BCD Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BCD Travel President and CEO John Snyder
John Snyder

Pros
  • Most positions can work from home at least a couple of days a week (in 24 reviews)

• They also provide a good mixture of work/life balance as well as many opportunities for advancement (in 13 reviews)

Cons

"Sr Corporate Travel Consultant"

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

purchase vacation and the benefits are decent

Cons

They say 2 free airlines tickets per year but you must pay the taxes on each ticket so it is really not free per say

Advice to Management

training is not very good

"Senior Entertainment Agent"

Pros

Big organization, good salary, great opportunity to grow within the company

Cons

Bad management, overworked, too many hours overtime

"Tough Environment"

Former Employee - Long Term Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Long Term Planner in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The privilege of working from home cannot be understated. The ability to save money on gas, childcare (even though you technically aren't supposed to have kids around), and time is awesome.

Great teammates who are willing to step in and help out with any questions.

Potential discounts on travel.

Cons

As part of my career transition, I took a chance on BCD by accepting a lower-level analyst position with the idea that I would have the opportunity to learn quite a bit under my leadership team. Within a week, I knew I had made a mistake, but I felt obligated to give it a chance. Had it not been for the work-at-home benefit, I might have left within the first week. Needless to say, that set the tone for my tenure at BCD.

In terms of attitude, that place was a snake pit. I was assigned to an account where there was little cooperation between travel operations and workforce management. My manager had a contentious relationship with the client and vice versa. My manager wasn't particularly skilled when it came to WFM, but he was an extreme micro-manager who had a tendency to repeat himself and did not let up until a project was completed. Although I had obtained a great second job months earlier, I held on to my position at BCD as long as possible simply for the check. My stress level dropped to zero the day that I finally decided to leave.

DO NOT become accept a position as a Long Term Planner! I cannot stress this enough. If you're going to be a part of the WFM team, be a Short Term Forecaster or Real Time Analyst. Those teams have excellent managers and they are far more rewarding.

Advice to Management

Place a greater emphasis on relationship management. Some of the "leaders" there act like wild animals and have no business being in charge of a team.

Take the time to develop the skill set of your employees. IIf you are going to add additional workload, please consider increasing the compensation accordingly.

"Senior Director - Supplier Relations"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Potential to be a great company - work from home flexibility, generally good co-workers, health care used to be good but no longer as of 2016

Cons

"leaders" of people at the departmental level who have no ability to develop, are micro managers and control freaks are not dealt with. The impact from their lack of ability bleeds across and into other area's, departments, other people's ability to get their jobs done and creates an poisoned atmosphere in the group. Micro-management and insecurity are at it's best in this group. In many cases this group tends to isolate itself from others but wants to impact all others in the same way and the lack of collaborative effort can be draining.

The lack of consistency along with tools to complete a job are disheartening. Their is little to no investment made in tools that could make this company great and push it over the top. Technology and BI tools are viewed warily but could enhance employee's jobs and the companies insight and capabilities tremendously yet the narrow focus put on them being controlled by one person who's view of everything comes from a single perspective does nothing to enhance capabilities for the company or employees.

The company too often chooses to believe how great everyone tells them they are yet continues to lose large multinational $40-$100M accounts.

Advice to Management

Just because people have good technical capabilities or skills does not mean they are suited to be leaders of people or in a role involved with relationships.

"Travel Technology Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BCD Travel full-time

Pros

Great team with knowledgeable people. Always helping one another. Customer service is number one priority for both internal and external customers.

Cons

Manager not very helpful. Needed to go around Manager to get assistance for a problem or concern. At times very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who may have more knowledge then direct management. Better communication between management and employees would greatly help.

"Corporate Travel Agent"

Pros

Enjoyable work. Travel perks.

Cons

Very low pay. Call center. Hard to get time off.

Advice to Management

Happy employees create happy clients. Iron fist mentality turns career choice into just a job.

8. "BCD"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BCD Travel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home is the only pro. Somewhat flexible if you use your PTO wisely.

Cons

I beginning to believe all of BCD management shares the same value system which is numbers not employees. The only thing that matters is the client.

Advice to Management

No advice, BCD will not change. They are trained that way.

"Management does not lead by example"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time

Pros

The client is a good one

Cons

double standards are practiced, very little opportunity for advancment

Advice to Management

appreciate the dedication your staff has for the company

"Low pay, high workload"

I have been working at BCD Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most employees are very good to work with.

Cons

The organization is top heavy. Managers are not treated as managers, not allowed to make decisions, and are the dumping ground for the directors and VPs.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the advice that we're already giving you in person.

"Challenging Environment for a Virtual Employee"

Former Employee - Purchasing Manager/Meeting & Event Sourcing Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at BCD Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance and employee travel benefits.

Cons

The company lacks a combined culture. Movement between accounts is challenging limiting options to move up in the company. Human resources support is limited and they basically show you information once and expect you to remember everything from your new hire presentation. Healthcare deductible is high, 401k match is low. In my experience this company worked employees hard with limited resources and provided little support to virtual employees. It was a lonely unsupported experience.

Advice to Management

Provide Support to your Virtual Employees. Don't just leaving them stranded all alone.