BASIS.ed Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of the best places I have ever worked (in 6 reviews)

• They value their teachers highly, and the students are very hard working (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • That being said, the amount of administrative flotsam which needs to be dealt with is still very minimal compared to a typical public school (in 6 reviews)

• There's no professional development (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Dedicated to Excellence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BASIS has built a strong culture that drives a reputation of high performing schools. This year, BASIS had 5 of the 10 schools in America and this has come from a significant commitment to achieving great things in the schools. The curriculum is accelerated and the workload is demanding for both teachers and students. But an environment has been established that provides support where needed.

Additionally, as a teacher, you are allowed the ability to determine your syllabus and how you will be teaching your course. This freedom is something that is rare in most schools today and something that great teachers starve for; some end up leaving education entirely because they don't have it. BASIS allows this great flexibility in teaching but holds teachers accountable for ensuring students master the course content.

Having other creative, committed and knowledgeable teachers as colleagues has created one of the most unique, professional and collaborative teaching communities I've seen. I get to work with interesting people who are passionate about their subject but also interested in a myriad of other topics. Great people to surround yourself with.

I think the culture of the schools has also created students that are more engaged in their learning than what you typically see in a middle or high school. They are more engaged and interested in learning new things. They challenge the status quo and are a true pleasure to teach and many times learn with.

The growth of the school network has afforded new opportunities for career growth and new challenges. Some of my colleagues have moved into school leadership roles, others have gone on to teach in China or New York City.

There is distinctly an air of pride in doing things differently than what other schools do and I like being different. The results of what the students are able to accomplish is astounding.

Cons

The work is demanding and expectations are high. If you don't like the challenge of working hard and striving for a high level of accomplishment, this may not be the right place.

Some of the school management is new to their roles and still working through their own development, but growing.

Sometimes you need to assert yourself to get the development you want or feel you need.

Advice to Management

Support the faculty to make sure

Jun 1, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for the detail and insight of your feedback. We're glad to have you as part of the passionate and talented group that makes a significant difference at BASIS Charter Schools. The dedication... More

2. "Wonderful Experience"

Former Employee - Biology Teacher in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Biology Teacher in Peoria, AZ

I worked at BASIS.ed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely loved working for this school. They value their teachers highly, and the students are very hard working. That was quite stressful at times. Other than that, I enjoyed the training sessions in the summer, the benefits were reasonable, and the hours were also reasonable. I had great administrative staff at the time, which makes all the difference.

Cons

I stopped when I gave birth to my daughter in the summer, because I wasn't sure about their policies with regards to balancing childcare/ working. Mainly because they don't have permenant substitutes, they ask other teachers to use their breaks to teach if you're absent in order to save money. I was worried about where to pump milk privately for my newborn, and if my salary would cover the astronomical costs of daycare (answer: barely). But I was a new teacher with no experience and they DO offer very generous bonuses at the end of the year for teachers who stay.

"Mixed experiences"

Current Employee - Math Classroom Teacher (SET) in Ahwatukee, AZ
    Current Employee - Math Classroom Teacher (SET) in Ahwatukee, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students are generally hard-working and high achieving. There is a general positive mood at the school.

Cons

see "Advice to Management" below

Advice to Management

Don't micro-manage (e.g. require teachers to send rough drafts to the Principal before sending email to parents, direct teachers how to have students review homework, order teachers to give a student a 60 in the gradebook when they earned a 54). Also, a bit of appreciation sprinkled in every once in a while with the constant criticism would be nice.

"mandarin teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Prescott, AZ
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Prescott, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the work in BASIS under the great leadership

Cons

I think the courtyard is a little small for the kids th play on it, They need big playground.

Advice to Management

I will give the advice later

Jun 1, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you so much for your review. We're really happy that you're enjoying BASIS Charter Schools!

"Great organization, still working out the kinks"

Current Employee - CENTRAL OFFICE in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - CENTRAL OFFICE in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule/ well stocked employee break rooms
    Pay for performance (hard workers are appropriately rewarded)
    If you’re a ‘do the bare minimum’ person, not the organization for you
    Corporate provides good support for all sites
    Excellent future growth outlook, only getting bigger

Cons

Fast growth makes clear communication difficult to maintain
    Policy/Plan this week will likely change next week
     Poor performers aren’t addressed in a timely manner
    Could have better employee recognition and employee health & benefit programs

Advice to Management

This is a great organization with so much potential. Sometimes ‘weeding out’ ineffective employees is better for the growth of the company, regardless of what position they hold. Continue to focus on and support the schools and BASIS will succeed!

Jun 1, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback! We appreciate your feedback as having a high performing environment is important to us. We're happy to hear you see and recognize the potential in... More

"BASIS Phoenix Central"

Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some amazing teachers at this school. There is a lot of room for creativity in the classroom, and if you come in with previous teaching experience and/or schooling, you should be okay. Lots of room for advancement as well.

