BBS, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Vincent Conley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learn a lot about sales in a short amount of time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You will be doing door-to-door sales; it's that simple (in 32 reviews)

• Door-to-door sales isn't for everyone (in 22 reviews)

"Advancement and company growth"

Current Employee - Account Manager/Sales Representative in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager/Sales Representative in Woburn, MA

I have been working at BBS, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at BBS for almost 8 months now and still enjoy coming into the office everyday. BBS has a tremendous amount of room for advancement and is a growing sales and marketing firm. I have personally had 2 promotions within the past 8 months and have seen multiple promotions also-
    The hiring managers Vince and Tray, have a 'no seniority' policy which means, if you are out performing others, you get the next promotion.

Other perks - Travel, Competitive base salary, leads are given (No cold calling) High commissions, full health benefits and 50% of gas is paid

The managers encourage any type of feedback and encourage all employees to write reviews on Glassdoor.

Cons

Managers hold high standards. This isn't a complete con but if your numbers start to drop, they will sit you down and have a critical conversation on how to improve. If you don't hit BBS standards, they let people go within 3 weeks. (Not a position for lazy)

Advice to Management

Thank you for running such a fun and positive work environment. I love the direction the company is headed and am excited to see where I am within my first yr of employment.

The bathrooms could use some work :)

"You'll get lots of exercise"

Pros

It is a very energetic environment, almost like being a camp counselor, don't need to keep track of your steps

Cons

Long hours, compensation depends almost entirely upon luck, not the job if you have any knee or ankle problems

Advice to Management

Be more clear when interviewing your potential employees that this job will involve face to face marketing and door to door sales, you created a great environment in the office but the out of office experience leaves a lot to be desired

"SCAM!"

Former Employee - Door to Door Representative
    Former Employee - Door to Door Representative

Pros

There is no Pros stay away!

Cons

Cons list is never ending. It is all in the name Vince CONley this guy is the biggest scam artist I've ever known. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Get a real job and quit scamming hard working individuals.

"Disingenuous Hiring Process"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Woburn, MA

I worked at BBS, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team nights are awesome, it's nice working with people your age. Learn a lot about sales in a short amount of time. Opportunity for travel.
    If you are a good salesperson who wants to own their own business and you have a thick skin, it may be worth your time (but otherwise choose another company).

Cons

Don't let your interviewer try to sell this to you as a marketing job or tell you you will have verified leads. You will be doing door-to-door sales; it's that simple. Some people do really well at it, and that's great, but needs to be more up front about what the job really is to reduce the high turnover. I was also told during the interview that there was a certain minimum amount that you'd make a week. However, that is a draw on future commissions. Go in informed!
    It's also occasionally unsafe - official company policy is to never enter a prospective client's home. However, your trainers and even managers will tell you you have to enter their homes when invited to make the sale. Then, if you get in an unsafe situation, they will backpedal.
    There was also a long time without new territory, leading to employees going to heavily knocked territories and annoyed homeowners.
    Very long hours, Saturdays are technically optional but management will look down on you if you do not come in.

Advice to Management

A more up-front approach during the hiring process will reduce employee turnover. New territory is necessary.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager/Sales Representative in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Sales Representative in Woburn, MA

I worked at BBS, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, friendly leadership and co-workers. Have office nights every week, which were pretty fun. Competitive and motivating every day, if you really want to continue to improve in the company. But, would you even want to?

Cons

The interview was all about something called "direct marketing". Sounds like some term but indeed it's door-to-door sales for Verizon FiOS all around Massachusetts. It's not fun to be lied to. You can't be paid well unless you make many sales. Those who leave are -not because they are not willing to work hard as many "reviews" would say- simply tired of this ridiculously high demand with nothing to support, reward, or at least appreciate, your hard work.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I'm not really a big fan of all this, but at least thank you for being somewhat nice.

