BALANCE Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Kathryn J. Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I help people everyday improve their lives" (in 16 reviews)

• "The work environment was pleasant, and it was a valuable learning experience" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is a non-profit that relies on outside funding" (in 9 reviews)

• "No room for promotion for people placed in lower paid positions who are minorities" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Changing Lives"

Current Employee - Financial Coach in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Coach in Concord, CA

I have been working at BALANCE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I help people everyday improve their lives. I feel like I'm making a difference in the world. My co-workers are great and I get the opportunity to work overtime, which is helpful when you're on a budget!

Cons

The job can be stressful because clients have a lot of issues.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Housing Counselor"

Current Employee - Housing Counselor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Housing Counselor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BALANCE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with families to keep them in their homes. Everyday you are helping and making a difference. Management is supportive and caring.

Cons

Difficult cases that aren’t always easy. No two days are the same. This can be stressful if you don’t practice good self care.

Advice to Management

None that I can think of.

"Financial Coach"

Former Employee - Financial Coach in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Coach in Concord, CA

I worked at BALANCE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Did make some good friends. Every once in a while you’ll speak with a client whose needs perfectly match the scope of what we did as coaches which always feels good. That’s it. Don’t let the recent positive reviews fool you. Most of us joked about them and agreed that they are either from the new remote workers (who don’t apply for this review anyway because they don’t have to deal with the office) or they’re ghost reviews by upper management. Even assuming they’re legitimate, they do not represent the majority of the workforce here.

Cons

I debated whether I should even post a review because hardly anyone thinks this place will still be around in a year but the way I see it, if I can get someone to think twice before applying here then I’ve done my job. Terrible place to work. The job itself is extremely stressful and the only way to retain workers is by making other aspects of the company enticing, but we didn’t have any of that. Managers micromanage your statuses (you always have to keep your statuses updated on your computer). We have consistently been given more and more procedures and hardly any training to learn them. Whenever someone quits they just move people around to fill the gap instead of hiring. It comes to the point where most clients you talk to are stressed from the get go because they’ve been on hold forever. The management team has little experience in credit so you won’t be getting any help from them if you’re new. They’re nice but useless when it comes to managing the workload. They do meetings with the credit department every once in a while and will use so many rhetorical fallacies that I always loathed going to those meetings. What’s even more annoying is that they're disguised so well as public speaking skills that most people don’t catch on to them . Ultimately BALANCE is not on your side but will consistently try to convince you that they are. Many people gave them good advice on their exit interviews but they didn’t take any of it. That’s because so long as the place is minimally running, they’re ok with people quitting. I’ve worked retail jobs that made me feel more valued than this place. By the way they just outsourced the operations department.

"Runaway"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Concord, CA

I worked at BALANCE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You educating to help people get out of debt and fixed their credit.

Cons

You are not appreciated, training was horrible. You realize that you know more than the supervisors. Management is useless and there is no HR Manager

Advice to Management

Before trying to manage a department fix yourself. Start caring about the clients and the vision. CEO needs to step down, company has gone down since she started. Management please train your supervisors and make sure they are certified to do their job.

5. "Financial Coach"

I have been working at BALANCE full-time

Pros

I just started working for BALANCE from home and I love it! It's a great mission and I love being able to help people every day. Getting set up at home was super easy. It's a great group of people.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Great Mission With Great People"

Current Employee - Manager in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Concord, CA

I have been working at BALANCE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission helping people get out of debt, buy homes, and improve their credit. It's a job you can really feel good about. It's a shame there are so many former bad apples making comments on Glassdoor. My experience with management and the company has been nothing but positive.

Cons

It's a non-profit, so pay is not high for any position, but you know this in advance of accepting the job!

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward!

"Shut it down"

I have been working at BALANCE full-time

Pros

Helping those in need of financial education.

Cons

Management. Pay. Horrible communication. This company has gone downhill. The mission is lost. There is barely anyone left. There is no room to advance. The company has lost so many employees yet they have not asked the current employees why this is happening. You'll start this job with one job description and end up doing something else. And they like to change your schedule often. You do not feel valued working here and everyone is fed up.

Advice to Management

Actually do some work and stop trying to micro manage. If it's not broken don't fix it! There has been so many changes for no reason. And it's obviously not working. Go back to the original blueprint and maybe this organization will get back on its feet.

"Things are looking rather grim"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I have been working at BALANCE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent core values and mission. Really great people to work with every day. A chance to help people.

Cons

The company is struggling financially and running scared as a result. There is an enormous pressure on client services and counselors and coaches to get more clients, to book appointments, to sell the service. Extreme changes in scheduling create chaos daily, and interfere with work/life balance. Layoffs. People leaving due to the stress and pressure. This leaves the remaining employees over worked, under paid, under appreciated. Endless emails and micromanagement. No Training. Core values exist on paper, but are not really valued.

Advice to Management

The overall feel of the company now is that it is circling the drain. Your front line has good ideas, but you do not listen. The focus needs to be servicing clients, and taking care of people who want and need our services. Forcing client services to pressure clients into an appointment only increases the no show rate, and blocks spots that clients who want our services can use. TRAINING is vital. " Read this and good luck" is not training. Please turn this ship around before it sinks.

9. "Housing Counselor"

I worked at BALANCE full-time

Pros

A great company to work for

Cons

The company is a non-profit that relies on outside funding

"Good Experience; Low Salary"

I worked at BALANCE full-time

Pros

The work environment was pleasant, and it was a valuable learning experience.

Cons

The counselors are barely paid a living wage for San Francisco, while the top management earns $200,000 to $300,000+.