BBC Reviews | Glassdoor

BBC Reviews

Updated March 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance, lots of support in whatever role you get into, your job will be cooler than 99% of your mates' (in 28 reviews)

• Great people / colleagues to work with (in 27 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great people, not so great infraestructure"

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

Pros

I worked as an intern at a small office in Latin America. The people were excellent professionals, talented and ethical.

Cons

The office lacked resources to operate more efficiently, which made for an overly heavy workload.

2. "Gave me the skills I needed to further my Career"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at BBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here full time after college is the single most important reason I am succeeding at my current job. I cant learn well in huge training groups/ Online, but at BBC they took the time to train me in a single teacher setting so that the trainer could focus all of their efforts only on me. The team was also very friendly and made me feel like I had been part of the team for years after only my first week. I enjoy an active work environment and I was never stuck behind a desk or phone while working at BBC , every day I was learning something new.

Cons

Main challenge had to be getting used to putting in extra time outside to make sure I was prepared everyday. This is not a job where you can just clock in then check out mentally, one has to be ready to put in hard work.

Advice to Management

On my first phone conversations with BBC, about pursuing a job, the young lady who I was speaking with was extremely polite yet I had difficulty understanding what she was saying due to a thick accent. I had to make a few extra phone calls just to make sure I had written down the correct information.

3. "great, dynamic environment"

Pros

great people, prestigious, opportunity for growth, exciting place to be

Cons

n/a intern program was very accommodating.

5. "Great company"

Pros

There is lots of career growth opportunity

Cons

I can't think of a con

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Worked on a film produced by BBC. Only good things to say about my experience here.

Cons

No real cons while working here

7. "Interesting"

Pros

Every day was different. The staff are what make it great.

Cons

A bit of an 'Old Boy's Club'

Advice to Management

Speak to and listen to your employees. The middle and lower paid staff work hard and are often not recognized.

"Terrible management"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at BBC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great time-off policies

Cons

poor management, office culture, compensation

Advice to Management

Please consider serious management training. Most execs don't know how to even treat their employees or run a team.

9. "Good overall with huge scope to learn and do things"

Former Employee - Producer
    Former Employee - Producer

I worked at BBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is huge creative scope and the chance to gain program-making experience from the beginning of the career.If you prove you can do your job the BBC can give the chance to be creative.

Cons

Bureaucratic. Unsure of focus. Too much second-guessing the critics. Too much weight given to views of people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Advice to Management

Too many senior managers in non-jobs.

10. "A mixed bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

- Holidays. 26 days a year plus the ability to buy 5 pro-rata.

- Your parents and mates will love it.

- When you come up with a great story or produce some content and look back on it, it feels really great!

- When you pick up the phone to a contributor and tell them you're from the BBC they're generally like putty in your hands.

- If you push for it, there's some great training schemes on offer. This is also a con, because they're rarely offered to you, you just have to organise it yourself then tell the editor!

Cons

- Management are pretty useless really. Lots of them have been sitting on permanent contracts from 'the good old days' for far too long. You will witness meeting after meeting, but will never hear the outcome or anything tangible from them.

- Each of the 6 managers in my department would take around 3-8 'sick' days a year - unheard of in the public sector.

- I was lucky enough to get a permanent contract, many aren't though. Goodbye mortgage and security, hello 2 month contract and all the paranoia that goes with it.

- Station budgets are worked out on how many license fee payers there are in that area, not how many staff are needed. End result is that there's often not enough work to do - Facebook is really popular at the Beeb. One or two people will be rushed of their feet working 10-8 and the rest are left watching.

- Unadventurous Editors. Take them a good controversial story that you've managed to stand up and they may turn it down for fear of losing their jobs.

- Internal pay and progression is worked out based on how long you've sat on your backside, not how good you are.

- Moving around the organisation is more difficult than you think.

- Trying to become a multi-skilled journo is like trying to walk up Everest with a CO2 mask on. It's a horrible fact that each and every contributor would be interviewed by TV, Radio and Online separately in our station, at different times of day. If people were encouraged and trained to be multi-skilled, this could be one interview.

- You will constantly be made to feel as if you're lucky to have your job.

- 95% of the content my station produced wasn't original. Prepare yourself to stop investigating and start writing up press releases.

- Junior staff are still expected to make tea for their managers - how archaic and ridiculous!

Advice to Management

- Train people to become multi-skilled.

- Put good people on contracts that mean they aren't quivering nervous wrecks.

- Change the management structure altogether and sack off some of the dead weight.

- Introduce performance based pay centred around content.

- Let people be creative. This may mean they need to leave the studio to do so. Trust them, they will come back with gold dust.

- Ban writing up press releases word for word. Encourage original journalism instead. The BBC is not an advertising platform for whatever company sends in some interesting facts.

- Stop unpaid work experience schemes - most who do such programmes are generally spat out without a job anyway, so why keep their hopes up?

11. "Globally renowned employer, with its fair share of organisational challenges"

I worked at BBC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, mission-driven people
    Incredible products, world-class creative talent
    Globally renowned brand
    Interesting problems to solve, balancing monetary and mission-driven goals.

Cons

Role ambiguity
    Few perks
    Management getting expenses and salaries published.
    No / low growth, so relatively few promotional opportunities