"Great First Job"

I worked at BBS, Inc. full-time

Pros

This is a real review--not one by the HR team which is clearly what the ones below are---

I worked at BBS Inc for about 6 months. The job is difficult and it is 100% performance based, with that being said it is a wonderful first job. You are a direct residential sales account manager selling version fios-- so that means you are going door to door selling cable. They can fluff it up however they want-- but that is the job.

Like I said it is difficult, but that doesn't mean this job does not give you the foundation needed for the future. They teach you wonderful sales tactics, time management, ect.

All the tools they teach you help you in the future whether it is continuing with BBS or furthering your career somewhere else.

Not to mention the people that work there are all just out of college so the atmosphere is fun, the managers are 30 going on 19 and you will most definitely have a good time working there.

There is room for growth at BBS-- you become an assisant manager then open up your own branch. Its very unlikely that this happens but if you work hard, and can afford to live off of 100% commission you will be successful.

Cons

There are just a lot of cons with this job:
    -100% performance based induces a lot of stress-- but at any job there is stress, however this job is more stress than normal mostly because of the 100% commission. They do offer you a base so you'll have a paycheck each week but the catch is if you do well one week they will take out of that pay check what you owe them. Which im pretty sure is super illegal but they also only hire recent college grads who dont know thats illegal.
    -Work life balance: This job hours are technically from 12-8, however, they coax people to be early (which you should be for your job) to have one-on-ones for development and come in at like 1030. So you are in the office from 1030-130 then the field till bells (8pm). When bells are over there are office nights (very fun) and team nights (also very fun) which you are encouraged to go to for networking and team bonding. --- All makes sense-- but it is a lot. If you dont go you dont really bond with anyone and thats a big part of getting a heading the business.

Thos are really my only two cons with the job. but you know what they say about crap going falling downhill-- it just adds and adds.

Good first job-- dont make it a career.

Advice to Management

I dont have any advice to management because the business is the way it is-- its not gonna change. But its not a bad first job-- just make sure its not your career.

"The Real Deal on BBS"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Woburn, MA

I worked at BBS, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Want to know the down-low on this company? Listen up folks!

BBS, Inc is a small privately owned sales & marketing firm located in Woburn, MA. It started backed in 2007 and has grown to over 13 locations nationwide. Each location is managed by a "Branch Manager" who once started off in a Entry Level position at BBS, Inc.

BBS only promotes from within the company.

The BBS Business model is simple and streamlined.

Entry Level - 2-4 weeks (You learned the account management, sales, territory, marketing self-management. Simply prove your reliable and can handle the basic field day to day.

Corporate trainer - 6/months - 2/yrs (You learn how to coach, motivate, train a small team within the office. Based on your coaching and team performance you need to his specific requirements in order to qualify for assistant management)

Assistant Manager - 2/months - 6/months (You learn all of the back-end of the business. Profit/Loss, financials, Branding, territory penetration, organize charity events, fundraising, advanced company planning/strategy)

Branch Manager - Run all operations of the office. Day to day on-boarding, hiring, training, morning meetings, work directly with Fortune 100 clients.

Hiring Process - 3 step interview process.
    1st round - Meet and greet with hiring manager
    2nd round - 1hour meeting with top account manager
    3rd round - exit interview with hiring manager

Work Environment - Extremely high energy and fast-paced. Very positive work environment and big on goal setting.
    Field - Direct sales & marketing. This means we meet with customers face to face to educate them on fiber-optics and the benefits/features of a fiber-optic technology that they have access too.
    Work life balance - Hours are flexible. Half day Friday's. Unlimited vacation days (if number's are being hit)

Salary - competitive base salary (even if 0 sales are completed)
    Commissions - uncapped!
    Gas - 50% paid by company
    travel - fully paid travel
    Health insurance - 50% paid through BCBS
    Gym - LA Fitness paid gym membership

Cons

1 Big Con's working at BBS

Constant hiring - BBS has an aggressive goal to get to 50 offices in the next 5 years. The Woburn location is the main corporate office and pretty much the core of the company. This is where everyone who wants to be a manager starts off, trains here, then runs their own office.

