BCBG Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
BCBG Chairman and CEO Max Azria
Max Azria

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great discount, amazing shop manager (in 133 reviews)

• Access to the latest fashion you will learn a lot about garments construction and styling the right pieces for the right body types (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • New Structure of the company after bankruptcy has become extremely demanding on work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management isn't the greatest - company filed for bankruptcy so obviously there were some issues (in 83 reviews)

1. "Marketing Intern"

Former Intern - Intern Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BCBG as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Good internship program with lot of opportunities

Cons

Head quarters in bad part of town

2. "What a disaster and an Illegal Mess"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BCBG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount Clothes Benefits Discount Clothes

Cons

Disorganized, Antiquated Practices, Abusive, Sweat-Shop Mentality, Nothing ever worked correctly.

Advice to Management

It's 2017 Retail. Start empowering your people and be consistent.

"overworked and under paid"

I worked at BCBG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount, ability to move up due to high turn over

Cons

no training, must learn as you go and on your own

Advice to Management

invest in employees/nurture talent

4. "pos level 2 tech"

Former Employee - Field Tech in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Tech in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BCBG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice to work with

Cons

bankrupt no chance of moving up

5. "Apparel Intern"

Former Intern - Apparel in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Apparel in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BCBG as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to apparel production process
    Better understanding of company aesthetic

Cons

No time formal training
    Poor employee work life balance stress often trickles down to interns
    Unpaid - no compensation

6. "Design Intern"

Current Employee - Design Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Design Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BCBG part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working experience, learned a lot

Cons

Unstable and pay wasn't high

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BCBG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k and healthcare coverage

Cons

upper Management is awful, ignores emails, phone calls and offers no support but will blame you for a business that has been failing for years. They offer low compensation for Sales employees but want you to hire experienced sales associates but then when asked about offering something more competitive they will say to "hire cool mom's who don't have to work but want the discount".... That is a direct quote from a upper level manager... Clearly people who only work for a discount aren't going to push themselves on the sales floor! It is very much like high school , upper management is friends with several of the store managers and plays favs all the time, protecting their friends even if they are going against company policy.

Advice to Management

You have turned the BCBG Client into a discount shopper. Stop offering constant markdowns, especially on new Merchandise, limit final markdown prices.
    70% + off shows that you do not believe in the quality of your product.. Invest in better fabrics as well as the design that will support the price points. Investing in your employees is investing in your business.

"BCBG - GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO GROW"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BCBG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BCBG has provided the most amazing career growth opportunity for me. I have been promoted 3 times in 4 years proving that if you are good at what you do and you are willing to advocate for yourself, BCBG business leaders will do all they can to honor your requests should you prove your worth.

It has always been a dream of mine to work in-house at a fashion company as a recruiter and not only have I had the opportunity to work for my favorite fashion brand - I am on a team that is given a $500 corporate clothing allowance enabling me to dress in BCBG head to toe for work everyday. The in-store discount is 70% off clothes, 50% off accessories and the on-site Bon Chic Boutique allows employees to purchase Herve Leger bandage dresses for up to 85% off (I was able to wear not one but TWO HL dresses for my wedding festivities) along with heavily discounted accessories and handbags that make for great gifts for friends and family.

If you ask the majority of people why they work here, they'll tell you its the people. Its so imperative to work for a company (like BCBG) with people you enjoy seeing everyday - you spend more time with your co-workers than you do with your significant others, family, dogs, best friends so for me, BCBG feels like home. I have worked cross departmentally with upwards of 80 different divisions in the company and I have been thoroughly impressed by their willingness to take feedback, partner and I am grateful to their relationships as it has made my ability to support them as an HR Partner and Recruiter much easier. Our population treats Interns with respect, taking time to mentor, cultivate and grow students - many into full time hires for us.

The designs of our clothes are aspirational, beautiful and the quality of the garments is unlike any other women's contemporary brand out there. When I suit up for work, I feel like I can take on the world and that I am my best self every day.

The BCBG leadership in the HR department is family oriented- my first day on the job I found out my dad was having an emergency open heart procedure in another state and without question I was able to take the time I needed to work remote to be with him. At 9 months pregnant, I have been given as much time and accommodations as needed; doctors visits, day-care visits, follow-up appointments during pregnancy become excessive and I am appreciative to work for a company that will not penalize me for needing to come in late or leave early for prenatal care.

BCBG is a company I have been proud to tell people I work for. It has great brand recognition with a large majority of the population who are fashion literate. I will be forever grateful for the opportunities BCBG has given me to represent our company at Universities across the country, the mentor-ship I have received and the beautiful clothing I have been able to own at no additional cost. I have been given the opportunity to manage my own schedule, take ownership of projects and to establish a relationship with our new business managements.

As BCBG restructures, I respect our Interim CEO Marty Staff and the team from Alix Partners immensely - they were handed a overwhelmingly challenging financial hardship and are doing the best they can to reorganize the brand in a way that makes it profitable going forward. Should they be successful, I have faith that BCBG will come back stronger than ever and all the Con's listed below from past management will be addressed.

Cons

In the past 4 years, we've seen BCBG struggle due to mismanagement of funds by the Azria's and executive level management - which now has forced the company into Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Prior to Marty Staff's arrival, we saw very little communication from the top down and a very hush hush mentality when handling all internal matters. There was high turn over do to an old-school "devil wears prada" fashion mentality that has held the company back from retaining top talent in all areas of the business. Yearly reviews are not company wide and career development plans that are imperative for retention, morale and to acknowledge skillful employees who show promise to stay motivated and excited are not conducted until an employee exits the company. There's been little focus on overall company morale nor an interest in proactively addressing employee concerns at the store and corporate level due to the mismanagement of funds. Much of what has gone wrong with BCBG could have been avoided but unfortunately pride/ego/denial of BCBG's past leadership took priority over the overall financial health of the company.

Advice to Management

Invest in Career Development Plans; Management-Training at the Store and Corporate Level; act upon lower level employee's complaints about Upper Level Management - document and create an exit strategy for upper level executives who are have multiple offenses. Relocate Corporate to South Bay, Culver City or Pasadena allowing employees to have more opportunities for after-work bonding activities and more of a work culture. Invest in new hire on-boarding; protect the future of the company by nurturing relationships with the employees who survive the restructuring.

9. "Amazing People to Work With!"

I worked at BCBG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with an incredible team during my time here. The team wanted to give me the opportunity to grow and tackle new challenges, which they did. Many changes have occurred and management is making the effort to keep all associates in the loop.

Cons

Location of headquarters (Vernon) which is out of anyone's control.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job in keeping the employee population engaged and heard through all the changes within the business.

10. "My internship at BCBG in Los Angeles was a great success."

Former Employee - Planning and Allocation in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Planning and Allocation in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BCBG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros of this company was the helpful hands of all the employees and the fact that a lot of the departments overflowed into each other. It was nice to learn from each one and more. I was thrown into a lot, but loved every minute of it!

Cons

One of the cons here was that since the company is so big, the upper level employees are very busy all the time. This means they can be hard to get ahold of, but it's nice because others are eager to help!

Showing 83 of 1,127 reviews