BAE Systems USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro
Jerry DeMuro

1,403 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • opportunities and high ceiling 9/80 work schedule is great (in 87 reviews)

• and then return in a year or two for the work life balance and lower stress atmosphere (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is often short sighted when it comes to taking on new projects (in 57 reviews)

• As with any large company there is significant bureaucracy at headquarters (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good Company"

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time

Pros

Provides quality growth opportunties, Excellent benefits, & Flexibility.

Cons

Top Heavy, Needs better commiuncation between businesses.

2. "Excellent growth potential, many areas to move into."

Current Employee - Lead Geospatial Researcher in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Geospatial Researcher in McLean, VA

Pros

Great growth potential as the company is currently expanding into new areas; not just in Information Technology, but also in Customer Service. The company does an excellent job at communicating new opportunities that are constantly opening up. This growth adds to the number of locations you can work at, which is important in a major metropolitan area.

Cons

Generic Job Descriptions do not give full justice to the positions. Because of the quick number of openings, people within the company tend to move around and move up quickly; while this seems to be a great thing, it lessens strong on-the-job experience.

Advice to Management

Continue the excellent feedback you give the employees. Continue to expand on education and growth opportunities.

3. "Great benefits and competetive pay."

Current Employee - Planner I in Sealy, TX
    Current Employee - Planner I in Sealy, TX

Pros

BAE Systems offers great benefits as well as a competetive 401K plan. They pay average to above average and and compensate for night shift work. The people in the Sealy facility are as they are everywhere, some good and some bad. I have made some really wonderful friends from my job at BAE Systems. The oppurtunity to learn is out there, you just need to know where to look and who to talk to. BAE Systems also offers educational reimbursement for individuals who plan to attend college for reasons that will benefit the company in the long run. I am very proud to tell people who I work for and have made some great friends doing it.

Cons

The work schedule is grueling depending on what your job duty is. Having plans on the weekends should not be something one is accustomed to. Some of the attitudes around the facility need to be checked.

Advice to Management

I would imagine some employees would appreciate time off.

5. "Great place for Mechincal Engineers to work - cool products and meaningful work"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Cool products that you get to touch, take apart and drive. Lots of good meaningful work to sink your teeth into. They are very employee friendly and allow you to flex your time. They are flexible to your personal life too.

Cons

Depending on the programs, it can get very busy and there is some stress. But stress is good. Most middle management seems to be good, but a few who should have better people skills and less ego. But tolerable. We also have a lot of real young engineers who are very smart and know Pro E, but do not have the experience, which hurts. Also some of the young engineers lack some professional skills and at times can not conduct themselves accordingly. But overall, we can overlook that and enjoy our work and see our products develop which is very rewarding.

Advice to Management

More communications. Seems everyone at the lower levels think there is not enough of this. There are times where lower level detail work can be worked out amongst ourselves, but there are times where it needs an executive decision. Though I understand the immense work load there is with some programs.

6. "With a little work, this could be the best employer in the industry. Great for entry-level, then it fades."

Current Employee - ELDP in Johnson City, NY
    Current Employee - ELDP in Johnson City, NY

Pros

The company provides good opportunities for entry-level employees (recent college grads), and really invests in developing those employees. They are also very laid back and create an enjoyable working environment and culture.

Cons

Once you have been with the company for about 5 years, the opportunities for career developments and advancement really drop off. This makes it very difficult to plan your career future within the company. Some of the locations are also not so great.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are getting the mentoring and support they need. Online "surveys" only tell part of the story. You need to ask every employee, one on one, how what their opinion is.

7. "Interesting and challenging work with good benefits and stability"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH

Pros

I find that BAE Systems has treated me very well. I have been on various projects, large and small and I am always given the opportunity to learn new technologies and work with very competent people. You will find that you are never bored at work because of the variety of projects BAE offers. I feel that management does a good job recognizing talent and weed out people who are not performing up to par. I have been working here 7 years and have only seen 2 or 3 layoffs. The people that I knew that were laid off were definitely people that were not good at their job. Management wise, there are good and bad ones. Most of my managers have been very good, so i think the good ones out weigh the bad ones. BAE also has very good benefits where you get 2 weeks sick time and 1 week of excuse time. Also 2 weeks of vacation, it becomes 3 after 5 years with the company. They also have 401k and pension. One last thing to mention is that most employees are very easy to work with and people here seem to have a goal of wanting the projects and company to succeed.

Cons

One of the few downsides I find with the company is that it may be hard to get promoted. It can depend on how hard your manager fights for you. Another downside is that the buildings that we work in are very old, especially the one in downtown Nashua. It needs updating badly. The halls are just poorly maintained and there are no decorations. Sometimes i see duck tape used in the halls to keep pieces of flooring in place. Parking is also tough as the company grows the parking lot gets more and more full.

Advice to Management

I think senior management is doing a good job at getting new projects and keeping the company competitive. I would like to see BAE keep the benefits that we have. It seems that BAE keeps on buying other companies and then try to make all parts of BAE have the same benefits, which means taking benefits away from the people here in New Hampshire. I have already seen bonuses taken away, please do not take anymore!

8. "BAE - A great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant

Pros

A visionary company, not adverse to change, can adapt to a changing global environment. Great career opportunities. Fair compensation and benefits. Great recognition and feedback. High employee morale - everyone gives 100%. Senior leadership is great - smart, talented, fair, and not afraid to call you personally when you have done a good job. Great EEO program. Good communication - internally and to our customers. Treat customers with honesty and respect. We do all we can to please and retain our customers.

Cons

Slightly bureaucratic which slows down process and progress at times.

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job.

9. "Come to BAE Systems Land & Armaments - Making People Successful in a Changing World."

Current Employee - Information Specialist II in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Information Specialist II in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Among the best reasons to work for BAE Systems are the compensation, the training, the people and the opportunities. The compensation packages are competitive and there a many choices, there is a wealth of training available, the people here are like a family, and there are career opportunities and growth opportunities if you are willing to apply yourself. Many of the same employees are still here even after my 8-year hiatus. I know others who have been with this company for over 20 years. That tells you something about a company.

Cons

BAE Systems is a defense contractor, so one of the downsides of working here will always be budget cuts. Programs come into being and grow exponentially, while budgets for others are cut and those programs die. This is part of the ever-changing nature of the defense industry.

Advice to Management

The only feedback I have for our management here is to keep doing what you're doing. Almost daily, I receive email communications about what's happening in various locations BAE. Management in my group has an open-door policy and communicate flows openly both ways. There is so much to take advantage of: training, brown-bags, new benefits. I've been back for six months and I'm wondering why I ever left.

10. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenlawn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenlawn, NY

Pros

Great workplace, competent employees. The company takes great care of all of its employees and is a very safe work environment.

Cons

Stringent procedures make working here one of the major cons. This is the only con that I can see for this company.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job. BAE is a great place to work and I absolutely enjoy working here everyday.

11. "BAE Systems, CA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Great work & life balance. Great benefits and people are treated with respect. One of the few companies out there that offers flex work schedule.

Cons

There has been a few programs being cut since I started. It is up to the individuals to explore other areas to find work.

Advice to Management

Executive management are focused on moving work to the East Coast to reduce cost and ignoring the workload currently available at the site in Bay Area.

Showing 1,403 of 1,506 reviews