BCD Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
BCD Travel President and CEO John Snyder
John Snyder

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most positions can work from home at least a couple of days a week (in 25 reviews)

• They also provide a good mixture of work/life balance as well as many opportunities for advancement (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimal support from upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Poor management, they blame upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. "Look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay flexible hours. Good benefits

Cons

They dont care about individual. High turnover lack of training. Of course some accounts may be better than others

Advice to Management

Take care of your valued employees.

2. "Travel Consultant"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay Compensation Above Average (speaking from one account only) , PTO & Vacation Allotments Generous, Virtual Agent Opportunities, Local Management Teams Tend To Be Supportive

Cons

Micromanagement Of Front Line Agents With Complete Upper Management Disconnect, Costly Health Insurance With No Company Funding & Poor Overall Benefits Package, Pay Compensation For Agent Positions Varies Drastically With No Known Company Standards, Lack Of Agent Schedule Input, Exhausting Call Center Atmosphere, Conflicting & Difficult To Understand Company Policies

Advice to Management

Engage the US BCD workforce more actively and provide an enhanced, partially company funded benefits package. Allow more agent feedback and less client interference with BCD policies. Standardize agent pay across the board so agents are not required to take pay cuts when moving to different accounts.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and being able to purchase vacation

Cons

Slim chance of advancing
    Pay is not great and raises do not cover cost of living, especially since insurance keeps rising.
    Two free tickets are not really free, plus no availability

Advice to Management

Give employees better raises and more chances for advancement

"Travel consultant"

Former Employee - International Travel Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - International Travel Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company, becoming micromanaging. Phoenix office has become a click.

Cons

Technology outways quailty time spent with customer. Room for advancement away from operations

Advice to Management

Qualify middle management better to be leaders and not power motivated.
    E

"Management disconnected"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

Management has no idea what the job involves, and is not concerned with employee's work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Try to remember your employee's have lives outside of work that are important.

"Sr Corporate Travel Consultant"

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

purchase vacation and the benefits are decent

Cons

They say 2 free airlines tickets per year but you must pay the taxes on each ticket so it is really not free per say

Advice to Management

training is not very good

"Senior Entertainment Agent"

Pros

Big organization, good salary, great opportunity to grow within the company

Cons

Bad management, overworked, too many hours overtime

"Tough Environment"

Former Employee - Long Term Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Long Term Planner in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The privilege of working from home cannot be understated. The ability to save money on gas, childcare (even though you technically aren't supposed to have kids around), and time is awesome.

Great teammates who are willing to step in and help out with any questions.

Potential discounts on travel.

Cons

As part of my career transition, I took a chance on BCD by accepting a lower-level analyst position with the idea that I would have the opportunity to learn quite a bit under my leadership team. Within a week, I knew I had made a mistake, but I felt obligated to give it a chance. Had it not been for the work-at-home benefit, I might have left within the first week. Needless to say, that set the tone for my tenure at BCD.

In terms of attitude, that place was a snake pit. I was assigned to an account where there was little cooperation between travel operations and workforce management. My manager had a contentious relationship with the client and vice versa. My manager wasn't particularly skilled when it came to WFM, but he was an extreme micro-manager who had a tendency to repeat himself and did not let up until a project was completed. Although I had obtained a great second job months earlier, I held on to my position at BCD as long as possible simply for the check. My stress level dropped to zero the day that I finally decided to leave.

DO NOT become accept a position as a Long Term Planner! I cannot stress this enough. If you're going to be a part of the WFM team, be a Short Term Forecaster or Real Time Analyst. Those teams have excellent managers and they are far more rewarding.

Advice to Management

Place a greater emphasis on relationship management. Some of the "leaders" there act like wild animals and have no business being in charge of a team.

Take the time to develop the skill set of your employees. IIf you are going to add additional workload, please consider increasing the compensation accordingly.

"Senior Director - Supplier Relations"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Potential to be a great company - work from home flexibility, generally good co-workers, health care used to be good but no longer as of 2016

Cons

"leaders" of people at the departmental level who have no ability to develop, are micro managers and control freaks are not dealt with. The impact from their lack of ability bleeds across and into other area's, departments, other people's ability to get their jobs done and creates an poisoned atmosphere in the group. Micro-management and insecurity are at it's best in this group. In many cases this group tends to isolate itself from others but wants to impact all others in the same way and the lack of collaborative effort can be draining.

The lack of consistency along with tools to complete a job are disheartening. Their is little to no investment made in tools that could make this company great and push it over the top. Technology and BI tools are viewed warily but could enhance employee's jobs and the companies insight and capabilities tremendously yet the narrow focus put on them being controlled by one person who's view of everything comes from a single perspective does nothing to enhance capabilities for the company or employees.

The company too often chooses to believe how great everyone tells them they are yet continues to lose large multinational $40-$100M accounts.

Advice to Management

Just because people have good technical capabilities or skills does not mean they are suited to be leaders of people or in a role involved with relationships.

"Travel Technology Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time

Pros

Great team with knowledgeable people. Always helping one another. Customer service is number one priority for both internal and external customers.

Cons

Manager not very helpful. Needed to go around Manager to get assistance for a problem or concern. At times very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who may have more knowledge then direct management. Better communication between management and employees would greatly help.