!
    - highly bureaucratic and B player organization
    - they haven't worked and know what A players are, so don't waste energy and don't share your expertise as you won't get credit, how hard you may try.
    - maintain your integrity and just leave, it appears that you are in Rome during the fall of Julius Cesar. Backstabbing all around.
    - my advice - leave them as soon as you can, don't join if you plan to join. It will be bad mistake in your career if you do join them.

Advice to Management

- You cannot be global leader unless you start listening to local regional experts.
    - Fire old timers from Detica. They are completely ruining growth. They are not acceptable to change.
    - Takes all the credit of hard work and brains that industry experts bring to BAE.
    - they keep learning skills but no credit.

"Long on cons with one or two pros"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zero stress. Super relaxed working environment. Nobody works more than 40 hours a week and nobody checks email during off hours. EMEA gets a ridiculous amount of vacation time, which on one hand seems unfair to Americas employees, but the flipside is that nothing happens whatsoever for all of August and December so it's like a working vacation for Americans.

Overall a great place to work if you're not ambitious or just want to take a career break for a while.

Cons

An absurd amount of bureaucracy. It's impossible to get anything done. This is a defense contractor, so if you're used to working for a commercial organization get ready to be shocked. If you're coming from a startup you wonder if you stepped into a vortex to an alternate universe.

Corporate communications are atrocious and the board is disengaged and aloof.

Culture is a mess. They bought two commercial software startups that were high growth market leaders and managed to run both businesses into the ground and drive away all of the talent they acquired. Every A player from Norkom and SilverSky from the execs to the rank and file is now gone. Most of the B talent has left as well. A lot of the A talent from Detica remains to this day, so it seems that Ai is destined to be a prestigious, low margin, steady growth consultancy. Which is actually fine if that's what they want to be, it just makes no sense whatsoever to try to incubate software companies in that environment.

Advice to Management

This is way too hard a problem to solve. I guess I would say focus on what you're good at - consulting. Find a buyer for the software assets and focus on regions where the BAE and Detica brands have equity - EMEA and maybe APJ? I would definitely get out of the Americas it's just way too big of a cultural clash.

5. "FMV Analyst"

Current Employee - FMV Analyst
    Current Employee - FMV Analyst

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time

Pros

-Great Work
    -Great People
    -First and second line managers are willing to go to bat for you

Cons

-head office is detached and uncaring, but is getting better
    -training team and procedures don't listen to actual analysts

Advice to Management

Recent change in management has greatly improved morale, keep heading the road you are on.

6. "Great People, Greater Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy to work with
    learned a lot
    great coworkers

Cons

nothing cons, just keep work on killing the bad guys foreign and domestic

Advice to Management

keep up to good work

Jun 27, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We wish you the best of luck.

7. "Amazing Company!!!!"

Current Employee - Deployment Travel Adisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Deployment Travel Adisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had the most amazing experience with this company. The growth opportunities are endless.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Jun 27, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. Keep up the great work!

8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Dayton, OH

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience working for BAE S&I on an FMS contract.

Cons

The management did not assist with obtaining another position inside the company due to a reduction in force.

Advice to Management

Try to do a better job of trying to re-assign employees instead of laying them off.

"Capital "B" for Bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Overall, there are some great, talented people. They have a lot of resources and offerings. There's opportunity for internal growth, travel, or transfer.

Cons

Overly bureaucratic to the point of slowing progress to a tedious crawl. They treat people like things. So big, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle and accidentally laid off. Internal organization does not facilitate teamwork or cooperation. There's a lot of "that's not my job." No one is willing to assume risk for anything, so it means you hear "no" more frequently than "some risk, but let's figure this out."

Advice to Management

What works on paper does not always work in practice. Listen to your people. Value your people. Treat them as valuable assets, not "insider threats".

"Buy companies past peak and drive them into the ground"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

at one point there were some smart people working there. few and far between now.

Cons

Poor management; legacy products, high attrition; mediocrity is rewarded; Kevin Taylor ( recently fired) went on acquisition spree; consolidation overcame engineering and the last company acquired came with really poor management; Americas is particularly bad with three presidents in three years.

Advice to Management

Throw out the Silversky bunch - they are overmatched. Sell off the rest of the division while there is still some value left.