Cons

The school I am at is absolute chaos. Schedules change on the fly and staff is expected to be ready and available for anything at anytime with no notice. For many teachers, a good amount of the school day is dedicated to covering classes for other teachers or performing duties. These schools do not hire monitors or substitutes. This takes away from classroom time, and subsequently, student performance. This school is consistently chided for low test scores, but it is difficult to get students where they need to be without ample time and resources to effectively develop as an educator.

There is ZERO professional development. As an earlier review stated, teachers are thrown into classrooms and expected to know everything. If anything goes wrong, teachers are immediately blamed. If you think that you're doing a good job, don't be surprised if you're called into a surprise meeting to tell you how much you are messing up.

Admin is cliquey and offers zero support. I can name three out of all of the admin team who have actually been helpful. The rest of them sit at their desks and text, sometimes coming into classrooms to order teachers around and to enforce whatever arbitrary rule they've decided to implement (that they will not follow through with after the end of the week, if that). Admin also has favorites. The favorites are all quickly promoted and continually recognized, while all of the other hard working teachers receive no recognition aside from "disciplinary action" by admin.

Very, very low pay for long hours. I work ten hours a day multiple days a week with no recognition (monetarily, verbally, or written). Instead, I am told that I need to take more initiative when I sit down for a break. Teachers are discouraged from taking breaks, from making doctors appointments, or talking with other teachers. Admin expresses "disappointment" when a teacher needs to attend to something outside of work. Staff has even been discouraged from using the restroom.

Give your teachers a raise. Wages here are pitiful and insulting. Staff (excluding the favorites) must push and fight for any kind of raise, yet we are expected to take on extra duties all of the time.

Turnover at this school is woefully high. Staff quit left and right due to the working conditions and poor treatment. This hurts the students, often leaving them without a teacher for weeks at a time until admin finds a replacement. For example, sixth graders have had four or five math teachers in the course of this year.

One last thing, this campus is FILTHY and difficult to navigate. There is also no space. Teachers must share classrooms, work out of a rolling cart, or work in closets. Yet, renovations allow for a nice, large, brand new Kenpo gym inside instead of new classrooms.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff. Treat them like equals and respect their humanity. Give them the recognition they deserve instead of jumping down their throats with criticism without bothering to understand the whole story.

Jun 1, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We want to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We're really sorry that your experience at BASIS Charter Schools did not match our intention of being a best place to work and teach. We... More

"Standards of Excellence"

Current Employee - Administrative Support in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Support in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization has a strong business model that has not only proven the test of time, it has resulted in excellence in all areas. The personal time off, and health benefits exceed any other company for which I have worked. The atmosphere is casual and friendly, but the expectations are high. The work is challenging but well rewarded. I look forward to many years with the company.

Cons

I can't think of a single one.

Jun 1, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear you find your work so rewarding!

"Excellent Place to Work if You Want to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like challenges, growth, responsibilty, this is the place. Management encourages and promotes thinking outside the box. Excellent benefits, compensation, perks.

Cons

There is not one thing that is a con here.

Advice to Management

Maybe just get the back story before jumping down someone's neck when an issue arises. That's only for a select few - other than that keep up the great management!

Jun 19, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to hear you enjoy the benefits and perks that BASIS.ed has to offer!

"I love this place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time

Pros

One of the best places I have ever worked! Great leadership, great office, even better coworkers! We all work hard, but it's worth every hour!

Cons

Communication is sometimes lacking but besides that, not much!

Advice to Management

This place is fantastic! You are rewarded for your hardwork, room for growth, great teamwork, fun atmosphere with a great office space. If you are one who loves coming up with solutions, the freedom to solve problems, and helping the #1 school in the world, this place is for you!

Jun 19, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so thrilled that you find your work so worth while. We are committed to providing a positive and supportive work environment, as well as providing... More

"Basis PC, chaos central"

Current Employee - Early Education Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Early Education Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent for my first classroom job in six years. Benefits are also pretty good. Kids are fairly well behaved and there is some support from admin there for the repeated, severe behavior problems.

Cons

There's no professional development. There's no support or coaching. They stick you in a classroom and leave you and when you make a mistake or didn't know how to do something it's your fault, no one else's. There are people constantly being moved around and/or leaving or getting let go. The school building itself has major problems. My room has no ceiling tiles AND no carpet (well except for one small rug for whole group time that the kids barely all fit on.) That's another thing. Class sizes are ridiculous. Even with two teachers in the room you can't max out kinder at 32 students, esp with echo chambers for classrooms! Thankfully some left to go to other schools or just didn't like it, so I'm down to 27 now. But still. I could go on and on. But I'll stop here.

Advice to Management

I would advise the higher ups to look into getting teachers better pay (which includes raises, not just higher starting pay) and more professional development. That's why I'm not staying. I'll stagnate as an educator here.