BB&T Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
Cons
  • Sales goals removed from all branch employees except the Market Leader/Branch Manager (in 45 reviews)

• Work/life balance isn't the best (in 19 reviews)

1. "branch banker"

Former Employee - Branch Banker I in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Branch Banker I in Bowling Green, KY

Pros

good benefits. only pro of working here

Cons

terrible work life balance
    top dogs don't care about tellers

2. "Relationship Banker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, work facilities are ok.

Cons

Upper management are deceitful, and do not allow for independent thinkers. Regional and Senior Managers are very petty and fragile if you happen to disagree with their positions.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the Regional Managers that have been there more than 5 years. Be more inclusive and get more minorities in Senior positions.

"Do not work there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are OK. Pay is good however you have to furnish all of your own office supplies and branch supplies. Company does not want to supply ANYTHING!.

Cons

Poor communication with management, high turnover, short staffed.

Advice to Management

Market leaders should have more responsibility and there work should be monitored more closely.

5. "EDO Dept at Winston Salem -Worst Company to ever work for!!!"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at BB&T as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can see about

Cons

1. Worst work culture
    2. Worst people management
    3. Dumb management
    4. Disorganized Leadership

Advice to Management

Nothing -- EDO department sucks big time. Brand name is getting spoiled

6. "Senior Teller"

Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Kissimmee, FL
    Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Kissimmee, FL

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free checking account, 40 sick days

Cons

No growth available, very old school, opinion is not valued, short staffing is normal to save company cost but make employees work more,

Advice to Management

Hire more people

"Terrible Merge as a CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Lititz, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Lititz, PA

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to keep my job with the merge and got a raise (but now that the new hires are making $3+/hour more than the existing reps I don't even think this would be considered a pro)

Cons

Bare minimum training during the process of the merge (probably meaning they're going to get rid of us), micromanaging, hiring 50+ people in 2 months, overdraft fees based on algorithm within the computer system(?), and hiring new people making $17/hour whereas the typical CSR makes just above $14. Not fair in the slightest how you run this company.

Advice to Management

DO NOT LET YOUR MANAGERS MICROMANAGE THE CSR'S! We get it, you could honestly care less about us removable people but please, when the managers start making up their own rules and it contradicts with what we're being told by other centers it really makes us look bad as a whole. I quit this job a while ago because it looks like it's going in the direction of Wells Fargo where it's all sales based and none of it client based. Kelly King is a sly dog and I'm sure Mr. Alpheus Branch would not like the way his company is treating his clients, nor the direction it's taking in the banking industry. Change something soon or you're going to lose a lot more talented, hardworking individuals and settle for lethargic, churlish ones.

"Corporate Information Security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wake Forest, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wake Forest, NC

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance is decent, the good stops there.

Cons

If you are in the IT or Information Security career field , this is the WORST environment you could possibly work in. The culture is toxic and the senior level managers are incompetent, and that is putting it mildly. The salaries are two to three times lower than the same positions in Raleigh. The building that houses IT and Infosec is horrific and in a rough part of Wilson. The raises are non-existent and they do not recognize advanced degrees as most of the managers don't even posses a college education. Their focus is certifications and not actual knowledge. If you want a place where you do not want to have to think and they way to move up at all is to kiss up to your boss then this rat hole is for you. They LOVE to tell people that the grass is not greener on the other side, however it's so much greener it's not even funny. Everyone I know that has left within the past few months, and there are several, have doubled their salaries so how green is that!!

Advice to Management

Treat your people that have broad knowledge bases and experience well or they will continue to leave. Don't tell people that they need to "socialize" their desire to change positions to receive proper support. Try to meet market rate for specialized positions. Know that those of us that have left have been telling everyone we know NOT to work for BB&T!! Executive management needs to know how toxic the environment is in Wilson!!

9. "Client Service Agent II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good.

Cons

The Account Executives are awful. The Client Service Agent position has A LOT of turnover! The pay is low and the headache is not worth it.

"Very unprofessional"

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Clemmons, NC
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Clemmons, NC

Pros

The pay is nice. Most of the people seem to be very friendly.

Cons

Training is very questionable. I went through a temp agency & was excited to get such a "great opportunity". I was put with a team leader who was, for the most part unhappy to have the responsibility of training me. That was nerve-wrecking for me! She would stop mid-training to go do other things. I spent about 6 days learning to navigate the system that took 4 days for me to gain complete individual access. Then, I spent half the day on the phone for the first time with my trainer on a splitter. By lunch 12pm, someone called her into a meeting. When I came back from lunch she came & sat with me again for less than than an hour & disappeared again. At this point I'm more nervous than when I began because my training wasn't at all consistent. Later she dumped me on someone else. The following day, this trainer gave me 5 worksheets to work on while she did work on her own system. By lunch, I got a call from the temp agency telling me they feel I'm "not comfortable'! I've NEVER been in any company that decides to end a contract after 1 attempt at training with trainee taking calls. Then nobody Sheffield to inform why I was being sent home.
    Nobody actually even spoke to me to inform me what needed to be done to get better with my calls since I'm new. Lastly, as I'm getting my things together & saying bye to my cube neighbor who was very nice to me, a really mean lady comes up to me & says "you have to leave!" & even rode me down in the elevator to make sure. This lady is the work buddy of my trainer, they go on all they're breaks together & both seem like the meanest people in the building. This was a HORRIBLE experience! No money is worth being treated like this! I felt they just needed some ridiculous reason to get my trainer out of doing her job. Then I felt ganged up on & bullied!

Advice to Management

I've been passed around to 2 other people for training after being given a trainer. It would be very efficient to have someone that is willing to take the responsibility of training before assigning the position. I would have benefited more from consistency & honesty. I watched someone who was there the day before me, had more time (about a week) taking calls with her trainer & was asking for plenty of help once on her own, yet I was let go for "lack of comfort" though I was thriving. Training needs to be at least 1 week learning the system & 1 week taking calls with supervision (not 1 day) before determining a new employee's comfort or ability to be a "good fit".

"Relationship Banker"

Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at BB&T (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Health Benefits, CEO and Ricky Brown...awesome gentlemen of integrity

Cons

A lot of underhanded manipulation IN THE COUNTY I worked from. They utilize the "at will State" and will terminate if they feel you do not fit what they are looking for. By the time they utilize it, you are ready from all the bullying.

Advice to Management

You truly need to exercise the anonymous reporting. I know first hand when something is reported, the person who reported it is usually let go. I know I sent a letter to the CEO and Ricky Brown, but unfortunately they never received the letters. It makes you look like you turn a blind eye. I personally respect both of you. You have met me.

Showing 115 of 1,230 reviews