BDS Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Mike Sunderland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay is good for the type of work" (in 11 reviews)

• "they're very good with flexible schedule, in terms of management their really great" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Turns out this was work given to full time employees because their hours were below the minimum necessary to keep their full time status" (in 15 reviews)

• "Everybody who is part time gets thier hours dropped every year" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Love it!!!!"

Current Employee - Field Technician/Lead Installer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Technician/Lead Installer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time

Pros

Great advancement, travel opportunities, laid back work environment.

Cons

Can't get a day off ... So i have no cons to report...lol

Advice to Management

Pay raises more frequently or at least update employee profile so proper pay advances occur in timely manner ... Update my file please

2. "Love My Job"

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training, Communication, Advancement Opportunities, Team Building

Cons

Hours, Last minute travel, not knowing what partner team is doing

3. "A Joke of a Company"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist II in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist II in North Kansas City, MO

I worked at BDS Marketing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Decent pay for my area, to their credit they did seem to take experience into account and were willing to do some negotiation.

-Flexible schedule (sometimes). No weekend work, and projects were able to be scheduled at one's own discretion and rearranged on the fly

Cons

-Wildly inconsistent schedule, far beyond the expectations set by recruiters/managers. You are likely to never know how much work you'll be doing more than a week ahead of time, and even then you might not even get all of your workload assigned until mid-way through the week, destroying whatever flexibility you might have had.

-Abysmal communication. Good luck getting in touch when something isn't directly needed from you. The company is quick to shower you with praise when you're helping to clean up their messes, but is virtually silent when all is well but you need their assistance. They will blow up your phone/email when projects are having issues, but if you need them, you will often go completely unheard.

-Upper management appears to have no idea what it's doing. They've been in business for years, yet have to scramble to make sure their full time employees have enough hours, and they do this by pulling work from part-timers with virtually no prior notice. On three separate occasions, I had half my workload disappear from my schedule with no communication from either my manager or the people above them. Turns out this was work given to full time employees because their hours were below the minimum necessary to keep their full time status. "Full time" is also defined as EXACTLY 40 hours, meaning this work would be given to them and then they would be pressured to work fast so as to avoid charging overtime. Because they consistently ignored obvious patterns in the workflow, and never seemed to have a grasp of anything more than two weeks in advance, it was consistently the case that full time workers in my area were pulling between 55 and 60 hours, while part timers got less than 10. Again, this is with NO communication, the work was just gone and the most I ever got was "sorry for the inconvenience".

-A necessarily antagonistic relationship. The relationship between these vendors and the stores they service is one that is always strained - the stores contracting with them would, if they could, get rid of them, and so work to undermine the ability for them to meet the promises made in their contracts. Projects would be scheduled too early, meaning materials had yet to arrive at stores to complete, and so it was often the case that again the flexible schedule was destroyed because now the entire 40+ hour week is crammed into the last three days (because the expectation was to get it all done that week). Many 4 and 5-day projects would come on thursdays or fridays, making it even more difficult because we weren't allowed to work at the stores over the weekend.

-Communication, again. Between managers there appeared to be no effort to inform new managers as to how their areas were arranged and who was employed within them. I had three different managers in a six month period, and virtually no information was shared from the departing manager, meaning I had to convince one of them of my actual position, and that the work assigned to me was actually mine.

-Accountability is basically non-existent. At least once a week I was made to do projects other reps had either failed to do or did incorrectly, and no effort was made to hold these reps accountable for what they were doing. I traveled to three other cities in order to make up for extremely bad hiring decisions, and because it takes MONTHS for them to be found out, this meant what should have been months' worth of work was having to be done in a few weeks. Training is worthless and management lacks the resources/time to send proper trainers out to make sure employees are actually able/willing to do the job.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to actually work in cooperation with those with whom you contract. Have accurate information as to when materials are being shipped and when to expect them in stores, so that projects can actually be assigned at times when they can actually be completed.

Get your hiring practices together, and create a real training process. Throwing new employees out into this kind of work with little more than a slipshod training video is ridiculous and it's no wonder they quit, steal, or cheat your time. You need people training people, and you need to seriously take the time to make sure the people you hire are actually able to do the job you've asked of them.

If you can't have a contract without making ridiculous promises for completion, maybe don't take the contract. Establish consistent lines of communication between management, reps, and upper management, so that an employee can actually feel somewhat supported. They do the work, they keep your company afloat, and you appear far more willing to treat them like expendable, replaceable parts than as people. You are their support, and for some their only means of income, take that seriously and quit this ridiculous, shortsighted behavior of leaving them in the dark as to their own workloads and project completion times. Get a handle on what your company actually does and start creating expectations that align with how the work actually flows.

4. "Not what it seemed"

Pros

Such a great team of people

Cons

The client, difficulty getting days off, Extremely long work hours

5. "flex f"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Bronx, NY

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time

Pros

you get the freedom of a outside sales job with out the dread of having to close a sale.

Cons

part time seasonal work depends on where you live to get good pay

6. "A TRUE REVIEW NO PERSONAL ATTACKS"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, constant work, complete training, clear directions, great managers, honest, upfront, fair, paid mileage and tolls.

Cons

Only seasonal work is plentiful, lots of driving, occasion issues with some tasks.

Advice to Management

Management has changed for the better.
    They need nothing....

"Poorly managed, complete inefficient"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at BDS Marketing full-time

Pros

Employees are nice, fun atmosphere, zero competence

Cons

Mismanagement of finance allocation, lack of understanding of true on-the-ground knowledge (to the point of recklessness), archaic ideas of people management.

Advice to Management

You should work on retaining talent, and developing future outlook for your top performers. Shallow perks are obviously placating weak attempts to hide your lack of real support.

8. "Mostly Chaos..."

Current Employee - Field ASR
    Current Employee - Field ASR

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule, training is pretty much they tell you a bunch of stuff in one or two online meetings/slide presentations, then send you out to do your job. Super friendly management and coworkers.

Cons

I just don't feel very trained and assignments are very short. No advancement within the company. took me almost 10 years to get any kind of bump in pay, since they pay per "project or client", it is like working for the same company, but starting from scratch each time you work. Almost like working for a temp agency, but even they give you benefits after working with them for so many hours.

Advice to Management

Look within to advance current employees, it isn't cool having new managers, every assignment that you can now do in your sleep, without even having the opportunity to advance.

"Lots of Training Videos to watch."

Pros

You can make your own schedule

Cons

Not sure yet. Crash course from training videos. Which they pay a set amount regardless of the time you put in. Some of their videos wouldn't run or got stuck in the middle and you don't get paid for your time trying to make your tech fit in all the different versions of training videos they produced over the years.

BDS Marketing Response

Jun 5, 2018 – Recruiting Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the experience you have had in regards to our training videos. We do pay for all applicable training time... More

"Ahh ok"

I worked at BDS Marketing full-time

Pros

Freedom for the most part

Cons

No chance to move up