BDO USA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
BDO USA CEO Wayne Berson
Wayne Berson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • So work/life balance can be challenging (in 36 reviews)

• You will always be busy and learn a lot of information while being an intern (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work life balance (Big 4 has better (in 47 reviews)

• Really long hours as expected with public accounting (in 77 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Assurance Senior in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assurance Senior in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a people environment and you really get a good exposure in various fields.

Cons

Many hours of work throughout the year.

2. "Audit Associate"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Orange, CA

I worked at BDO USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, environment, and great people.
    Great first job out of college

Cons

Hours are ridiculous. 60+ hour weeks.

Literally went into office on Saturday because we had "work" to do. All I did was get lunch for team

Advice to Management

Limit hours

Jul 17, 2017 – CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

We should never be showing up just to show up or order lunch...that's just not right and certainly not the BDO 'way'...a project management misstep there. Broadly we endeavor to provide for time to... More

3. "BDO Consulting a place that treats me right"

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Merrick, NY
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Merrick, NY

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rewards performers; unusually low turnover; high profile matters; good learning experiences ; the poor reviews I have read are aberrations. Accomplished professionals rarely leave BDOC and recruiting is robust. Yes. Low performers are held accountable.

Cons

Tend to work in specific departments; professional services is not a place to coast. If you are committed to professional services and the sacrifices that come with it, then BDOC mitigates many of the se cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate what it takes to succeed; allow us to work across groups

Jul 17, 2017 – CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

Great; so glad you are thriving; thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

4. "Tax Senior Accountant"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people/everyone is very friendly, can learn a lot, yearly national trainings out of town.

Cons

Very heavy hours (there are weeks you might hit 70, 80, 90, even 100 depending on level and need). Pay is not bad but also not great. Lack of experienced people in upper level positions, not everyone who is a manager is able to help getting work completed/knows what they are doing. New strategy of working 35 billable hours after busy season.

Advice to Management

You need to give people downtime, both to recover from busy season and to pass their CPA exams. At least in our office the need for experienced people is usually high, I feel it has lead to some questionable hiring decisions.

5. "Assurance Associate"

Former Employee - Assurance Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assurance Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at BDO USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed seeing companies both large and small including publicly traded ones. Friendly people who were more down to earth than those at the Big 4 in my opinion.

Cons

Long hours- very dependent on the office and the engagements you are put on.

6. "Great company to start your career..."

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good exit opportunity, supportive coworkers

Cons

Poor life work balance, too much politics going on

7. "Great Company, great people"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in New York, NY

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, flexibility, big clients, complex accounting issues to challenge you, promotions if you are up for it

Cons

Overtime if assigned to big client, difficult clients, work overload, understaffed engagement teams, high staff turnaround and inadequate training

Advice to Management

Invest on employee training, assign new staff properly to make sure they learn what they need to learn, do not worry about budget.

8. "Assurance Associate"

Former Employee - Assurance Associate in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Assurance Associate in Rosemont, IL

I worked at BDO USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Peers seemed nice and were willing to help the new guy

Cons

I was hired with no prior public accounting experience after spending two years in industry. I interviewed with an assurance partner and the lead partner of the firm. I made it clear to them that I had no prior public accounting, which both assured me was not a problem and that I would be taught.

When I started there, I was told I would get a "buddy" to ease my transition. Well, the person they assigned me with wasn't even in the office for my first week, so they had to scramble and get a replacement. The first two weeks consisted of me taking training exams. For the next three weeks, I had absolutely no work given to me. I asked frequently if there was something I could do and kept being told that there wasn't anything at the moment that they wanted a new hire to work on. Finally, my sixth week there I got to go on my first audit. I was looking forward to getting my review on the last day of my seventh week there, but that never happened as I was let go the day before.

When I tried to ask why this was happening and what I did to cause it, I got an HR response from the managing partner that "I wasn't a good fit". I didn't understand how that made any sense when I only have done one job and hadn't even gotten reviewed on how well I did.

I feel I wasted seven weeks of my life with this organization and got nothing from it. I was told that I would be taught the ways of public accounting and how to improve. Instead, I was thrown to the curb with no reason why.

Advice to Management

Give people an actual chance

9. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at BDO USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great network of office across the country. All working together to support on another. Great community building, not a better company in the industry.

Cons

I found little to complain about. I appreciate a clear hierarchy, though it removes some autonomy of an individual office.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing. Catch EY and take your place among the big four where you belong. You've got the infrastructure, you just need to grow.

Jun 14, 2017 – CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

Thanks for taking the time to share your positive comments! The growth continues!

"Upper Management needs a few lessons"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at BDO USA full-time

Pros

There are 5 partners that know what they are doing and are willing to teach so long as time permits.

Cons

Everything you can imagine:
    1) They hire people who are under qualified to high positions such as Managing Director/Sr. Manager. There is one in particular who knows nothing in tax and advertises being a partner.
    2) Pay is super, super low....so if you want to be able to pay your bills without racking up debt, stay far away! The workers who perform the work get very little, to nothing to show for their efforts in terms of higher compensation and bonus. As an example, manager salaries after the 2016 raises were in the mid 80K's range, and no, I am not making this up!
    3) Backstabbing is very high, so brace yourselves.

Advice to Management

You are doing great guys! Keep up the awesome work! 90% Turnover every 3-4 years is just part of the industry average!