BDS Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Mike Sunderland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Well organize and the pay is good for the work performed (in 9 reviews)

• they're very good with flexible schedule, in terms of management their really great (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Will hire you as Part Time but expect you to work Full time Hours with NO benefits whatsoever (in 14 reviews)

• So this job is heavily automated, as a result the pay is low (in 7 reviews)

1. "BDS Marketing"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at BDS Marketing (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, flexible hours, great for someone who enjoys promoting products and meeting people.

Cons

There were no cons, very strait forward and no surprises

2. "Merchandising"

Former Employee - Merchandise Level2 in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Level2 in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BDS Marketing part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling you are the own boss in a way I loved this Job but ....

Cons

I done the Merchandise in Los Angels for Target and without notice they cancelled my schedule for Target reason I had to many call outs but the majority was a problem with This App that they have photos not uploading and they told me after 4 months hard work you are out this is what they do with you when you do some mistake that are not yours you are out absolutely a horrible company blaming on the field merchandiser
    The interesting part is that the Target PMT s liked me and the Manager from Target say the same they told my I work hard and great but this mean nothing to BDS they like to replace you with someone else
     After 4 years working with them no loyalty
    Everything you read here the negative ones are true they don't care about you no extra Money but working like crazy and exhausting especially the Target program but mistakes are not acceptable is interesting the Manager making some and no problem for them you are the bad person all the time you can listen this on the conference calls that they have 6 negative and 1 positive news for them and the 6 negative are for you.

Advice to Management

Treat you long term employer with respect and loyalty don't take the work a way just why your App is not working you blame the field merchantdiser or tell him when something is wrong Communication is key here
    Give the long term employe some extra dollars and not let them starving

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Merchandising Display Merchandiser in Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - Merchandising Display Merchandiser in Cumming, GA

I worked at BDS Marketing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great if you are technical and like to work with electronics. You meet and work with great people. I also had a good FOM and definitely overworked.

Cons

Forget trying to organize your schedule. This company launches projects the week of and expects you to drop everything. The admin time is far from what they allow. You can expect to spend at least double the amount they give hence lowering your hourly rate. Their reporting app is tedious and way too cumbersome for this age in technology.

Advice to Management

This company has a potential but is getting bogged down with a poor scheduling process and old school technology. Your team is spending too much time working schedules , tracking down information and reading call reports that are too unorganized and long.
    Create a user group with real users and revamp!!

4. "Corporate"

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time

Pros

Great place to work! I recommend to anyone who wants to have fun while they work.

Cons

Not too much to complain about here.

"Merchandising Specialist 2"

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time

Pros

Great part time job for entry level or retired. Flexible schedule, easy hours interesting , and constantly changing work. Support available by phone and is pretty good.

Cons

Never met the 4-5 managers I've had. Some were good at responding to e-mail questions some were abysmal. No hands on training...watch a video and just go for it. Some training videos don't even cover material needed. Errors in paperwork found in field and reported and seldom corrected. Mileage reimbursement is little more than half government allowed deduction. (35/54)

Advice to Management

spend some time one on one training at the beginning. Get FOM's to respond within 24 hrs to emails. React quickly to dissimilarities in call form and IC. Hold those who create call forms responsible for errors and their immediate correction. Don't post jobs for scheduling 4 days after start date and expect on time completion. Post call forms a few days before wave date so we can study up front. Actually listen to the complaints you receive on those survey forms you send out.

"Elite Merchandising Rep"

Former Employee - Elite Merchandising Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Elite Merchandising Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BDS Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and good people. My FOM was a great guy and very understanding about being overloaded with tasks and unrealistic goals. Somewhat flexible hours. No manager or boss looking over your shoulder

Cons

Absolutely unrealistic goals expected. I had the largest territory in So Cal (11 Target stores in the West San Fernando Valley). Was given 70 tasks to complete across all stores in 5 days which was just not humanly possible. I would knock down the number of tasks to around 30 only to have a whole new set assigned to me the next week bringing it back up to 60-70. Had to quit after a few months because of being physically exhausted from pushing 3-4 stores in one day. Call forms are too tedious and repetitive (would first ask who you checked in with and I would select PMT and give their name then when asked in following questions who can verify I would select PMT and would again have to type their name). Too much time taking too many pictures such as with the Bose Soundbar recovery I had to take a picture of the empty box, one of the box with soundbar display in the box, one of the box taped shut and another of the box sitting in the outgoing Fedex area in receiving. On the Samsung Brand Display refresh the call form asked if the box with parts was located and when answered yes had to take a picture of the box before opening it. Also the call form asked if I located the Lynx media player and again had to submit a picture of it. Now if I was able to complete the project and the picture I took of the entire display showed it was indeed completed and showed the new content playing on it then obviously I located the box of parts and the media player. Too many revisits for minor things. Spending too much time walking around massive backrooms with PMT trying to locate displays when first arriving at a store and PMT not even being aware that the display was suppose to be there or installed. Adjacency moves that were suppose to be done never getting done causing wasted time that could have been used to complete other tasks and causing more revisits. Was told when I interviewed for the job that I would only be maintaining and repairing displays. Once I was hired all I did was build displays which should have been done by Target employees so never had time to trouleshoot and repair current displays that needed attention. Overload of emails. Had 3 hours infield training with a lady who worked part time and only did Beats. The first store visit I did (and only actual troubleshooting call) I needed support from BDS support center and they couldn't give it to me claiming they had no info to troubleshoot (Direct TV tablet) and I needed to call the Target specific support line which the number is in the call form. Call form only had number for BDS support center so I called my FOM and he said he'll check. FOM calls back and said the Target support center was not active yet and to call back BDS support and tell them he insists they give me support. Called back and rep was very rude and nasty to me. Had to leave store with nothing done. The list goes on.

