BB&T Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Worse job choice ever"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Columbus, GA

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with in the branches;

Cons

Awful management structure; No timely feedback; Worse departmental segregation I have ever seen...

Advice to Management

Top management truly needs to find out what is going on in the trenches; Human Resources only believes the higher ups, which basically is a Kangaroo Court; If you are going to preach core values, than you need to make sure all employees, not just some, adhere to them.

"Inadequate training, inconsistent policies"

I have been working at BB&T part-time

Pros

It's a job and the pay was decent.

Cons

Unfortunately, although pay was decent, I was only PT, so I didn't earn enough to support myself.
    Training for this job where you handled accounts and money only lasted 2 days.
    Coworkers who were supposed to be supportive were rude and curt time (although they had plenty of time to chit chat with customers about their personal business).
    I was hired right before the manager went on a 2 week leave, so I couldn't go to her for help
    I was required to answer the phone while assisting customers standing right in front of me.
    Customers were charged so many fees that they often asked me to do tasks that they'd normally have to pay BB&T for (such as rolling coins, printing account transactions & balances, etc.) I didn't mind helping the customers, but this made for long lines in the lobby.
    Rules were applied inconsistently, which made it particularly hard for me as a new employee. One time a customer yelled at me, then filed a complaint because I would not allow her to withdraw $1300 from her account WITH NO ID WHATSOEVER. Instead of thanking me for helping to protect her account, I was punished for it. She said that the other tellers let her do it, so I should also. I had no idea if this woman was the actual account holder. (Who leaves the house w/o any form of ID?? Especially if you're visiting the bank!)
    When I couldn't get anyone to help me if I had a transaction I couldn't figure out, I was reprimanded for attempting to resolve it myself.

Advice to Management

Put in more time training employees. Don't put your newest teller directly in the line of fire on a daily basis.
    Don't allow established employees to treat newbies disrespectfully.
    Finally, if a new employee is having problems, TALK to him/her to see what the issue is. Don't just assume that it'll all just improve in time.
    Do NOT hire new employees when you're about to go on leave/get married/go abroad, etc.

3. "Work load and accountability on few shoulders."

Current Employee - Operations Specialist
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Autonomy, pension, other benefits, vacation plan

Cons

Unhelpful management, heavy workloads, no accountability for poor performance

Advice to Management

The work of many seems to rest on just a few people from top to bottom- particularly in Operations. Branches are expected to pass audits and reviews but there is no accountability on them if they don’t. The burden falls to the Operations team who is under valued, disrespect by sales teams, over-worked, and left with no way to win. This is fundamentally flawed and tells your employees that operational excellence is optional and second to sales and saving money.

4. "Poor Management, Bad Decisions - avoid"

Former Employee - Market Leader
    Former Employee - Market Leader

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A moral company, never been asked to do something I thought was sleazy

Cons

Once a year bonus stinks (if you get it), raises are a joke (if you get one - 2% max last year), branches staffed with skeleton crew, technology is worst in the industry, incentive and goal system just doesn't make sense, people are leaving like crazy and those still there want to get out. This used to be a great company.

Advice to Management

You're asking too much of your market leaders - you give them all the sales pressure, all the branch management, all the @work, all the business development, all of the mystery shop/customer satisfaction onus, but keep taking away authority and the ability to get your team to participate. Taking away sales goals from bankers was an absolute mistake. Now you're threatening us with way higher goals or else? No thank you. This move is going to backfire big time and you're going to tank your sales performance even more.

5. "Full time Teller"

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health insurance. Closed on Saturday

Cons

Manager was awful!!! Not at all professional. Was brand new at time and went straight to HR instead of handling conflict at branch level and even helped associate that had a problem dial HR’s phone number!

Advice to Management

Care about all of your associates. White folks count also. Seems like this company only protects transgender and African American

6. "Don't walk away from a job offer...RUN!!! You've been warned!"

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and mileage reimbursement.

Cons

Ridiculously low salary, 24k which is actually a forgivable draw.

Really low commissions post DOL, which won't change back now that DOL rules have been postponed.

Management, both upper and middle, that doesn't give a crap, and gives you absolutely no help.

Extremely low moral inside the branches due to the high goals, low pay and lack of meaningful training. Investments are simply not a priority.

Archaic technology that is glitchy and is extremely convoluted.

15-20 minute waits for client support.

Internal competition from private/wealth/Scott and Stringfellow, you are supposed to bring them referrals, but good luck getting any out of them.

No internal advancement opportunities whatsoever.

IC's are treated like throwaways, which is why the turnover has been extremely high.

This is a Annuity shop, based on the pay grid there is no way you can make a living building a solid book of business. Most of the clients you will see will be well under 500k and are risk averse

Advice to Management

You claim that you care about your people when everything you have done over the past year has demonstrated that you don't. You cut everyone's salary from 48k/year to 24k without notice and without any regard for the peoples lives it might effect. You have continued to squeeze this division every chance you have gotten, it's no wonder that BBTIS has one of the worst reputations in the business.

7. "Technology Professionals Beware"

Current Employee - Cyber Security in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Cyber Security in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Salary but the benefits are expensive.

Cons

Ineffective management, unclear priorities, unhelpful culture, unrealistic expectations,. I am sure that there are places within BB&T that are great to work work but if you are involved in a support function you could do better. This is a place where ineffective technology folks come to retire.

Advice to Management

Foster an environment of accountability. Constantly hiring new people to attempt to get the results the previous hires were expected to produce is not a good long term strategy. Look at teams with high turnover I would guess you will find major disconnect between associates and managers.

8. "Reconciliation Specialist"

Current Employee - RECONCILIATION SPECIALIST in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - RECONCILIATION SPECIALIST in Wilson, NC

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Our CEO (former and present) have a great vision for BB&T.

Cons

The vision of our CEO is not carried out by our management staff.

Advice to Management

Tune in to the culture of the corporation where we are employed.

9. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Network Analyst
    Former Employee - Network Analyst

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a stable company.

Cons

Good Ole Boys company.... Not a a good place to advance for minorities.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your IT managment. It clearly shows the lack of opportunities for minorities.

10. "Customer"

I worked at BB&T full-time

Pros

Nothing this place sucks yep

Cons

Everything yes this place sux

Advice to Management

Go to college and aDoctorates of Pleasing Customers! Your Customer service skills suck and Playing with people money!!!!! You should be ashamed of yourselves!

Showing 139 of 1,435 reviews