BEHR Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BEHR President Jeffrey D. Filley
Jeffrey D. Filley

Pros
  • Promotes, encourages, and demands work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Behr is such a great company i enjoy the people and coming to work everyday (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management were blurred lines (in 4 reviews)

• Your success is tied to getting Home Depot to do what Behr wants them to do (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"They don't make 'em like this any more!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at BEHR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, growing company. Excellent management who genuinely care and operate our business ethically. Open door policy all the way to the top. Our Executive team is excellent and they do really care about maintaining the culture at Behr even through growth. There aren't many companies left like Behr, many people haven't worked anywhere else and are decades tenured. Most employees I work with treat this company like it's their own and are passionate about continuing to win. This is the type of company you work for if you appreciate stability and the job security (as much as there can be in this day and age).

Cons

If you are looking for quick career advancement you may not enjoy it at Behr. Although it does happen on occasion it's definitely not the standard.

Advice to Management

I appreciate your passion and commitment to maintaining the culture at Behr / Kilz. Thank you for all you do and continuing to drive this company forward. Keep up the great work!

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BEHR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Everyone is approachable at every level. Some of the most passionate people I've met work for Behr. Large company with a small company feel to it.

Cons

Must be highly driven and self motivated, otherwise you won't mesh well.

Advice to Management

Empower all your employees. Don't always follow industry trends. Continue to innovate in product offerings.

"honest review of what the company used to be and what it is now - from sales rep perspective"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at BEHR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company was founded on on some great principles and philosophies by some incredibly talented people. The brand has gone from relatively unknown to a name brand synonymous with excellence in 15-20 years. The compensation was pretty good, though I was a tenured employee, so I can't say if newer people are hired in as generously. While there are many pro's, the cons currently outweigh them in so many respects; so I'll say this, if you are looking for a job, it's not a bad place to work if you just want to collect a steady paycheck and don't put much thought into whether or not the tasks you are completing are worthwhile. However, if you are looking for a career to invest yourself in and will critically think about how your time is spent on initiatives that often have only smoke and mirrored effects on actual sales and productivity, the best they have to offer you now is a hollow shell of a company that used to be into that sort of thing. I'm not totally soured on them, I learned a lot of great things, met a lot of great people, but sadly it looks like Behr is destined to become another big company with no soul or distinguishable character. If you are cool with that, you'll probably be ok there.

Cons

When I started with the company, the position was entrepreneurial in nature and allowed a large degree of autonomy. The team worked hard and played hard and operated with a sense of family and tradition in just about everything. There was a specific focus and reinforced message to "do the right thing".

Your ingenuity and desire for hard work could allow you to create your own success and with it, handsome compensation and opportunity. However, these days it is a heavily micromanaged position run by incompetence from some of the highest levels and filtered through a much neutered and mostly useless middle-management team. These are not necessarily useless people, though some are, but its the position that has become increasingly irrelevant based on the micromanaged direction from above the past several years. Even the sales rep position has been marginalized from what it once was and holds far less weight and credibility inside of a once proud retail partnership.

I've met and talked with the former owner of the company, he retired many years ago, but came back to visit at an annual sales meeting to be honored and give a speech. It was immediately clear and easy to see how exactly Behr got to be a leader in the industry under his leadership and philosophy. His two sons now hold ranking positions in the company and to put it mildly, neither of them are their father.

In my opinion, they have no business in their current roles. Their whole lives have been with this one company, and in privileged standing as sons of the owner no less. They have little real-world, average-joe experiences to draw from and have just been allowed to poison it in so many areas with their ignorance, arrogance, and ego. The universe operates according to their limited views of it and they consistently change the flavor of the day based on some trend read in a business magazine, TED talk, or some expensive consulting firm study with all the clarity and detail of a reading from a psychic at the carnival.

In my opinion, the reports and findings from these consultants often look convincing on the surface, but once you start to think critically about how some of the conclusions are drawn and where exactly this data came from that these "facts" are based on, it often starts to wobble. Nevertheless, blind faith is given to these experts, so if you have an idea you want to sell about growing a business or disrupting a market, if it contains some trending buzzwords, there's a good chance they'll eat it up and run with it. These two brothers fancy themselves as slick salesmen, but they are buyer's all day long. It doesn't even have to be a good idea in my observable experience, since it doesn't appear either one of them have the humility to genuinely admit to a mistake, so its conceivable they could even double down on your next idea regardless of poor results.

