BDS Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Mike Sunderland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay is good for the type of work" (in 11 reviews)

• "they're very good with flexible schedule, in terms of management their really great" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Turns out this was work given to full time employees because their hours were below the minimum necessary to keep their full time status" (in 15 reviews)

• "Everybody who is part time gets thier hours dropped every year" (in 12 reviews)

1. "A Great Place To Work"

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time

Pros

A supportive manager who is very responsive

Cons

I have no cons to report

"A Great Company with Lots of Opportunities"

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're looking for fantastic work / life balance, career development, a place to learn and grow, a truly authentic culture, and just a good feeling when you walk into work everyday, then BDS is the place for you.

Cons

The time, effort, and dedication it takes to grow and move up in the company may not be for everyone. It's not something that happens overnight.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people, innovating your tools and adding more resources - doing so will continue to make this a great place to work, and allow employees to thrive!

3. "Not bad but could be better"

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Irvine, CA

I worked at BDS Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allows for a good amount of autonomy in making decisions

Cons

Can be a little disjointed since corporate is fairly distanced from the work being done on the ground level.

4. "Good place to work."

Former Employee - Market Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Market Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BDS Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding work and you create your own schedule.

Cons

Their Insight BDS applications are horrible.

Advice to Management

Hire better software engineers to build your apps.

5. "Merchandiser"

Pros

They will try and keep you no matter what

Cons

Inconsistent you may have 5 hours one week the next have 50

6. "Good company"

Pros

Good at getting contracts and retaining existing , decent pay , flexible hrs

Cons

No room for growth

"Love My Job"

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training, Communication, Advancement Opportunities, Team Building

Cons

Hours, Last minute travel, not knowing what partner team is doing

"Love it!!!!"

Current Employee - Field Technician/Lead Installer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Technician/Lead Installer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time

Pros

Great advancement, travel opportunities, laid back work environment.

Cons

Can't get a day off ... So i have no cons to report...lol

Advice to Management

Pay raises more frequently or at least update employee profile so proper pay advances occur in timely manner ... Update my file please

"A Joke of a Company"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist II in North Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist II in North Kansas City, MO

I worked at BDS Marketing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Decent pay for my area, to their credit they did seem to take experience into account and were willing to do some negotiation.

-Flexible schedule (sometimes). No weekend work, and projects were able to be scheduled at one's own discretion and rearranged on the fly

Cons

-Wildly inconsistent schedule, far beyond the expectations set by recruiters/managers. You are likely to never know how much work you'll be doing more than a week ahead of time, and even then you might not even get all of your workload assigned until mid-way through the week, destroying whatever flexibility you might have had.

-Abysmal communication. Good luck getting in touch when something isn't directly needed from you. The company is quick to shower you with praise when you're helping to clean up their messes, but is virtually silent when all is well but you need their assistance. They will blow up your phone/email when projects are having issues, but if you need them, you will often go completely unheard.

-Upper management appears to have no idea what it's doing. They've been in business for years, yet have to scramble to make sure their full time employees have enough hours, and they do this by pulling work from part-timers with virtually no prior notice. On three separate occasions, I had half my workload disappear from my schedule with no communication from either my manager or the people above them. Turns out this was work given to full time employees because their hours were below the minimum necessary to keep their full time status. "Full time" is also defined as EXACTLY 40 hours, meaning this work would be given to them and then they would be pressured to work fast so as to avoid charging overtime. Because they consistently ignored obvious patterns in the workflow, and never seemed to have a grasp of anything more than two weeks in advance, it was consistently the case that full time workers in my area were pulling between 55 and 60 hours, while part timers got less than 10. Again, this is with NO communication, the work was just gone and the most I ever got was "sorry for the inconvenience".

-A necessarily antagonistic relationship. The relationship between these vendors and the stores they service is one that is always strained - the stores contracting with them would, if they could, get rid of them, and so work to undermine the ability for them to meet the promises made in their contracts. Projects would be scheduled too early, meaning materials had yet to arrive at stores to complete, and so it was often the case that again the flexible schedule was destroyed because now the entire 40+ hour week is crammed into the last three days (because the expectation was to get it all done that week). Many 4 and 5-day projects would come on thursdays or fridays, making it even more difficult because we weren't allowed to work at the stores over the weekend.

-Communication, again. Between managers there appeared to be no effort to inform new managers as to how their areas were arranged and who was employed within them. I had three different managers in a six month period, and virtually no information was shared from the departing manager, meaning I had to convince one of them of my actual position, and that the work assigned to me was actually mine.

-Accountability is basically non-existent. At least once a week I was made to do projects other reps had either failed to do or did incorrectly, and no effort was made to hold these reps accountable for what they were doing. I traveled to three other cities in order to make up for extremely bad hiring decisions, and because it takes MONTHS for them to be found out, this meant what should have been months' worth of work was having to be done in a few weeks. Training is worthless and management lacks the resources/time to send proper trainers out to make sure employees are actually able/willing to do the job.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to actually work in cooperation with those with whom you contract. Have accurate information as to when materials are being shipped and when to expect them in stores, so that projects can actually be assigned at times when they can actually be completed.

Get your hiring practices together, and create a real training process. Throwing new employees out into this kind of work with little more than a slipshod training video is ridiculous and it's no wonder they quit, steal, or cheat your time. You need people training people, and you need to seriously take the time to make sure the people you hire are actually able to do the job you've asked of them.

If you can't have a contract without making ridiculous promises for completion, maybe don't take the contract. Establish consistent lines of communication between management, reps, and upper management, so that an employee can actually feel somewhat supported. They do the work, they keep your company afloat, and you appear far more willing to treat them like expendable, replaceable parts than as people. You are their support, and for some their only means of income, take that seriously and quit this ridiculous, shortsighted behavior of leaving them in the dark as to their own workloads and project completion times. Get a handle on what your company actually does and start creating expectations that align with how the work actually flows.

10. "Not what it seemed"

Pros

Such a great team of people

Cons

The client, difficulty getting days off, Extremely long work hours