BB&T Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • Family like business with great focus on work life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits; employee oriented; best of the best philosophy (in 125 reviews)

Cons

"Terrible Merge as a CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Lititz, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Lititz, PA

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to keep my job with the merge and got a raise (but now that the new hires are making $3+/hour more than the existing reps I don't even think this would be considered a pro)

Cons

Bare minimum training during the process of the merge (probably meaning they're going to get rid of us), micromanaging, hiring 50+ people in 2 months, overdraft fees based on algorithm within the computer system(?), and hiring new people making $17/hour whereas the typical CSR makes just above $14. Not fair in the slightest how you run this company.

Advice to Management

DO NOT LET YOUR MANAGERS MICROMANAGE THE CSR'S! We get it, you could honestly care less about us removable people but please, when the managers start making up their own rules and it contradicts with what we're being told by other centers it really makes us look bad as a whole. I quit this job a while ago because it looks like it's going in the direction of Wells Fargo where it's all sales based and none of it client based. Kelly King is a sly dog and I'm sure Mr. Alpheus Branch would not like the way his company is treating his clients, nor the direction it's taking in the banking industry. Change something soon or you're going to lose a lot more talented, hardworking individuals and settle for lethargic, churlish ones.

"Reconsider your career start as Credit Analyst"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Greensboro, NC

Pros

You have a job, you're getting paid.
    You'll become more detail-oriented***
    You'll realize that you probably want to work somewhere else :)

Cons

1. Politics. Too much politics. You will not be promoted unless you join the politics. I've witnessed too many people promoted on politics and not merit. Also, someone who has no idea what they are doing will be promoted ahead as your Team Lead beause their cousin works at the bank :)

2. Robotic. The more robotic you are, the better. This department expects you to not spend time networking around people who are 3+ years ahead of you, but rather, you should be at your desk 24/7 adding to the production line.

3. sCraps. This division gives you no foods, drinks, or any HR-coordinated events. Instead, they will give you more work and expect you to smile and ask for you. If you ask why we don't network or have more than a half day for community service, the answer is production! Even if the que is at 0 for the department of 100+ people, they will make you stay at work and want you to "act busy" for no reason. Makes no sense to me.

4. Failed leadership. This company preaches about leadership but you'll notice there isn't a single leader here. You probably won't respect your team leads after several months because (1) you know more than they do and (2) you get tired of being treated as a child. Your team leads will also remind you that they are "watching you" constantly, like children. Leadership is not promoted on merit but promoted on politics. You'll notice that you have a better quality and production than your peers but one of them will be selected ahead of you, not because of your attitude, but because they spent more time brown-nosing around. You'll notice the average team lead doesn't meet the department's requirements of production and quality but you'll notice they are promoted because of family and friends. Promoted based off networks, which they make sure you do not have a chance to network around!

5. Budget. The imaginary budget. Management will always talk about how we have no budget but you'll notice that they take weekly team-lead lunches that are all paid for, includes appetizers, main course and desert. No wonder we have no budget. Then when it comes to promotions in a department of 120+, we don't have enough budget to recognize our associates? And don't get caught replacing the printer paper, you may realize we don't have a budget!!!***

6. Lies. During the interview BB&T will say your here for 10-18 months, flat out LIE. Our top analysts are stuck here 2-3 years because the bank will not allow you to apply to more than 2 jobs at a time. Ridiculous, I know. And then you probably won't get these jobs because someone else who knew someone else got the job you were applying for. I've applied for 8 positions, declined on all because someone else knew somebody. And I thought attitude, production, and holding 100% Quality was important? sCrap!

7. I could go on, and trust me, this list can drag, but I'd like you to join the team and add to my current list. I honestly need to find a new job lol. This year we've never had so many of our top analysts happily leave the department. One guy was promoted to CA II and he left the next week, which is the best note to leave on. We keep losing strong analysts and replacing them with weaker analysts. Wonder why you can't retain your talent??

Advice to Management

Quit talking about this "budget." We know it's not true.
    Respect. It's hard to respect you when you tell us that you're here to "watch us interact" like children -- and some of us are OLDER than you. Quit treating us children! Please give us more than HALF day to perform community service per year, "dad." It's pitiful.
    Leadership & open-mindedness (big word for you, I know!). You preach about being open to new ideas, please listen!!! Don't look at me like I'm stupid when you ask me to be "open-minded." If you want the department to turn around, you NEED to listen!!!!!
    As of 2016, I don't think you've ever seen so many Credit Analysts happily up and leave the bank. A wiseman would reconsider his management strategy and philosophy.

"ML Underwriter III"

Current Employee - ML Underwriter III in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - ML Underwriter III in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has good benefit package including 401K, insurance coverage and pension plan. Flex hours to a degree.