In my opinion, morale in the company has been steadily declining over the past 5 years or so. This company became the force that it has because it attracted the right kind of people with the right kind of incentives and based on some solid principles and good leaders for much of its life. However, it has been steadily declining in all these areas and not only are they not attracting as many of the same type of top-tier people these days, they are also losing some incredible talent at the same time. I believe it's only a matter of time before the product and reputation begins to reflect all of these internally broken pieces.

In my opinion, much of the executive management has no business running anything at this level; many of them were in the right place at the right time in a growing company. Things moved so fast for so long, exploding growth masked much of the ineptitude these people had to offer, but now in more recent times that things have slowed and the company has matured, these lack of ability and judgement are much more apparent, but by now they have all promoted each other to a point where pretty much only the kid's are running the candy store. Some of them are good and capable people, hard workers, committed, passionate, and loyal to the brand; but they are in over their head or overruled by despotism.

Also in my opinion, much the ego that swarms in that corporate side of things never allows anyone to get out of their own way to objectively examine the merits of their initiatives and ideas. The worst part is that more often than not, they seem to have a conclusion they look to support with data, rather than examining data to find a conclusion.

I respect and love many of my former coworkers, and much of Behr is full of great and talented people that are successful in spite of their leadership, not because of it. Jeff the CEO is a down-to-earth kind of guy who is very approachable, but I don't know to what extent he really understands what goes on below him day to day. While this itself is kind of a problem, I have little doubt he genuinely respects the efforts and cares about his employee's. Though, this is less comforting knowing that some of the executives below him see them as resources on a board game they don't know how to play, will carelessly roll the dice knowing that even if they lose, they can just opt for a "do-over" because it's their game to set up with new pieces and play again.

So while I really believe Jeff Filley is a good guy, I suspect he places too much trust in his lieutenants.

Advice to Management

Go back to embrace the core values the company was founded on. Go back to "getting big for the right reasons". I've heard a lot of lip service from C and K over the years on some of these topics, and sometimes I believe they actually believe they are living it, but their actions don't reflect it. Go back to the philosophy of growing as a byproduct of doing the right thing instead of all the smoke and mirror gimmicks that as of my last access to the data, did not appear to work.

A lot of damage has been done, but it's not too late to fix it. There are still a lot of good people riding this thing out and hoping it gets better. While I couldn't find the patience to wait with them, there are many still there counting on someone turning this thing around. Stop spitting on a cupcake and presenting it as frosting; you hired a lot of smart people and In one breath you pride yourselves on this, yet in the next they are often treated as some robot army without the capability to see through BS when it's presented.

BEHR Response

Feb 20, 2017 – People Services Director

Thank you so much for your response. It’s true that our people are what make the difference here at Behr and we are committed to continuous improvement, especially in the area of leadership ... More

5. "Order Puller"

Former Employee - Order Puller in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Order Puller in Orlando, FL

I worked at BEHR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, good rate to start compared to similar jobs

Cons

If you work distribution it is really difficult to advance or improve.

6. "Supportive team"

I have been working at BEHR full-time

Pros

If you have a great management team, then it's a great place to work. Some of the managers are supportive but not all.

Cons

Pay is on the lower end. Most people start at Tech 1 even if you have a college degree (BS/BA)

7. "Territory Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Marietta, GA

I worked at BEHR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Work and Family balance.. Work on many Holidays

8. "Order Puller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at BEHR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedules
    Bonus every 90 days
    Benefits are okay

Cons

Workload can be exhausting
    Overtime you may gain back problems from the heavy lifting

9. "Meh"

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at BEHR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment in general. Sometimes flexible with hours. Great Co-Workers. Break room is well equipped and sensitive to the low rate of pay for the workers (.25 for drinks, free coffee and lunch items are mostly under $2).

Cons

Management scrutiny is unyielding. Lots of favoritism. You are constantly being reviewed by management and told what you are doing wrong, but without helpful comments for future performance. The reviews are NOT random as well. They will listen to your calls and unless you are a favored employee will rate you on your worst one. This is how they hire temp to perm during the seasonal season. They have great benefits if you are hired on, but as I said before only if you are one of the favored ones.

Advice to Management

Be more helpful when reviewing employees. Give constructive guidance and respect to the people that work under you. Remember that they are the ones who make you look good to upper management.

10. "Sorry to see you go!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

I worked at BEHR (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company still has some excellent talent.

Cons

Just not the same company.

"Specialist"

Pros

Great company to work for. Highly recommend

Cons

None. Great management and leaders