BB&T Reviews | Glassdoor

BB&T Reviews

Updated September 13, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Tough to make sales goals when no one walks into your branch (in 49 reviews)

• Work/life balance isn't the best (in 21 reviews)

"Lousy Company"

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and incentives for employees, plenty of locations making it convenient for potential clients.

Cons

Shady management who focuses on bogus goals similar to the recent Wells Fargo scandal. They talked of "doing the right thing" out of one side of their face but wanted you to lie, cheat and/or steal to get production.

Advice to Management

Incredibly inbred management and support team for a company that size with too much group think and too little room for new/opposing ideas. Company was much better under John Allison, has seen a quick and steady decline in employee morale since Kelly King took the reins. His "aw shucks" good ol' boy shtick doesn't match up with insincere actions. Way too focused on his LDP "leadership" program which has earned graduates the nickname of "Loser, Doesn't Produce" for their lack of real world ability. Send off their management team to creepy isolated training in which they are basically hypnotized and brainwashed into drinking the company koolaid....although they do come home with a nice rubber ducky from the experience *sarcasm*

"Terrible Merge as a CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Lititz, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Lititz, PA

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to keep my job with the merge and got a raise (but now that the new hires are making $3+/hour more than the existing reps I don't even think this would be considered a pro)

Cons

Bare minimum training during the process of the merge (probably meaning they're going to get rid of us), micromanaging, hiring 50+ people in 2 months, overdraft fees based on algorithm within the computer system(?), and hiring new people making $17/hour whereas the typical CSR makes just above $14. Not fair in the slightest how you run this company.

Advice to Management

DO NOT LET YOUR MANAGERS MICROMANAGE THE CSR'S! We get it, you could honestly care less about us removable people but please, when the managers start making up their own rules and it contradicts with what we're being told by other centers it really makes us look bad as a whole. I quit this job a while ago because it looks like it's going in the direction of Wells Fargo where it's all sales based and none of it client based. Kelly King is a sly dog and I'm sure Mr. Alpheus Branch would not like the way his company is treating his clients, nor the direction it's taking in the banking industry. Change something soon or you're going to lose a lot more talented, hardworking individuals and settle for lethargic, churlish ones.

"Corporate Information Security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wake Forest, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wake Forest, NC

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance is decent, the good stops there.

Cons

If you are in the IT or Information Security career field , this is the WORST environment you could possibly work in. The culture is toxic and the senior level managers are incompetent, and that is putting it mildly. The salaries are two to three times lower than the same positions in Raleigh. The building that houses IT and Infosec is horrific and in a rough part of Wilson. The raises are non-existent and they do not recognize advanced degrees as most of the managers don't even posses a college education. Their focus is certifications and not actual knowledge. If you want a place where you do not want to have to think and they way to move up at all is to kiss up to your boss then this rat hole is for you. They LOVE to tell people that the grass is not greener on the other side, however it's so much greener it's not even funny. Everyone I know that has left within the past few months, and there are several, have doubled their salaries so how green is that!!

Advice to Management

Treat your people that have broad knowledge bases and experience well or they will continue to leave. Don't tell people that they need to "socialize" their desire to change positions to receive proper support. Try to meet market rate for specialized positions. Know that those of us that have left have been telling everyone we know NOT to work for BB&T!! Executive management needs to know how toxic the environment is in Wilson!!

4. "Client Service Agent II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good.

Cons

The Account Executives are awful. The Client Service Agent position has A LOT of turnover! The pay is low and the headache is not worth it.

"Very unprofessional"

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Clemmons, NC
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Clemmons, NC

Pros

The pay is nice. Most of the people seem to be very friendly.

Cons

Training is very questionable. I went through a temp agency & was excited to get such a "great opportunity". I was put with a team leader who was, for the most part unhappy to have the responsibility of training me. That was nerve-wrecking for me! She would stop mid-training to go do other things. I spent about 6 days learning to navigate the system that took 4 days for me to gain complete individual access. Then, I spent half the day on the phone for the first time with my trainer on a splitter. By lunch 12pm, someone called her into a meeting. When I came back from lunch she came & sat with me again for less than than an hour & disappeared again. At this point I'm more nervous than when I began because my training wasn't at all consistent. Later she dumped me on someone else. The following day, this trainer gave me 5 worksheets to work on while she did work on her own system. By lunch, I got a call from the temp agency telling me they feel I'm "not comfortable'! I've NEVER been in any company that decides to end a contract after 1 attempt at training with trainee taking calls. Then nobody Sheffield to inform why I was being sent home.
    Nobody actually even spoke to me to inform me what needed to be done to get better with my calls since I'm new. Lastly, as I'm getting my things together & saying bye to my cube neighbor who was very nice to me, a really mean lady comes up to me & says "you have to leave!" & even rode me down in the elevator to make sure. This lady is the work buddy of my trainer, they go on all they're breaks together & both seem like the meanest people in the building. This was a HORRIBLE experience! No money is worth being treated like this! I felt they just needed some ridiculous reason to get my trainer out of doing her job. Then I felt ganged up on & bullied!

Advice to Management

I've been passed around to 2 other people for training after being given a trainer. It would be very efficient to have someone that is willing to take the responsibility of training before assigning the position. I would have benefited more from consistency & honesty. I watched someone who was there the day before me, had more time (about a week) taking calls with her trainer & was asking for plenty of help once on her own, yet I was let go for "lack of comfort" though I was thriving. Training needs to be at least 1 week learning the system & 1 week taking calls with supervision (not 1 day) before determining a new employee's comfort or ability to be a "good fit".