Cons

Very unorganized management team. Inconsistent management where managers do not even know 101 underwriting. Very overworked with extremely long hours and their method of "acknowledgement" is to allow you to wear jeans on Friday. Too sales and volume driven with no focus on quality loans. Appears BB&T is headed down the road where banks went in the great crash back in 2007 and 2008. Managers push and push the employees, but do not jump in to help the employees out by helping to underwrite, clear loan conditions. If they choose to do so, they are very critical of the underwriter's work but in turn these are the same managers who do not even know the basics of underwriting.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. Kelly King, get yourself involved more in what is going on the different offices but not just accepting the "rosy picture" your managers are painting to you. They are playing you for a fool. Hire more staff to prevent the existing staff from walking out or laying out of work just to get some rest. Many good employees have left recently just because of being overworked and undercompensated as compared to competition.

"Mortgage Loan Default Support Specialist I"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Default Support Specialist I in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Default Support Specialist I in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at BB&T (More than a year)

Pros

The Benefit plan for medical dental and vision are good

Cons

Need better leadership and management

"Stay away unless you can deal with heavy stress"

Current Employee - Market Leader in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Market Leader in Allentown, PA

Pros

401k with 6% match, vacation time, sick time, pension

Cons

Sales,sales and more sales. Micro management style which makes employees sick with stress. They will tell you they are a community bank and care about their clients, unless the client is a wealth client, not so. You will drown in daily emails. Computer programs are out dated, procedures wear on you, which make it impossible to service clients in a timely effective manner. Employees are just number. Staff shortages in branches, employees will be expected to do the work of 3 people.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing, employees want to e successful with out crazy stress. Treat people like human beings. Hire more people for phone24...clients wait 40 minutes to get through.

"Moving forward while stuck in the past by stepping on the employees."

Current Employee - Branch Banker in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely large and diverse product and service set.
    Seemingly competitive payscale.
    Plenty of openings & availabilities.

Cons

"To Big To Fail" in a nutshell. Extremely similar to Wells Fargo in both origin and styling.
    Constant mergers mean no stability or regularity on a regional level.
    Processes are extremely outdated and rigid.
    Policy does not allow for adaptation depending on branch layout, staffing levels, market area, regional need, or special circumstances.
    Branch network built around having few full timers who are required to work extreme hours, and several part timers who are expected to work varied and unreliable staffing schedules as determined by computer algorithm.
    Growth and advancement positions posted for extremely short periods of time, and given to individuals too quickly for many - if any - interviews to take place.
    Lack of cohesiveness and consistency across entire spectrum of departments.
    No centralized support network. Several departments responsible for "support" often send employees back and forth.

Advice to Management

Instead of standardizing policies and procedures without compromise across the entire footprint, allow regional management to determine the best way to handle the operation of branches (EG: Vault Controls & Branch Cash security). A branch in downtown Center City Philadelphia does not function the same as a branch in rural Mississippi, no matter how much you attempt to force the issue.

"Teller Supervisor"

Current Employee - Teller Supervisor in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Teller Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being off for your birthday with pay

Cons

Company works very short handed .Company makes a lot of broken promises to make it look as if things are going to get better, and it only gets worst. Working in the branch is very unorganized. Each branch, not region abides by different rules, and upper management is clueless. Operations officers tell incorrect information, and later give employees exceptions for the incorrect information they gave. There is minimal opportunity for growth unless you are in North Carolina, which is where the home office is located.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to visit branches more before new procedures are put in place to see the effects on the branches . Be a company that actually goes by their core values, and not be so hypocritical.

"Anoynmous"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Hours - benefits are decent.

Cons

Welcome to 1950! Where sexism exists at it's finest. Oh and unless you are "young and energetic," don't expect to advance. I had a Bachelor of Science in Finance, was with the bank 5 years, a high performer, and a man (younger than me) who had no college degree, less experience than me, and was not already working with the bank landed the position instead of me. This bank will be sued one day if they haven't already.

Advice to Management

Avoid tacky comments such as the need to be "young and energetic." Take a look at who advances in the corporations verses who applied for the position - you may find some shocking things. Employee retention doesn't seem to be as important.

"Senior teller"

Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at BB&T part-time

Pros

Medical and dental insurance 401k pension plan. Stock options

Cons

The do not promote African Americans from within very easily ..instead choose to bring in under qualified Hispanics. And Readily promote and provide accelerated training to them. I have been there for a number of years and have been dicouraged and passed over for positions that I am qualified for. The company is GROWING BUT cutting the benwfits and hours of LONGTIME employees

Advice to Management

Train and Promote from within the corporation. Treat all employees fairly regardless of Wethersfield or not the speak spanish.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong banking profile, diversity in workforce

Cons

Slow to implement change, political atmosphere, favoritism is everywhere, difficult to advance

Showing 51 of 1,258 reviews