The latest conversations about Accounting
What do staff want and what would make them happy? This is a serious question. I have been in public for 25 years. I swear I feel like a mom and therapist as much as a professional. I truly care about my staff. Treat then well, fight for them, invest in their futures. But the last few years it seems like nothing is enough. I am seriously considering early retirement because it is so emotionally draining on me. So many younger staff in here and all I see is complaints. Am I alone?
Got a burning question about BDO? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with BDO employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The people are for the most part really great and they make it less unbearable." (in 382 reviews)
- "Culture in the junior and mid ranks is good but doesn’t extend to senior team." (in 266 reviews)
- "Colleagues friendly and help each other" (in 265 reviews)
- "great teams to work on and gain exposure" (in 150 reviews)
- "Good benefits and flexible in summer and winter" (in 133 reviews)
- "Low salaries and not enough activity" (in 361 reviews)
- "No Work Life Balance and No OT fees" (in 246 reviews)
- "Being in audit also means sometimes you have to work long hours and not always get." (in 245 reviews)
- "Understaffed in lot of engagements and low pay" (in 233 reviews)
- "Late working hours and unpaid overtime hours" (in 193 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of BDO and is not affected by filters.
Found 5,371 of over 8K reviews
Updated Oct 1, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 3.0Oct 1, 2023Audit Data AnalystCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearLondon, England
Team is good and people try to help when they are not too busy. Career potential is good but also you get paid peanuts extra compared to the extra responsibilities and extra work.
Understaffed and although there have been new joiners, partners don't want to hire more people to ease the pressure. Being in audit also means sometimes you have to work long hours and not always get. Pay is below market rate and some very talented people have left the firm for a lot more money after around a year in the team.
- 1.0Sep 29, 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee
Social events and some of the colleagues I met
Pay was not competitive. I was paid less than newly-qualified accountants there despite having more experience. The whole pay grades are shrouded in secrecy. You could be the same level as someone but earning significantly less because there’s no transparency and management take advantage of that. I didn’t receive the exposure and experience I was expecting and don’t feel like I was remotely stretched or challenged. I would’ve been better going to a smaller firm and feel like I would’ve learnt a lot more. The manager group was terrible. I was borderline harassed by a manager and tried to bring it up diplomatically but nothing was ever done. I mentioned this in my exit interview and was informed changes would be made, but subsequently found out they’ve been put forward for a promotion. They massively value profits over people.
BDO Reviews FAQs
BDO has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 8,292 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at BDO to a friend and 64% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
71% of BDO employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated BDO 3.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.