BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin Taylor

Pros
  • Relaxed environment with a great work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Interesting work, clients and opportunities (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can easily go out the window (in 16 reviews)

• Glass ceiling of senior management (in 26 reviews)

1. "Great health insurance"

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time

Pros

One of the only companies with a zero deductible plan. Company pays 75% of entire family coverage.

Cons

The copays can be a little high but health insurance with no deductible is hard to come by nowadays. Bravo BAE.

"Most Dysfunctional company I have worked at in my 20 year sales career - Quick head for the door!"

Former Employee - Sales in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in McLean, VA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absorbed market knowledge around cyber, fraud and security leveraging the parent company in London. Met a few great people that I worked with whom I will keep in touch with.

Cons

Chaotic environment and lack of strategy, structure and process for a large $50 billion dollar company as their parent. Went through 3 presidents in 12 months with constant change and lack of support infrastructure. Dishonest and unprofessional management teams which trickles down...Not transparent in the interview process and no HR to speak of to answer any questions throughout the duration. Constant finger pointing and lack of accountability. There was mass exodus across all business functions and the company does a good job to force "good" people to leave.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to the hundred of people in two years I was there across all segments of your business for feedback, ideas and market corrections. To blame the sales team why their product wasn't well received by the market is short sighted. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone I know and this it the most dysfunctional company I have ever worked out in my 20 year long career in sales. Very, very disappointing..

"Pre-Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HQ is a good company. As a defense company this is a strong established business. HQ has great leadership and people whom extend themselves. But once it branches out to the US, it is much different.

Cons

Lack luster leadership, lack of clear direction since it changes quarterly and no appreciation of employees and the long hours they work either.

Advice to Management

Clear out the Exc Level in the US. Harvey and Skipper add nothing to business goals, moral, or enhancing name recognition in the Americas.

"Hard to recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people here - segmented into pockets. There are a handful of good product people left from the Norkom and SilverSky deals and there are some really smart PS people left over from Detica.

The CMO is strong and has built a good team and the company markets well overall.

Work/life balance is off the charts good - especially if you're used to working for American tech companies. Nobody works a minute past 5:00, nobody works or even checks email on the weekends and the whole company basically takes August and December off. It makes you appreciate that the British may have struck a nice compromise between the work/life extremes of America and continental Europe.

Cons

No real unity or corporate identify. The product people want it to be a product company, the consultants want it to be a consultancy. It's a confused hybrid today that embodies the worst aspects of each model - a random mashup of businesses (digital transformation?) that have nothing to do with each other, with no synergies. That fact is not lost on potential customers.

Internal communications are absolutely atrocious. The board is aloof, disinterested and disengaged. The extent of executive comms is the MD recording a half hearted video and posting it to the intranet that nobody can access once a year.

Finally, make no mistake about it - this is a defense contractor. The processes, bureaucracy and overhead are absolutely unbearable. The pace of innovation is mind-numbingly slow, and the brand position is difficult. Good on the company for playing the hand they were dealt and making the most of it, but I really do think Raytheon got it 100% right by distancing themselves from ForcePoint.

Advice to Management

There is no easy answer. I do believe the board is smart and is wracking their brains for solutions. It's just difficult to envision a viable tech company existing as part of a defense contractor - especially one that has tried to be so many things to so many people.

"Great benefits, lots of buearacracy"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Lead in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Lead in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its difficult to classify, as we were acquired by BAE and the cultural shocks from a small company to a large one were tough to handle. They have infinite resources, but you have to convince them to use them.

Cons

Layers upon layers of management kill creativity and can lock you in to doing one thing over and over instead of branching out to try new things or remain cutting edge

Jan 12, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. Glad you enjoyed your time with us and we wish you the best of luck with your next role.

7. "Opportunities to grow"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large diverse company with many locations worldwide

Cons

Closely tied to defense cyclical spending

Jan 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy position to attain if you have a clearance. Great temporary position when you are still looking for other positions in the IC. Exposure and networking to other companies that will appreciate you.

Cons

Benefits being cut. PTO being lowered. 3 years to be vested in their retirement plans.Working with folks who have no prior experience before working there. Clear favoritism when it comes to certain teams and program managers. Persuaded gov't customer to discontinue polygraph vetting to prevent employees from progressing in their IC careers. Will only permit a raise in salary once you state your intent to depart the company. They are losing contracts at an alarming rate and other current employees anticipate pay cuts when BAE underbids contracts they are re-competing for. Unprofessional relationships deteriorating mission cohesion at the customer sites.

Advice to Management

Management purge

"Good place to start your career"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in McLean, VA

I worked at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great starting place for a new college grad. You learn a lot and get a lot of experience. Colleagues are a pleasure to work with and make the long hours bearable.

Cons

Very long hours at times, often with very little appreciation. Higher level management seems out of touch and don't notice attrition issues.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more.

Jan 30, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

10. "Felt seperated"

Pros

Good pay, large company, various opportunity.

Cons

Poor management that doesn't provide much support to employees working on sire.

Advice to Management

Visit your employees on site.

"Office Space"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

Pros

Vacation and benefits and lots of coffee and bagels

Cons

Worse company ever. This is the reason the movie office space was created. Nothing happens. Its 99 % process. Everyone is on vacation. The spirit of apathy is dominate in the work space. Nobody thinks. They just want to keep there easy job where all they have to do is THE PROCESS. You will lose your soul working here. I went to the restroom 6x just for something to do

Advice to Management

dont hire anyone else. Until you can actually manage