BBVA Compass Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BBVA Compass BBVA Compass CEO and BBVA U.S. Country Manager Onur Genç
Onur Genç

Pros
  • Company provides great work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Has great benefits for the employees and the incentive pay is easy to make if you put in hard work (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is not great (in 25 reviews)

• Low salary, upper management understanding of our work is few (in 28 reviews)

"A great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They care about their employees. Alot of times your experience can be influenced by your manager but what I have found over the many years of being with the company is that it also depends on how hard your willing to work. The sales goals are pretty reasonable and as long as your meeting your goals there is not that extreme sales pressure you get from big banks. If you are licensed you have the potential to make alot more money as the bank pays one of the highest commissions. However the location of your branch can make a significance in that. The great thing is that you can move from one branch to the other pretty easy IF you are proactive.

Cons

When you are hired into the company at a low grade you have the opportunity to move up in positions and roles. However moving within the company grants you minimal promotional raises. There may be times you are with the company for years and have all your licenses. All of a sudden, a random employee enters in form the outside and they can be paid 10k more than you a year. This has to be their biggest downfall.

Advice to Management

Work more as a team and involve all of your employees in the banking center. Each employee plays a key role in the success of the branch. Micromanagement is a thing of the past. Overall the executives are amazing and do a great job and listen to their employees.

"Previous Sales doesn't equal Great Manager"

Former Employee - Sales &Amp; Service Advisor in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales &Amp; Service Advisor in Mesa, AZ

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When you had a manager who knew how to lead, coach, and train the work was great

Cons

High movement in company means that you switched managers often and it leads to instability

Advice to Management

Don't promote managers because they were good salespeople. Sales and leadership are not the same skillset.

"ASM/FSA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at BBVA Compass (More than a year)

Pros

There is really nothing positive to say. I was made to feel awful about being a working mom and was put through so much unnecessary stress that I almost miscarried my son.

Cons

Shortly after starting with the company as an ASM I found out I was pregnant. As soon as I thought management they made my life miserable and then after a few months forced me to demote myself. After the baby was born in was made to feel bad about pumping at work. I was given the conference room to pump in, which was full of windows and cameras. I was constantly asked why I chose to breastfeed and when I was going to be done. I finally ended up leaving the company because I didn't feel comfortable working in that type of environment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more accepting to women especially working mothers. They need to be more accessible to breastfeeding mothers and not tell there employees the company comes before their family.

5. "Numbers mean little"

Former Employee - Sales and Service in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales and Service in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at BBVA Compass (Less than a year)

Pros

Incentive pay great compared to other banks.

Cons

Unfortunately numbers mean very little. It is up to management for your continued growth. Also there is a lot of lay ioffs.

Advice to Management

Look into your management as to why there is high turn over. Also establish guidelines there is too much grey area

6. "Turning into Chase"

Current Employee - Branch Retail Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Branch Retail Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are moving in a good direction with tech and systems. They are also actively trying to improve their culture. Have a lot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

They are trying to be Chase. They have highered a lot of former Chase executives. This is not necessarily a bad thing depending on you experience with Chase.

7. "Financial advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Sales Advisor in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Sales Advisor in Mesa, AZ

I worked at BBVA Compass (More than a year)

Pros

None, there is absolutely nothing good to say about this company. Except maybe the recruiter Joe Perez.

Cons

Horrible management, Human resources always sides with them. Terrible technology. They are totally trying to hire only Chase people that even got fired or were let go??? Why???

Advice to Management

Rething everything

8. "Promotes from within."

Current Employee - Underwriter in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is big on promoting from within. They also are very stable unlike other lenders that layoff or close their offices.

Cons

The new system implemented is very difficult to work in. Executive management is not big on working with operations and sales on a more efficient strategy to increase business and create a more efficient work flow. Sales needs to train their loan officers as well.

"Wonderful until management changes in mid 2015."

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Up until management changes in mid 2015 my experience was good. Had a great Regional Operations Manager who motivated us. He treated us like family and if you were having personal issues he always tried to help and accommodate to the best of his ability, not so much on the other region.

Initial pay was good but the yearly increases were minimal.

Cons

Upper Management is not in touch with day to day operations. Arizona conducts business and has different clientele than Alabama.

Bonus structure is not defined in a timely manner. Too many variables and in 2015 the bonus structure wasn't approved and staff notified until the 3rd quarter. If the company makes a profit then the employees should make a profit. A bonus in Alabama of X dollars may seem like a great bonus but in Arizona that same bonus wouldn't even pay rent or a mortgage payment. A per file bonus should be looked at.

Communication between departments is basically non existent. Guidelines are updated but not to everyone at the same time. Underwriting gets told one thing, processing another and closing yet another.

There are too many QA stops/reviews and the QA checklist has numerous items that are not salability issues, but if you get a fail then chances are you won't get a bonus unless your manager fights for you to get one.

When overtime was allowed, a team lead had to be present otherwise you were not allowed to stay and work. Regardless if there was a manager from another department still in the office. Felt like I was back in elementary school and had to have a babysitter.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring people you know so you can control them like a puppet. Hire qualified people who know and understand the industry and the day to day operations.

Don't compare Alabama and Arizona to each other. That is like comparing apples and oranges. Yes they are both fruit, but very different. There should be managers in Arizona for all department and not someone who flies back and forth from Alabama who doesn't understand the Arizona market.

Upper management should sit down with staff in operations (processors, underwriters, closing, etc) and see what struggles there are instead of listening to managers who don't know the day to day operations. Also if that happens there cannot be any backlash on the employees for speaking up and telling them what they see the problems are and how they would fix it. I have been in multiple round tables where we discussed what issues we were having and what we would do to fix it and NOTHING ever changes.

Be proactive not reactive.

There are too many specialty teams. Builder team, government team, wealth team, Spanish team, etc. Yes there should be a dedicated team for construction loans and the Spanish speaking borrowers, but the rest of them they need to do away with them. Processors should be able to switch gears and work government loans, portfolio loans and FNMA otherwise you lose the knowledge.

Personal opinion, I think they need to reboot the entire mortgage division from top to bottom and put people in charge that have a can do attitude instead of finding ways to not do a loan. We are in the 21st century and they are operating as if we were in the 90's trying things that other banks tried and failed at such as outsourcing. I personally would be upset if I knew people in another country were looking at my personal information.

10. "Overal"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great benefits and bonus structure. Had great products to offer consumers and businesses.

Cons

We given high goals. They went significantly .

11. "Good work life balance!"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, mostly. Good benefits, time off, Vacation and holiday pay. 401k

Cons

Branch manager is terrible. Very poor customer service skills, very inexperienced and keeps making many mistakes. Pathological liar....not sure why she hasn't been fired. The push for digital migration is too hard. Many clients don't trust technology, but our goals and incentives require us to push mobile deposits. Most can't make goal in my district.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stop in branches more often. Upgrading basic equipment needs done...so many things don't work..or are old. Customers comment on it often. Branches need to be consistent in policies.