BD Reviews in Durham, NC | Glassdoor

Vincent A. Forlenza
  1. "Professional"

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at BD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits and forward thinking company

Cons

Corporate Politics gets in the way sometimes

BD2013-01-28

"times they are a changin'"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at BD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great humanitarian mission, "nice" culture

Cons

slow to adapt, risk averse management, benefits quality declining, allergic to new technology, business models

Advice to Management

Try to improve on BD culture -- keep the "nice", but drop the sluggishness

BD2017-09-24
  3. "Project Coordinator"

Current Employee - Testing Operations Coordinator in Durham, NC

I have been working at BD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, room to move up in the ranks, great balance between work and personal life, friendly and well-connected work environment

Cons

Sometimes feels a bit chaotic and disorganized, lacks fitness and/or entertainment areas that other companies with large facilities have to help manage stress (though they do offer to help pay for gym memberships and healthy activities).

Advice to Management

Improve structure in certain departments, be a bit more strict towards employees not pulling their weight, improve the facility (RTP, NC site) to better promote good health

BD2017-06-05
  4. "analyst"

Current Employee - Consultant in Durham, NC

I have been working at BD for more than a year

Pros

pay , flextime, benefits, 401 k

Cons

it is none at the company

BD2016-11-17

"7 years at BD"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at BD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company, allows you to move around to different functions, divisions, and locations Good ethics Work life balance is decent (depending on your particular role) I enjoy the people I work with

Cons

Not the highest pay, but not the lowest Risk averse = slow to market on products Lots of turnover Headcount is hard to get, some departments are skeleton crews

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining and developing good people

BD2015-07-23

"Great Product Offering and creative talented employees; Very weak management."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at BD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meaningful work and results, producing products that save lives every day somewhere in the world. I thought there was good cross-functional teamwork evident, from manufacturing/warehouse employees with engineers, quality, scientists, regulatory, really across all of the teams in my plants. This was largely based on conscientious and creative employees who were willing to help, wanted to do the right thing and take personal...

Cons

Weak Management and leadership, more focused on blame, parochialism, and moving on to their next fluffy assignment. Poorly defined roles and responsibilities by management across teams creates gaps in ownership and disjointed nebulous business processes, where teams are working in grey areas far too often. Technology strategy is weak, 10+ years behind, not capable of reacting quickly to support an environment with frequent...

Advice to Management

Focus and invest $$ and more skilled and knowledgeable resource on Technology and a solid Corp Strategy. Focus on more clearly defined business processes definitions, with roles and responsibilities clearly defined at a line management level. Not sure that a major business transformation initiative is needed, more of just defining processes clearly, fine-tuning and leveraging best processes from the many WW plants and...

BD2014-12-19

"Used to be a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at BD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Previous senior management created an environment that retained talent and made you feel like you'd want to stay for a long time. Good health insurance but can be expensive Depending on where you work, some mid-level managers really do care I've learned a lot about process and company politics

Cons

Investing in current employees has decreased greatly Lots of outsourcing / off-shoring Company focus used to be on health care - now it's all about pleasing the stock holders

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing then expect the same quality of service

BD2014-09-25

"Don't believe a word they say"

Former Employee - Support Technician in Durham, NC

I worked at BD

Pros

Good health and prescription drug coverage. Decent pay when the 12 hr. rotating work schedule is factored into the pay equation.

Cons

Fundamental lack of respect and trust shown by middle management and HR toward the employees at the facility. HR recruiter tells lies about opportunities for advancement in the recruiting process.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people, treat them with respect, and get out of their way. People who are used to being decision makers don't need to call you in the middle of the night to take care of business. Let us do our job.

BD2012-02-22

"Good Intentions, Bad Execution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at BD

Pros

Corporate seems to have their stuff together. Pay is pretty good. There are SOME great people there. Good things in the pipeline.

Cons

Some of the new people (at least in 1 department) are incompetent, but somehow, manage to "think" they are untouchable.

Advice to Management

Pay closer to attention to what is going on at a lower level. Allow employees to review their bosses (360 review). The company has great potential, but a few bad apples can spoil the bunch.

BD2011-07-28

"the organization was downsizing within months after I was hired. I eventually was laid off."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at BD

Pros

You get paid and they provide benefits. Not as good as many other large companies but it's ok.

Cons

When you work for an organization that is in trouble people act strangly. When projects continue to be cut and no new ones are added, colleagues snap at each other and hide information. It's common there for people to believe that if they make someone else look bad they look good. It can be a very sad place to work, with the despiration that people may be losing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Management continued to threaten people that they would lose their jobs if... I think it may be that the manager felt threatened by his managment so he projected his this threat on those that reported to him, but it made the work environment unpleasent.

BD2011-07-12