BBC Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
BBC Worldwide CEO Tim Davie
Tim Davie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is possible to maintain a good work/life balance working here (in 19 reviews)

• Great brand doing some fantastic things around the world (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • If I were to apply for a full time position, I would definitely going to try to seek regions that are a priority, or the London headquarters (in 7 reviews)

• Relatively low pay for what you could make working for an American media company (in 7 reviews)

1. "Wondrful Company"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at BBC Worldwide part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great company to work for. Everyone treats you very nice.

Cons

Nothing about the company is bad

2. "BBC Worldwide NYC"

I have been working at BBC Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous benefits package. Some really wonderful, smart people. Feels good to represent a brand like BBC.

Cons

Major hurdles in getting things done (bureaucracy). Management can be a little old-fashioned. London office can be condescending.

3. "Employee"

I worked at BBC Worldwide full-time

Pros

Great medical benefits and a wonderful organization for those wanting to immerse themselves in a golbal arena.

Cons

Growth potential is non existent and the salary is far below expected market rate.

4. "A great company and team to be part of!"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Coordinator

I have been working at BBC Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've used the term "team" because that is how I feel about my Miami colleagues. And I see they see each other like this.
    The content to sell is amazingly well produced and makes you proud to offer it to others.
    The values of the company are pretty strong and it is possible to see it on the team and in the product. When I am with the Miami team I see happy people working.
    Despite of being new to the team I've been well received and oriented by my foreigners colleagues, always ready to help and provide assistance.

Cons

Up to this point I am unable to see cons regarding the work for BBC.

Advice to Management

Make sure Brazil has the same environment as Miami has.

5. "Development Producer"

I have been working at BBC Worldwide full-time

Pros

Fun environment to work, bosses easy to access and understanding of each country needs.

Cons

Reimbursement system is not practical...

Advice to Management

Keep regular calls with employees.

6. "Opportunities & great people"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at BBC Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative, dynamic and stimulating environment. Staff are collaborative, intelligent and welcoming. The office design is inspiring and puts you at the center of the content

Cons

The tone at the top needs to lead by example more, so that managers are motivated to make people development a priority

Advice to Management

Keep up recent people development improvements

7. "Sales Executive"

I worked at BBC Worldwide full-time

Pros

There are some great people here.

Cons

Slow, rigid, political, too many managers.

"TOXIC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at BBC Worldwide (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Care coverage, Location, Online access to their TV programs

Cons

-By now, its reputation in the industry is clear: it's no longer a CV filler since working there means you don't actually know how to work with the resources necessary to be with any bigger company
    -The people worth having as Mentors either left or were fired
    -The company culture is toxic, and being fake is encouraged by leadership
    -They will tell you there is no budget for anything and you will see wild overspending right in front of your eyes
    -There is no development plan for anyone, or even for the company

Advice to Management

This is Radio all over again, so get licencing in check, think 10 years ahead of how you're thinking, and stop selling the company for parts.

"Awful discrimination against Latin America"

Former Employee - Manager in Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at BBC Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Re-known brand; good health benefits; global operations; good company to have in your CV; some good content; Decent mid level management; nice offices; central location; good technology.

Cons

Once there was an awesome team in the Miami office, but British leadership's discriminating practices and lack of trust with its Latin American employees ruined the growth and killed the business. HR practices in the Mexican office are unacceptable, while British employees in the region get paid high amounts for relocation, schools, expensive car rentals. They bring zero knowledge and juniors are the ones that need to train the senior team. In some occasions junior level staff were flown in coach (against company policy), while VP's were very comfortable in business class. Recent change in leadership and management team was the worse that could happen to the business. Heading a region and not knowing it, is an insult for those that know it and yet don't get to grow within the organization. Manipulation and fear is the day to day practice. No wonder why we've lost great talent this year. UK is unaware of what happens because HR leaders turn a blind eye, and cover for regional leadership. Run as fast as you can! unless you are Brit, then you'll be given opportunities (even if you are not prepared for the responsibilities of your role). Really sad place.

Advice to Management

Learn the region first before making bold decisions that affect people's jobs and lives. Understand that we are educated and valuable individuals capable of turning the business around in a few years (under former leadership), so trust the finances and performance, and allow the region to succeed far from the shadow of UK's inefficiency. You also need a new management team, maybe bring back the ones that run away...

"Concerning Workplace Environment"

Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL

I worked at BBC Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Miami office is small but nice – open floor plan and nice meeting areas; convenient location in Coral Gables
    • Health benefits are above average
    • Strong brand recognition
    • Ability to work with global offices a plus

Cons

• Unethical legal and finance practices abound; constant pressure to deceitfully structure contracts in order to maximize revenues as well as pressure to manipulate sales figures in order to present positive financial performance
    • 'Gross negligence' is the only way to describe HR practices and behaviors at this company; the behaviors and actions that have been fostered have led to a deeply troubled culture
    • Low pay, inept recruiting methods and poor office reputation make it difficult to attract top talent
    • Programming that is unknown or unsuitable for the Latin America region; BBC channels/programs are nearly unsellable in the region
    • Historically poor performance and uncertainty regarding the future of the Miami office beyond 2017 has led to low morale throughout the office

Advice to Management

Grossly negligent HR, immoral finance and accounting methods and unethical legal practices only begin to tell the story of the environment that’s fostered at this company and specifically, the Miami office. Consider this feedback before contemplating employment at the BBC.