Advice to Management

Either split the larger territories like mine between 2 reps or stop assigning new tasks for an extra week or so to give rep a chance to get caught up. If you don't want to split territories then pair up reps so you have 2 reps at each store visit to get twice the tasks done in the same amount of time. Be more aggressive with Target about getting there end done (adjaceny moves, getting a BDS area in backroom..etc) so we can do our job.

"Good at First - Installer"

Current Employee - Installer
    Current Employee - Installer

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time

Pros

Never met my manager. "Freedom" to work your own schedule. They provide means for fuel and lodging.

Cons

They can/have/will hire anybody off the street. Will hire you as Part Time but expect you to work Full time Hours with NO benefits whatsoever. Managers will overwork the guys doing the heavy lifting but won't accept fault if deadlines aren't met due to demanding schedules and not enough installers ie. 15 installs to complete in 3 days when each install takes ~2 hours and each install is 1-3 hrs away from each other. Even if you worked all day, literally as in 20 hours, you're still not getting it done and you'll be in trouble for it. They'll give you counter excuses for why you should be able to get the job done even after explaining how impossible some schedules really are. Not to mention the dysfunction and disorganization between managers to add to the complexity of the schedules.

They tell you all the nice things before hiring you like being able to refuse certain work, "flexible" scheduling, "occasionally" work 40 hours a week, etc. When you're actually hired these things become less true, especially about refusing work. So if you plan on going home one night not so fast. Stay overnight in a city 4 hours away to get a job done tomorrow or else!

To top it off the pay is atrocious considering all the risk we go through: driving all over the place (sometime to only find out that the store is closed for business or managers gave you the wrong address due to the dysfunction mentioned earlier), holding heavy TVs or display hardware above your heads and possibly on a ladder doing so, risk of injury or even death. Seriously.

Advice to Management

The Installer position should practically be a full time position with benefits. Absurd how guys are expected to work 15+ hours a day to drive through multiple states or get disciplined for not working hard enough by their FOM. If you can't get enough guys out there to do the jobs then stop cramming the schedules with unrealistic deadlines! All that's ever talked about at the end of the day is profit this, profit that. Guys are literally working all day for this company and management that's hiding behind a keyboard still have the nerve to tell us to work harder. Wow.

You have genuinely good and talented workers who work to live, not live to work!

8. "Good entry-level job."

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time

Pros

The people were nice and they work in many different industries.

Cons

No real or defined career path.

9. "Field Tech Manager"

Current Employee - Field Tech Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Field Tech Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Losts of freedom, you are on you own most of the time

Cons

difficult to move up, no managers looking at your work so no feedback

Advice to Management

need better hours and better pay

10. "Entry Level Specialist - Corporate office"

I worked at BDS Marketing full-time

Pros

Great people, nice, wholehearted, love working there, been there for years. They have a lot of what they call "boomerangs" where people leave the company and come back b/c the grass wasn't as green. Salary but everyone works really hard and most stay late. Team environment is amazing, Hard work is rewarded. Can get promoted fast if you really want it. Easy to reach C-level executives, tons of treats/events from the party planning committee. They definitely try hard to keep employees happy.

Cons

Pay is not good, same with most marketing companies. Only get a raise if the entire company is doing well or if you get promoted. If you're on client teams, your job security is on the fence b/c if the company loses the client, you lose your job. A majority of the company's profits come from a few select clients so if they lose one client, the company is immediately doing poorly and no one gets a raise.

It's very cliquey, has a High school vibe b/c of a few select female managers gossiping. Director level and above make the most money, around 6 figures and above, while all lower level management and entry level make $40s - $60s.

Advice to Management

Adapt faster to the changing marketing world and start moving online faster otherwise you'll be out of business soon