BCD Travel Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BCD Travel President and CEO John Snyder
John Snyder

Pros
  • Most positions can work from home at least a couple of days a week (in 24 reviews)

• They also provide a good mixture of work/life balance as well as many opportunities for advancement (in 13 reviews)

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BCD Travel (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful seniors , and good managers

Cons

Some higher management are been partial

Advice to Management

Please select talent candidate

"Management is disconnected"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work remote, enjoyed global work environment

Cons

Teams work in silos. Minimal support from upper management. Disorganized.

"BCD"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Work from home options. Very good about promoting from within.

Cons

Lack of respect and trust from management. Monotonous work. Rarely receive acknowledgement of improvements or successes.

Advice to Management

Have more trust in your employees that they can do their job on their own. Also, show appreciation for those that go above and beyond.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work life balance is excellent
    Teleworking opportunities are common
    Travel discounts are great if you like traveling

Cons

Below average pay / Average benefits. Otherwise one two three four five six seven eight nine ten words extra to meet the minimum.

Advice to Management

Spend more on talent. Otherwise one two three four five six seven eight nine words extra to meet the minimum.

6. "Analyst"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BCD Travel as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. People generally have a great attitude and if you have a question they are more than willing to help.

Cons

The company is expanding rapidly yet it seems to lack in a sense of direction. They want to do one thing but end up doing another.

"Good Company, Stuck with BAD manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home flexibility, decent benefits, great people and opportunity to move around.

Cons

Honestly i just got stuck with a bad manager. If i didn't have a micro managing, job securing, overreacting manager my job would be awesome. I took a job a little lower because I was changing career paths and ended up with a manager who does not teach or quite possibly does not know how to manage.

"Tough Environment"

Former Employee - Long Term Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Long Term Planner in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The privilege of working from home cannot be understated. The ability to save money on gas, childcare (even though you technically aren't supposed to have kids around), and time is awesome.

Great teammates who are willing to step in and help out with any questions.

Potential discounts on travel.

Cons

As part of my career transition, I took a chance on BCD by accepting a lower-level analyst position with the idea that I would have the opportunity to learn quite a bit under my leadership team. Within a week, I knew I had made a mistake, but I felt obligated to give it a chance. Had it not been for the work-at-home benefit, I might have left within the first week. Needless to say, that set the tone for my tenure at BCD.

In terms of attitude, that place was a snake pit. I was assigned to an account where there was little cooperation between travel operations and workforce management. My manager had a contentious relationship with the client and vice versa. My manager wasn't particularly skilled when it came to WFM, but he was an extreme micro-manager who had a tendency to repeat himself and did not let up until a project was completed. Although I had obtained a great second job months earlier, I held on to my position at BCD as long as possible simply for the check. My stress level dropped to zero the day that I finally decided to leave.

DO NOT become accept a position as a Long Term Planner! I cannot stress this enough. If you're going to be a part of the WFM team, be a Short Term Forecaster or Real Time Analyst. Those teams have excellent managers and they are far more rewarding.

Advice to Management

Place a greater emphasis on relationship management. Some of the "leaders" there act like wild animals and have no business being in charge of a team.

Take the time to develop the skill set of your employees. IIf you are going to add additional workload, please consider increasing the compensation accordingly.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Mobile in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Mobile in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global environment and exposure to a wide variety of cultures and personalities, talented and smart leadership team, fun and interesting industry, recognize talent and promote accordingly, virtual working environment allows for good work/life balance, opportunity to travel

Cons

Way behind the curve on technology that could optimize their business, slow to change processes and thinking, way too much work but I guess it depends what group you're in, like any company

Advice to Management

None

"Senior Director - Supplier Relations"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Potential to be a great company - work from home flexibility, generally good co-workers, health care used to be good but no longer as of 2016

Cons

"leaders" of people at the departmental level who have no ability to develop, are micro managers and control freaks are not dealt with. The impact from their lack of ability bleeds across and into other area's, departments, other people's ability to get their jobs done and creates an poisoned atmosphere in the group. Micro-management and insecurity are at it's best in this group. In many cases this group tends to isolate itself from others but wants to impact all others in the same way and the lack of collaborative effort can be draining.

The lack of consistency along with tools to complete a job are disheartening. Their is little to no investment made in tools that could make this company great and push it over the top. Technology and BI tools are viewed warily but could enhance employee's jobs and the companies insight and capabilities tremendously yet the narrow focus put on them being controlled by one person who's view of everything comes from a single perspective does nothing to enhance capabilities for the company or employees.

The company too often chooses to believe how great everyone tells them they are yet continues to lose large multinational $40-$100M accounts.

Advice to Management

Just because people have good technical capabilities or skills does not mean they are suited to be leaders of people or in a role involved with relationships.

11. "Being comfortable kept me here so long."

Current Employee - Travel Consultant Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for the company going on 19 years. I've been fortunate to have landed on an corporate-onsite account that has offered longevity and an excellent work environment.

Cons

Although working on this particular corporate account I often had the feeling BCD didnt have any presence and the corporate client called all the shots. Well, that's not a huge issue but it was as if we worked for the client and not getting all the client benefits. I think management within our office only wants to keep you in the same position especially if you're good at your job. They block any room for upward movement and offer no assistance on training you to what could be a new opportunity.

Advice to Management

Aloof- is one word I would use to describe our management within our office. My definition of good manager is to hone in on an individual's skills and to suggest other areas within the company that would benefit both parties. To open the doors for other employees to display their abilities and not delegate or think one person is the glue that holds the office together.