BBDO Detroit Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BBDO Detroit CEO of BBDO Worldwide Andrew Robertson
Andrew Robertson

1. "Project management supervisor"

Former Employee - Senior Lead, Diversified Program Administration in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Lead, Diversified Program Administration in Troy, MI

I worked at BBDO Detroit full-time

Pros

Great benefits like pto. Wonderful people. I made a lot friends. Work was balanced. Great agency atmosphere. I really do miss it. When I started the building was new and trendy. I stayed til the end and cried as I walked out.

Cons

I was underpaid compared to people in my group and in same position with other people in same in different companies. I had a boss that fought to get me to avoid laying me off. She got me a small raise in 2007

Advice to Management

There is no advice to give. Bbdo Detroit closed a few years ago and when I used to pass it, I would cry. My tip to management is don't promise a client you will work with only them. Move around creative so they get fresh assignments. I believe workin on the same brand or mail piece makes people come up with stale ideas. Most importantly, the CEO should not have pissed off Chryslers cei

2. "Great creative shop"

Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Associate Creative Director in Troy, MI

I worked at BBDO Detroit full-time

Pros

Great teamwork as well as creative standards. Very hard working yet relaxing atmosphere at the agency

Cons

Very few if any cons. Maybe location due to the fact that it was out in the middle of nowhere and a rather boring and dull building and offices.

Advice to Management

Well run in the ealier years and not so much towards my departure. Cutbacks and layoffs were becoming managements MO as apposed to new business.

3. "Very professional and capable organization with highly qualified people with dedication and can- do spirit"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at BBDO Detroit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Chance to contribute as a nimble individual in a large and rapidly moving organization

Cons

You need to understand the system to be able to access the best people you need when you need them.

Advice to Management

Keep delegating and sharing with your support team because they will help you succeed.

5. "TOO BIG for personal feel"

Former Employee - Art Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Art Director in Detroit, MI

I worked at BBDO Detroit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Creative, cool team. I really enjoyed working here but thought it was a little too impersonal

Cons

TOO BIG. Its hard to stand out in a company so large

6. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Proofreader in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Proofreader in Troy, MI

Pros

Fast-paced ad agency with a lot of energy. Good, creative people to work with. A lot of variety in the work.

Cons

Deadlines were sometimes unrrealistic and the workload could be overwhelming at times. It was hard to keep up with no extra help.

7. "Great all around, except for upper-management apathy"

Former Employee - Finance in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Finance in Troy, MI

Pros

Intelligent, hard-working people. Loose reigns, but very few people exploited this.

Cons

Very little communication from head guy, J.G.

Advice to Management

Too late. Fat lady has sung.

8. "BBDO Detroit Assistant Account Executive"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Detroit, MI

Pros

I truly enjoyed the people I worked with at BBDO. They offer a great benefits package, especially with paid time off. I always received good feeback from Management.

Cons

Unforunately I worked for BBDO as they were downsizing. The office has since closed. Due to shrinking budgets, the opportunity for growth and advancement was not there. My salary was very low, especially compared to other local agencies.

Advice to Management

I don't think the problems at BBDO were the fault of Management. Our contract with Chrysler did not allow for the agency to seek additional clients. I think this was the reason for so many problems.

9. "Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Complete autonomy, lovely work environment

Cons

No longer in business at this time

Advice to Management

None

10. "Done"

Former Employee - Insider in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Insider in Troy, MI

Pros

The staff is the greatest benefit of working there. A very diverse group of people with character, talent and determination makes BBDO a class operation. Of course, the CEO, ECD, CFO and other high ranking management figures don't fall into this group. There is little respect for this bunch.

Cons

Moral is very low.
    With no clear direction being given by the people in charge, the staff often wonders what the future will be.
    Several massive layoffs have cut deep into the minds of the employees as they have watched good coworkers dismissed.
    Having a single client be the foundation of the agency was a fools plan. Now that client is in bankruptcy and there is a huge amount of money owed the agency. Not a good sign. New York could easily dictate that the Detroit office be closed and losses be cut by resigning the client.

Advice to Management

You should have resigned years ago. It was obvious to all that you were in over your head.

11. "Good place to work but not to thrive."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Amazing amount of PTO time and decent benefits. Ever-shrinking staff increases the oppportunity to work on many different kinds of projects with minimal supervision. Management seems to be sincerely concerned about improving employee morale. Friendly, professional atmosphere.

Cons

President lacks needed leadership and communication skills and is generally disliked. Single (automotive) client makes for a lot of layoffs, high employee turnover and overall concern about job stability. Salaries are average and career growth isn't likely in the near future. Training is non-existant. Staff is distracted due to constant worries about the future of the agency.

Advice to Management

Please change.