"Investment Consultant"

Pros

The people are nice. Not much else.

Cons

Poor training, poor customer service, lots of fees

Advice to Management

Telling people to act enthusiastic doesn't work. Make their job situation better and they will be happy to greet customers with "Welcome to BB&T".

"Relationship Banker"

Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at BB&T (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Health Benefits, CEO and Ricky Brown...awesome gentlemen of integrity

Cons

A lot of underhanded manipulation IN THE COUNTY I worked from. They utilize the "at will State" and will terminate if they feel you do not fit what they are looking for. By the time they utilize it, you are ready from all the bullying.

Advice to Management

You truly need to exercise the anonymous reporting. I know first hand when something is reported, the person who reported it is usually let go. I know I sent a letter to the CEO and Ricky Brown, but unfortunately they never received the letters. It makes you look like you turn a blind eye. I personally respect both of you. You have met me.

"Values tenure over talent"

Pros

Micro managers. Pay is not consistent with the responsibilities.

Cons

No career development. No performance-based incentives.

"Reconsider your career start as Credit Analyst"

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Greensboro, NC

Pros

You have a job, you're getting paid.
    You'll become more detail-oriented***
    You'll realize that you probably want to work somewhere else :)

Cons

1. Politics. Too much politics. You will not be promoted unless you join the politics. I've witnessed too many people promoted on politics and not merit. Also, someone who has no idea what they are doing will be promoted ahead as your Team Lead beause their cousin works at the bank :)

2. Robotic. The more robotic you are, the better. This department expects you to not spend time networking around people who are 3+ years ahead of you, but rather, you should be at your desk 24/7 adding to the production line.

3. sCraps. This division gives you no foods, drinks, or any HR-coordinated events. Instead, they will give you more work and expect you to smile and ask for you. If you ask why we don't network or have more than a half day for community service, the answer is production! Even if the que is at 0 for the department of 100+ people, they will make you stay at work and want you to "act busy" for no reason. Makes no sense to me.

4. Failed leadership. This company preaches about leadership but you'll notice there isn't a single leader here. You probably won't respect your team leads after several months because (1) you know more than they do and (2) you get tired of being treated as a child. Your team leads will also remind you that they are "watching you" constantly, like children. Leadership is not promoted on merit but promoted on politics. You'll notice that you have a better quality and production than your peers but one of them will be selected ahead of you, not because of your attitude, but because they spent more time brown-nosing around. You'll notice the average team lead doesn't meet the department's requirements of production and quality but you'll notice they are promoted because of family and friends. Promoted based off networks, which they make sure you do not have a chance to network around!

5. Budget. The imaginary budget. Management will always talk about how we have no budget but you'll notice that they take weekly team-lead lunches that are all paid for, includes appetizers, main course and desert. No wonder we have no budget. Then when it comes to promotions in a department of 120+, we don't have enough budget to recognize our associates? And don't get caught replacing the printer paper, you may realize we don't have a budget!!!***

6. Lies. During the interview BB&T will say your here for 10-18 months, flat out LIE. Our top analysts are stuck here 2-3 years because the bank will not allow you to apply to more than 2 jobs at a time. Ridiculous, I know. And then you probably won't get these jobs because someone else who knew someone else got the job you were applying for. I've applied for 8 positions, declined on all because someone else knew somebody. And I thought attitude, production, and holding 100% Quality was important? sCrap!

7. I could go on, and trust me, this list can drag, but I'd like you to join the team and add to my current list. I honestly need to find a new job lol. This year we've never had so many of our top analysts happily leave the department. One guy was promoted to CA II and he left the next week, which is the best note to leave on. We keep losing strong analysts and replacing them with weaker analysts. Wonder why you can't retain your talent??

Advice to Management

Quit talking about this "budget." We know it's not true.
    Respect. It's hard to respect you when you tell us that you're here to "watch us interact" like children -- and some of us are OLDER than you. Quit treating us children! Please give us more than HALF day to perform community service per year, "dad." It's pitiful.
    Leadership & open-mindedness (big word for you, I know!). You preach about being open to new ideas, please listen!!! Don't look at me like I'm stupid when you ask me to be "open-minded." If you want the department to turn around, you NEED to listen!!!!!
    As of 2016, I don't think you've ever seen so many Credit Analysts happily up and leave the bank. A wiseman would reconsider his management strategy and philosophy.

"ML Underwriter III"

Current Employee - ML Underwriter III in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - ML Underwriter III in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has good benefit package including 401K, insurance coverage and pension plan. Flex hours to a degree.

Cons

Very unorganized management team. Inconsistent management where managers do not even know 101 underwriting. Very overworked with extremely long hours and their method of "acknowledgement" is to allow you to wear jeans on Friday. Too sales and volume driven with no focus on quality loans. Appears BB&T is headed down the road where banks went in the great crash back in 2007 and 2008. Managers push and push the employees, but do not jump in to help the employees out by helping to underwrite, clear loan conditions. If they choose to do so, they are very critical of the underwriter's work but in turn these are the same managers who do not even know the basics of underwriting.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. Kelly King, get yourself involved more in what is going on the different offices but not just accepting the "rosy picture" your managers are painting to you. They are playing you for a fool. Hire more staff to prevent the existing staff from walking out or laying out of work just to get some rest. Many good employees have left recently just because of being overworked and undercompensated as compared to competition.

Showing 124 of 1,322 reviews