BFITS Reviews | Glassdoor

BFITS Reviews

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "More professional than most agencies"

Former Employee - English Program Teacher
    Former Employee - English Program Teacher

I worked at BFITS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You don't have to worry about working legally in Thailand, you'll get your work visa. You don't have to make a program from scratch, they have a system in place. Fewer "sketchy" teachers here than in other agencies. They were the most professional agency I worked with while I taught in Thailand. While I give them middling ratings in the reviews, teachers in Thailand will know that it's relatively high praise for a teaching agency.

Cons

Micromanagement. Annual raises were tiny. Expected to go into main Bangkok office during school holidays. Had to use an outdated, bug riddled piece of software to enter grades; however, you couldn't criticize the software as one of the management team owned it and received a fair chunk of money selling it to the agency.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage as much. Make your employees feel more valued. Use software that works. Think about

2. "Not a good company to work for"

Former Employee - Science Teacher/Maths Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Former Employee - Science Teacher/Maths Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)

Pros

The free coffee
    Sometimes they may allow you to arrive after 8 am
    You have assistant to help you

Cons

The unrealistic expectations of management
    The huge books you are expected to complete
    You can lose your job at any time
    All the kids have to is complain they "do not understand" and you are out
    They pile things one on top of each other, like the exams and a competition for all schools on the same day
    They do not like criticism
    You have no rights
    They fire you willy nilly
    The work and marking system is onerous. You are expected to put in marks for participation, classwork, homework, quizzes for every section and they then seperate it into core and supplemental. You would need a degree to understand the marking system.
    The lack of appreciation

Advice to Management

Get a life
    Stop the authoritarian attitude
    Treat people fairly

3. "Organized and truthful"

Current Employee - Science Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)

I have been working at BFITS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very detailed with the information they gave me before signing the contract. After I arrived, they introduced me around and I met with their work permit/visa department who were helpful in explaining what is required though it was a lot. Not their fault, just the way things are with Thai government rules.

Cons

Other than all the government visa requirements which is not their fault, none so far except for finding a place to live. The best places are not advertised on local websites so had to do a lot of walking around. The Thai staff was very nice helping interpret with the landlord since they didn't speak English.

Advice to Management

Great resources and nice plan for the course but maybe some more social events and advice on career advancement.

4. "Terrible experience. Avoid if possible."

Former Contractor - English Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Former Contractor - English Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)

I worked at BFITS as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and professional in their approach. Good benefits if you care to work for them for more than one year,

Cons

Poor management from top down, overpromise on compensation, bad communication with teachers. HR department won't help you with anything. Don't expect them to help you with your visa or anything related. You are required to be autonomous and be responsive when they need you to.

Advice to Management

Good job offer, but should reconsider communication with teachers Think about hiring competent / more dedicate HR employees.

5. "Great"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)

I have been working at BFITS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay on time, good workbooks.

Cons

No career development. No one to ask for in class help.

6. "Best agency I ever worked for in Thailand"

Former Employee - Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)

Pros

Excellent curriculum; laptop to use on the job allowed to take home; allowed to be flexible in presenting lessons; good insurance (BUPA); don't have to be in the school whole day - can leave when I'm done if all my planning and other work is finished. Students at St. Joseph Convent were very intelligent and highly conversant in English - I understand this is common at all the schools BFITS services.

Cons

Pay could have been a little higher, but all the Thailand schools are paying less these days, so I roll with it.

Advice to Management

Allow a teacher who has realized his flaws in personality to come back when he has returned to Thailand. I understand their desire to not rehire me, but i would have done anything to go back to my old job.