BALANCE Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Kathryn J. Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I help people everyday improve their lives (in 15 reviews)

• The work environment was pleasant, and it was a valuable learning experience (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is a non-profit that relies on outside funding (in 9 reviews)

• Working weekends, changing time shifts, not much upward mobility, low pay (was getting paid (in 5 reviews)

1. "Changing Lives"

Current Employee - Financial Coach in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Coach in Concord, CA

I have been working at BALANCE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I help people everyday improve their lives. I feel like I'm making a difference in the world. My co-workers are great and I get the opportunity to work overtime, which is helpful when you're on a budget!

Cons

The job can be stressful because clients have a lot of issues.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Financial Coach"

I have been working at BALANCE full-time

Pros

I just started working for BALANCE from home and I love it! It's a great mission and I love being able to help people every day. Getting set up at home was super easy. It's a great group of people.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Great Mission With Great People"

Current Employee - Manager in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Concord, CA

I have been working at BALANCE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission helping people get out of debt, buy homes, and improve their credit. It's a job you can really feel good about. It's a shame there are so many former bad apples making comments on Glassdoor. My experience with management and the company has been nothing but positive.

Cons

It's a non-profit, so pay is not high for any position, but you know this in advance of accepting the job!

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward!

4. "Shut it down"

I have been working at BALANCE full-time

Pros

Helping those in need of financial education.

Cons

Management. Pay. Horrible communication. This company has gone downhill. The mission is lost. There is barely anyone left. There is no room to advance. The company has lost so many employees yet they have not asked the current employees why this is happening. You'll start this job with one job description and end up doing something else. And they like to change your schedule often. You do not feel valued working here and everyone is fed up.

Advice to Management

Actually do some work and stop trying to micro manage. If it's not broken don't fix it! There has been so many changes for no reason. And it's obviously not working. Go back to the original blueprint and maybe this organization will get back on its feet.

"Things are looking rather grim"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I have been working at BALANCE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent core values and mission. Really great people to work with every day. A chance to help people.

Cons

The company is struggling financially and running scared as a result. There is an enormous pressure on client services and counselors and coaches to get more clients, to book appointments, to sell the service. Extreme changes in scheduling create chaos daily, and interfere with work/life balance. Layoffs. People leaving due to the stress and pressure. This leaves the remaining employees over worked, under paid, under appreciated. Endless emails and micromanagement. No Training. Core values exist on paper, but are not really valued.

Advice to Management

The overall feel of the company now is that it is circling the drain. Your front line has good ideas, but you do not listen. The focus needs to be servicing clients, and taking care of people who want and need our services. Forcing client services to pressure clients into an appointment only increases the no show rate, and blocks spots that clients who want our services can use. TRAINING is vital. " Read this and good luck" is not training. Please turn this ship around before it sinks.

6. "Housing Counselor"

I worked at BALANCE full-time

Pros

A great company to work for

Cons

The company is a non-profit that relies on outside funding

"Good Experience; Low Salary"

I worked at BALANCE full-time

Pros

The work environment was pleasant, and it was a valuable learning experience.

Cons

The counselors are barely paid a living wage for San Francisco, while the top management earns $200,000 to $300,000+.

"Unethical CEO"

I worked at BALANCE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who decide to work for BALANCE/CCCSSF tend to be mission driven people who care about helping people who are having financial hardships.

Cons

The leadership and CEO, Kathryn Davis, is not to be trusted and has no idea what she is doing, bad combination. She has stripped benefits from what was already a very low paying job. Most of the employees were able to justify the wage because the previous CEO provided great benefits and bonuses at the end of the year. Kathryn Davis has stripped all the benefits, has promised bonuses and then taken it back. This past year she declined to give bonuses to employees while taking a bonus for herself at about 2X her annual salary. Corrupt.

If you wonder how that’s possible, in two years Kathryn Davis has gone through 8 accounting staff including 2 Chief Financial Officers who have all expressed concerns, to basically anyone who will listen, regarding her unethical accounting practices. So expect to be paid low wages while she takes the assets from the company and transfers them into her personal bank account.

That the board of directors has not investigated this more deeply is deeply concerning. Before taking a job here talk to any staff that works there to get the inside scoop. You seriously should not work there while she's at the helm.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO, Kathryn Davis

"Schizophrenic and confused"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BALANCE full-time

Pros

Aspirational mission to help consumers "balance life's important decisions."

Cons

1. You could draw a line down the middle of the office that separated staff of the non-profit Consumer Credit Counseling Service of San Francisco from staff of the previously for-profit Balance.
    2. Ask any number of employees what the organization does and you will get widely differing answers.
    3. Staff were increasingly unhappy with relatively low pay and negative work environment.
    3. There are still 3 separate websites for the organization: cccssf.org, balancepro.org, balancepro.net — all of which have nothing in common from a brand perspective.
    3. Credit union clients were leaving in droves because of high cost and low service in comparison to other providers of similar services.

Advice to Management

Stop the daily fire drill with expectations for something new. Stop and focus on building a solid foundation on which the organization can stand. This can be a strong organization that does meaningful work, but it needs leadership with not only vision but also compassion.

"Everything changed, wishing all the best."

Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BALANCE (More than 5 years)

Pros

Started at then-called CCCS of San Francisco in summer of 2010, being in the Operations Department I felt that there was never a dull moment in the office, which was once located in San Francisco. By the time I left in January 2016, the company relocated to Concord.

Cons

The new location was nice, but the commute soon became difficult to manage time-wise. My time at the Concord office was brief compared to my half decade in the San Francisco HQ, so I have little to comment about that. Living on the opposite end of the bart routes, this is the only inconvenience I had thus I left.

Advice to Management

none