BDO USA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
BDO USA CEO Wayne Berson
Wayne Berson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • So work/life balance can be challenging (in 36 reviews)

• You will always be busy and learn a lot of information while being an intern (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work life balance (Big 4 has better (in 47 reviews)

• Busy season hours are expected, however I worked less hours than when I worked at Big 4 (in 79 reviews)

"The best of both worlds"

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

It's a great place with lots of upward mobility. The management and associates mingle very often and it's a very family-oriented work environment. Plus it gives you the best of both worlds: "Big 4" exposure to public accounting while also minimizing the extensive travel and work hours. The local firms are too small in my opinion to get the full excitement, while in the Big 4 someone can end up auditing "cash" for weeks! This way even associates here can take part in a full audit with managers and partners.

Cons

Oftentimes the company name BDO is not recognized by others. Even though it's ranked as the top 10 accounting firms in the world, I often have to explain to others that BDO is an accounting firm that is very highly ranked.

Advice to Management

More organization in the scheduling and grouping of engagements.

2. "BDO, small enough to give you personal service, big enough to give you the expertise"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Dallas, TX

Pros

flexibility between work and personal life. Work life was a drag, people here care about each other and try to work with each other.

Cons

busy seasons would drive you insane but a lot of fun !!!!

Advice to Management

none :) they do a great job

"Great Place to Start!"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Great Pay and benefits, the company treats it's employees very well. You are able to move up if you exceed and the firm is quickly gaining on the big 4. As an intern, you mostly work directly under the main supervisors and shadow their activities and tasks. They pay excellent (pro-rate of full-time employee) and you are treated as an equal unlike some other large companies I have worked for in the past.

Cons

As with most large firms, hours can be long and work can be tedious, but otherwise no objections. Keep up the good work and let you're people continue to grow.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep trying to foster a supportive culture where people can advance in the company.

"BDO compares favorably to my former Big 4 firm"

Current Employee - Assurance Senior in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assurance Senior in Dallas, TX

Pros

I used to work in Big 4, and comparatively speaking, BDO works less hours and at a lower stress level...all while making the same in salary. There is a regional firm feel to my office, but I am getting experience at a national level. Flexibility is great, and the people are friendly. There are a lot of office activities to keep employees engaged. You don't feel like an anonymous face in the crowd like at Big 4. The relationship from the staff level to the partner level is dynamic. I feel comfortable enough to walk into a partner's office and shoot the bull with him or her for no reason.

Cons

The calibre of clients are not that of Big 4, both in diversification and quality. In my office, travel is more extensive than my previous firm.

Advice to Management

None

5. "Everybody should know BDO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Management cares and takes an interest in each employees career goals. Opportunities for advancement are all around but the individual needs to step up and exceed expectations.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of coordination between offices. Sharing staff for engagement closer to different offices would cut down on travel.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

6. "Great Company to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Miami, FL

Pros

Bdo offer great benefits, great group of professional

Cons

long hours, very low employee consideration

Advice to Management

have more events to involve employees

"BDO is A GREAT PLACE TO WORK."

Current Employee - Partner in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Partner in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

I can say that a lot of the managers enjoy working here. They also inform me that our staff enjoy working here as well, and that we offer many things that other public accounting firms do not.

- - You have the good fortune of working with some of the best people in the field. People here have basically written the tax law.
    - - There is no other firm experience that gives you the gold reference on your resume. BDO on your resume is a golden ticket to future work desserts.
    - - We offer flexible work schedule that fit your life. If the client work can accomodate it, our staff are able to work at home. We also offer work schedules that require less than the 55 hours - - even during tax season.
    - - We offer 5 weeks of vacation during your first year of employment.
    - - We offer some of the best live CPA continuing education classes in-house.
    - - We offer nutrious dinners for thos who choose to stay late.

Cons

I don't see any downside to working at BDO. If anything, I would think that our managers and staff would want to work more than what we require. I think we need to offer our managers and staff the ability to work on more varied client work.

Advice to Management

As a person who knows the management, I think they try hard to be the best.

8. "Great place to learn the ropes"

Former Employee - Core Tax Services Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Core Tax Services Intern in New York, NY

Pros

I received heavy exposure in the preparation of all tax returns (1040, 1041, 1065, 1120, 1120s). The tax group I worked in was decently sized, and I interfaced with all levels of the higher ups, from Tax Seniors to the lead partner of International Tax. The experience I received is highly transferrable, as I used a software system which is commonly used in all other accounting firms.

Cons

I worked during busy season, and was at the same time a full-time student. I am aware of how rigorous the busy season could be, but some Senior Managers expected me to miss my once a week night class to stay late. The turnover at BDO is high, but it seems like that’s similar to all other public accounting firms.

Advice to Management

Please keep in mind that the Interns are students first, and employees second, even during the busy season. School is more important.

9. "Small feel with the resources of the Big-4."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The size of the firm allows experience in multiple areas, and receiving recognition for the work you do. BDO has the resources of a large multinational firm with the feel of a smaller firm.

Cons

BDO focuses on middle market clients. Although this allows for a variety of work, you may miss out on some of the larger clients which would also offer valuable experience.

10. "Good firm to work for with great work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Flexibility of adjusting hours for family situations or events. My manager frequently insist I do a double take when I mention the kids. My family loves it that I get flexible hours for special times.

Cons

Managers sometimes not giving full recognition where it is due. Difficulty with getting salary bumps especially in the down economy in spite of pulling doubly hard.

Advice to Management

Focus on retention of prized staff as this will undoubtedly impact the firm when the tide turns. Not even attention or funding to educate the most deserving people.