Unfortunately, BBS does a lot of hiring at this location. Which means, in a Entry Level position there will be more turn-over in that position then the other positions. So, don't be surprised if you see someone one day, and you find out management let the person go the next. BBS holds high standards and since you get a guaranteed base salary, they don't tolerate lazy account managers.

Remember, growing from 13 offices to 50 offices will take a lot of man power, hiring, and hard work. Be prepared to work at this company and take on a lot of responsibility!

Advice to Management

Thank you for all the training and experience. Truly a wonderful company to come to everyday.

"Account Manager to Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Woburn, MA

I have been working at BBS, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive, optimistic work environment. Very driven employees who are always willing to help. Your future is literally in your hands with great opportunities for advancement and team management.
    I came from a food/beverage background with little 'real world' experience. The managers at BBS give phenomenal training and coaching on a daily basis. Like any company, management is only good as its team. Fast-paced and high energy work environment is needed in a direct sales & marketing firm.

I was promoted from a Entry level position to Corporate trainer within 4 weeks and promoted to Assistant Manager within 8 months from date of hire. Promotions are 100% guaranteed if you hit the standards. Absolutely no seniority or favoritism. Just be willing to work hard and grind!

Cons

100% performance based company. Unlike 'corporate' companies, you get pulled up from upper management for a promotion, at BBS you must hit standards to reach promotions. So you PUSH yourself up.

Everything is FACE to FACE. From interviews, to sales calls. The marketing industry is strictly going to SEO type of marketing or face to face. Billboards, newspapers, tele-marketing, TV commercials (because of Hulu and Netflix) are a dying breed. BBS represents strictly Fortune 100 companies who can handle the SEO side of marketing but they can't handle all the small/medium size business and customers in the market.

If you are looking for your typical 9-5, sit behind a desk and collect a paycheck, this is not a career for you. DO NOT APPLY.

If you aren't willing to put in longer hours like most serious careers (Lawyers, Doctors, High level executives) Do NOT APPLY.

BBS is ranked a Top Places To Work for the past 4 years and Best Places To Work for the past 2 years for a reason....They are one of the fastest growing companies in the country. In order to grow, you need to hire like crazy...UNFORTUNATELY, being ranked the #1 company for MILLENNIALS to work at, you get a lot of young, 'self-entitled', lazy kids who expect to only work 40hours and get paid $100k/yr. NOT HAPPENING HERE!

Advice to Management

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I could not be happier with my career decisions. I was told on my interview with hard-work and dedication that I could get promoted, and I did. Thank you for the follow through and integrity of the company. I get why Fortune 100 companies trust working with you!

9. "Must work"

Pros

Great company to work with, with great atmosphere and infrastructure. Will recommend anyone who is looking for an open environment to work with.

Cons

Door to Door sales, if you are a girl company is not responsible for your safety.

"Great experience - Awesome people"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Woburn, MA

I worked at BBS, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BBS is a good definition of 'work hard, play hard' work environment. Everyday is different and has its own challenges. Management has established a very positive work environment and constantly preaches a 'people helping people business.' I worked at BBS for almost 6 months but then got accepted into grad school, or else I would still be working there.

During my exit interview, Vince asked if I could write how I felt about BBS on this site good or bad. This is my honest opinion of the company. BBS is going places and I am excited to continue watching them grow and expand around the country. Keep up the amazing work and training.

Cons

BBS is a Direct Sales and marketing firm. The clients provide leads, so there is no Cold Calling and No 'Door to door' type sales. Some clients can cancel after you sign them up and others may back out at the last second. This is probably the most frustrating part of the field.
    In order to move up in the company, you need to bring a 100% work ethic everyday. You can easily get passed up by a new 'hot shot' employee.

Advice to Management

Continue the amazing fun and positive work environment.
    The charity events are awesome, I would recommend doing them more often :)
    Thank you for all the amazing skills I learned within 6 months!