BCA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BCA CEO Jon Olsen
Jon Olsen

Pros
  • You get to drive some nice cars (in 4 reviews)

• Meet new people and drive nice cars (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, repetitive, very very poor training, unlikable management, no room for progression, ridiculous work load (in 6 reviews)

• Self Employed Drivers should really be employed (in 6 reviews)

"Self Employed driver"

Current Employee - BCA Logistics Self Employed
    Current Employee - BCA Logistics Self Employed

I have been working at BCA full-time

Pros

Drive many top range prestige cars
    Meet great clients and colleagues
    Work provided through smart phone app and paperless process
    self billed invoice paid weekly bacs
    Working day starts and ends at home
    Support office for work allocations and support
    expenses often paid
    Most weeks earnings as expected or above
    job role freedom and trust, Monday to Friday
    trade plates provided free

Cons

Winter can be demanding so prepare well to manage well
    Some odd weeks earnings can drop off
    traffic delays annoying

Advice to Management

planning is the key to job satisfaction so attention to detail and keeps the gaps small.

"Have a try you might be s urprised"

Current Employee - Self Employed Driver in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Self Employed Driver in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at BCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a plater driver for BCA is a job that gets you all over the UK and you really do drive some decent cars meet great people and have plenty of nice coffee at dealerships and biscuits if your lucky.
    Pay can range depending on time of year and your flexibility but a liveable wage is achievable.
    There are swings and roundabouts with the job but a lot more positives than negatives and to really understand the role you need to give it a reasonable try and not walk away after the first week.

Cons

No holiday pay and bad weather can be negatives but the flexibility of self employed can be a bonus

Advice to Management

Maybe better call centre training as sometimes the phones dont get answered fast enough.

3. "Red Plate Driver"

Pros

Lots of job variety with a range of assignments which include the pick-up and drop off of lots of different car make and models

Cons

Operations department was in chaos because they had so much work on which resulted in drivers having to go long distances between collection points, most of which was on public transport which resulted in long days on poor pay; you are paid per collection/drop-off so you are very much dependent upon getting the right sort of jobs issued to you. You also had to pay up-front for your travel expenses and then claim it back, technically the roles are mostly self-employed, I would stay away from this company.

Advice to Management

Stop being greedy and look after your staff better then you wouldn't waste so much time on training them up only for them to disappear when they realise just how much their hourly rate is - Your a big profitable company why not be a market leader as opposed to a market follower!

"Average"

Current Employee - Administrator in Portbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrator in Portbury, England (UK)

I have been working at BCA (Less than a year)

Pros

The fellow employees are nice, and the structure is well thought out within the office. A reasonable amount of holidays.

Cons

No sick pay is available in my contract however some people have it in theirs. I am paid hourly rather than salaried.

Advice to Management

Management within the office are easy to talk to, and very nice. The office is a pleasant place to be on most days. I am not qualified to offer any advice.

6. "Lots of dead time"

Former Employee - Self Employed Driver in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at BCA part-time

Pros

Ability to choose when you work. Occasionally you get an extra job and a couple of hours time for being flexible. £20 - £30 per job, mostly at the lower end. Can get expenses when necessary by agreement with controller. 2 or 3 jobs per day.

Cons

Lots of dead time travelling on public transport. Planners seem to work on distance rather than what can be done using public transport. Some places only have one or two buses a day. Probably works best if you team up with other drivers.
    Delivery points often in the middle of nowhere, be prepared for a walk.

Advice to Management

Organise teams of drivers to cut down on public transport. Improve signage and introduce and train in procedures at BCA sites. Where to go was always a mystery to me...

7. "Avoid"

I worked at BCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked within a small team at a regional office. Fairly decent salary and reasonable working hours. One or two of the senior managers in our office were pleasant.

Cons

The office I worked in was cliquey and I never felt as if I fit in. I was never given proper training and was constantly overlooked for more favoured members of staff. I'd be given enough work for three hours of the day, and for the remaining four or five, I just had to sit at my desk and answer the phone when it rang. I asked for more work but was given menial tasks every time. I quit after less than six months.

Advice to Management

Treat all your staff equally, no matter how small the office. Provide a comprehensive training programme. Improve your benefits package.

"Fleet Coordinator"

I have been working at BCA full-time

Pros

Good and friendly environment here

Cons

Pay isnt great, and not many progression opps

9. "Trade Plate driver"

Former Employee - Auctions Trade Plate Driver in Farnham, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at BCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Driving cars that very few will get to drive , travelling the country end to end and seeing new places almost daily

Cons

Low pay. you are self employed and paid per delivery, its impossible to live on the money if you 'do this as a full time job.Management and supervision are remote, in 3 month I never met any.

Advice to Management

Better control centre, waiting to speak to a controller for half an hour on hold isn't good enough. Stop controllers ringing drivers while they are driving and then taking dici[linary action if they don't answer. Duty of care is woefull, I was lost two miles from the nearest main road and a dead phone, I was missing for 3 hours, I got back in touch to find one text asking where I was

"BCA - A Great Place to Work"

Pros

My experience working for BCA has been nothing but positive, which i have to say has come as a surprise having read some previous reviews. Colleagues have been very welcoming and there seems to be a good network of support. The company is open to new ways of doing things and happy to make changes where needed.

Cons

Improvements could be made in the communication channels between head office and those on the road.

Advice to Management

Be open to continually improving and listen to those working on the ground. Drivers are the lifeblood of your business.

11. "Some great people but such poor management"

Pros

My colleagues were a fantastic group.

Cons

Management couldn't organise a party in a brewery. All passive aggressive middle management types who don't take responsibility for their actions. The advertised salary was also 2k more than what they offered, which is a very suspect practice and made the job seriously underpaid. Constantly expect overtime and training was non-existent.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourselves, with staff, with customers, and with your superiors. You can;t shy away from your failure forever and will be found out at some stage.