BGEA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William (Billy) F. Graham

1. "Administrative Staff"

I have been working at BGEA part-time

Pros

Incredible place to work alongside incredible people. Tremendous respect and work ethic. Everyone is on the same team and does their best to contribute and benefit one another.

Cons

Limited number of full-time positions.

Advice to Management

None-- I think they do a great job already.

2. "Family Business - Pure Favoritism"

I worked at BGEA part-time

Pros

A great place to work, most people are treated fairly. Friendly people to work with.

Cons

One of the BIGGEST cons about working at BGEA was that it is technically a 'family' owned business. Many individuals seeking full-time status are turned away and are told they are not available. Process of getting a full-time status can be very difficult, as well as HR department being hard and long-winded to deal with. Managers must thoroughly explain the need for an individual seeking full-time status, or they may not even be approved for a full-time status. I have also seen people who are close to F. Graham or the elite chief of staff get a full-time position that was specifically created for them, and not available to anyone else. Many employees were treated unfairly by the Graham children themselves, and a few unnamed people love to think they own the place and are very rude. You would expect more from a 'Christian' organization.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is not ethical in any workplace and should not be tolerated. Listen to lower-leveled employees who actually have something to do with decisions you are making.

3. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Asheville, NC

I worked at BGEA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Christian based non-profit organization that allows each employee to feel part of the team and the importance and value of every employee.

Cons

The dynamics of event driven work makes for uneven work flow which can result in added stress to accomplish everything that is expected.

Advice to Management

Continue to value staff; have wisdom in making decisions that affect all; and continue to expand your borders to increase and expand the purpose of the organization and remain true to the mission.

"Needs improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

They have great benefits and there are some great people there if you can find them. They also have an in-house dining area filled with great food, so you don't have to worry about going out at lunch.

Cons

Unfortunately, the length of time you have worked there means if you will be listened to. Being one of the few younger people in the building (under 30), I often was treated like a child. The standards that they hold a newer/younger person to are much higher to the standard of someone who has been there for a longer time. If I had anything to say about ways to connect with people, my ideas were never truly considered due to them not going with the tradition of the company. Because my personality didn't fit with some of the people in my department, they made up stories to take to management about me in hopes to get me fired or to leave. Finally, there was no where to move up to the next level in my position.

Advice to Management

Work to treat everyone equally and listen to all ideas. Don't assume that the younger they are the less they know or that everything people bring to you is true.

6. "Great staff"

Former Employee - Line Attendant in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Line Attendant in Asheville, NC

I worked at BGEA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the staff here, the ladies in the dining room are great and the manager over the dining room is absolutely fabulous!

Cons

High stress in kitchen settings sometimes. But that's to be expected in any kitchen setting.

"Christian Response Rep"

Former Employee - Christian Response Representative and Webmaster in Charlotte, NC

I worked at BGEA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great work environment, encouraging gospel-centered work, prayer, and family values. I worked with some great people too. The cafeteria was also an amazing blessing.

Cons

The upper-level leadership was seemingly unreachable. There was an odd "us & them" mentality. The CEO's controversial public statements often put employees in tough situations. There were few young people working in the organization. Tradition often triumphed creativity and ingenuity. Problems were rarely solved.

Advice to Management

Empower your lower level employees. Listen to what they have to say. Actually express interest in how your employees feel about the direction of the organization. You may be surprised by how many of the employees are cynical about the current direction.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at BGEA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's amazing to work for a company that continuously does the Lord's work. I have been here for less than 4 months but it has been amazing.

Cons

Unfortunately cannot move into a full time position.

Advice to Management

Try to offer more full time positions.

"OK Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at BGEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Great work-life balance.

Cons

No room for advancement. Moral among employees are low due to a lot of favoritism among departments which is . With this being a non profit Christian organization, it is no different than corporate America. You still have to deal with people being promoted based on who they know and not what they know to hold a position .

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Decisions are made by upper management that really negatively impact workflow of the employees. definitely brings down the moral of the employees. Lastly Be good stewards of what God has blessed BGEA.

"Great Job"

I have been working at BGEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-devotions
    -culture
    -opportunities to see God at work
    -Professional Development and Professional Enviroment

Cons

I do not use their benefits so I am not aware of any cons in that respect.

11. "I had a wonderful experience working for Billy Graham Evangelistic Association"

I worked at BGEA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Devotions and prayer each day

Cons

Upper management does really care about you