BAE Systems USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 21, 2017
1,402 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,402 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • opportunities and high ceiling 9/80 work schedule is great (in 87 reviews)

• and then return in a year or two for the work life balance and lower stress atmosphere (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is often short sighted when it comes to taking on new projects (in 57 reviews)

• As with any large company there is significant bureaucracy at headquarters (in 32 reviews)

1. "Mundane. Repetitious mismanagement. Needs to be overcome by competitors."

Current Employee - Production Manager Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Production Manager Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, good holiday package, work associates are good for the most part.

Cons

Serious mismanagement. Imagine circus clowns running a business. Unbelievable waste.

Advice to Management

Let logic guide your decisions. If the same managers failed at a certain site, then why promote them to another site. Allow new diverse thinkers in management and see results.

2. "Management?"

Current Employee - Junior Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Junior Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every other Friday off is a nice benefit.

Cons

The leadership doesn't enforce any policies, so the organization runs wild. Nobody is ever punished for the trouble they cause by not following the rules, and the good employees end up being criticized and punished for caring enough to say something. Nothing EVER gets fixed.

Advice to Management

Hire senior managers who actually know how to lead and hold people accountable. Stop blaming the hard workers who bring the dysfunction to your attention, because you choose not to do anything about what they tell you.

"Its...ok"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing pay, good benefits, numerous positions.

Cons

management. all around management. micro managing continuously, half the supervision has no clue what is going on. High burn out rates, coupled with ridiculous expectations, and wacky work hours. This is more of a build my resume kind of job. The company just recently had an overhaul of its higher ups, and now its more documenting than actual work.

Advice to Management

Take more notice in your employees well being. Stop worrying so much about supply and demand, but more about keeping the work environment less stressful. Happy workers equal better quality of work.

5. "BAE SYSTEMS"

Former Employee - Documentation Production Process/Quality Lead in Rockville, MD

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for young professionals to establish a multifaceted and versatile, work foundation in an ever changing environment to support career development and future goals and aspirations.

Cons

Weak management/employee communications and implementation of policies prior to assessing impact of current business processes.

Advice to Management

Management knows where its headed, but should closely investigate the advice of the work force to avoid unnecessary risks and the loss of emergent and new business opportunities.

6. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rome, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Rome, NY

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good team work at BAE systems.

Cons

Management to short sighted.

7. "Love what I do!"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy my job and have worked at BAE Systems for 13 years. Every time I've gotten to a point where I'm not having fun anymore, I'm able to find something different to do and easily move to a new program.

Cons

It's a big, corporate environment, so everything bad that comes along with that.

Advice to Management

Clear and consistent communication is working, keep it up!

"Good company, moving in right direction, but held back by silos, politics, and turf wars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company does amazing things, and the vast majority of employees are engaged, bright, and tend to be some of the best at what they do. Despite the challenges of working in a tightly regulated, cyclical industry, people are able to continuously improve how they do business.

Cons

Because our industry has such tight profit margins, a certain.. cheapness (not frugality) permeates the company as a whole, with certain higher margin silos living in their own little worlds. As a result, the infrastructure, especially IT, seems to be struggling to keep up (at best) or actively disengaged from providing service to their coworkers. Also, because the industry in general is low growth, career opportunities are mainly dependent on luck - the sudden win of a new contract, or the retirement/attrition of a more senior staff member creating an opening. They wonder why so many younger workers don't stay long but the answer is simply LOW GROWTH = LOW CAREER OPTIONS. Like many big companies, they also struggle to keep their salaries competitive with the market.

Advice to Management

Big ask, but figure out a way to raise your margins... stop being so conservative in always chasing the same business... Is it possible for us to NOT be a stodgy defense contractor and become something else with more non-government sources of income? Lets stop trying to buy our way into innovation and instead change our own DNA. We have so much brain power and talent at this company, but too much of it is wasted in the silos, politics, and turf wars to make a coordinated effort to change the whole company.

"lay offs"

Former Employee - Electronic Assembler Specialist in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Electronic Assembler Specialist in Nashua, NH

I worked at BAE Systems USA (More than 10 years)

Pros

great environment would would encourage people to apply

Cons

I got laid off sad experience

Advice to Management

please review me I want to return

10. "A good company to work for if you want to spend your career in defense"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain House, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain House, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- When contracts are available, the job is very stable.
    - If you have experience in the defense industry, you're set for life in this company.
    - If you can deal with he politics and culture, there is room for growth.

Cons

- Aging work force that seems to have a cloudy vision as to how they are going to hand off to the next generation.
    - Depending on the department you work in, the work can feel very specialized to the point where you feel like you growth is stagnant.
    - Management employee communications could be better.
    - Benefits used to be better.
    - Company has gotten cheaper over the years, no Christmas Party, bonuses are a joke, med package is not good.

Advice to Management

- Communication to team members is key.

11. "Bureaucracy is Bad"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Nashua, NH

Pros

Above average pay for NH, and decent 401K match. A lot of good people.

Cons

Employee demographic is older (mostly boomers) that have worked for the same company in excess of 10 years. Produces a stagnant political environment that doesn't promote on merit as much as how long you have been there.

Advice to Management

More rigorous feedback loops that vet managements performance in real terms. And promote inspired work based on merit.

Showing 1,402 of 1,505 reviews