BGL Group Reviews in Peterborough, England | Glassdoor

BGL Group CEO Matthew Donaldson
Matthew Donaldson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is even a floor at head office reserved solely for senior management and specially invited guests (in 14 reviews)

• Old fashioned hierarchy which has no place in a modern digital business (in 5 reviews)

1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A fast paced exciting place to work with strong values. Many opportunities to move around the business to gain new skills and experience and further your career. Lots of fundraising and giving for those who are less fortunate in our communities, as well as international fundraising. Progressive place to work with all the latest tech. Good on site catering and a gym.

Cons

I cant think of any downsides, only positives

2. "Really vibrant workforce and work ethic!"

Former Employee - Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good management, amazing company ethic!

Cons

Nothing really to say, really good company!

Advice to Management

N/A

"Frustrated by poor management decisions and lack of opportunity to grow."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good quality subsided restaurant and cafe.
    Subsided gym.
    Good working environment.
    Plenty of parking.
    Working from home opportunities.
    Awards ball.
    Summer family fun day.
    Regular events.
    Some great, passionate people.

Cons

Many poor Senior Managers/Associate Directors who have been there too long and who don’t gain advice and feedback from the teams around them.
    Very old fashioned hierarchical staff structure. There is even a floor at head office reserved solely for senior management and specially invited guests.
    Appraisal process and learning opportunities are poor and inconsistent across the group.
    Promotion opportunities are few and far between. Too many ‘lifers’ blocking the way for the next generation.

Advice to Management

Lots of people have left in 2017. This is due to frustrations as to how we were working. There needs to be a senior management shake up with fresh ideas coming in. It’s no longer a fun and innovative place to work like it used to be. When new people did arrive there ideas appeared to be quickly dismissed by the old guard and they swiftly moved on to better things. Look closely at the Pulse survey and act on it.

Nov 3, 2017

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're pleased the benefits were of great value to you and we would like the opportunity to discuss your feedback further. Please can... More

4. "Chaotic, nepotistic, top down, waterfall."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience predominantly at comparethemarket.com but relevant to BGL

Work life balance is good, can leave early lots and work from home ad hoc, no real pressure as structure makes it easy to avoid responsibility. Real preference for code factory approach over agile working not following Dan Pink's Drive advice! .

Easy to duck under the radar and stay for years with no progression.

Salaries aren't bad, benefits ok, good kit.

Cons

Experience predominantly at comparethemarket.com but relevant to BGL

Really top down. Ideas from employees never reach top level without being hijacked and credited to a manager on the way up, which often means great people rarely get any recognition, there are plenty of levels of management too!

Technology stack is controlled and laid out years in advance with little scope to change or flex to accommodate developments or shifts in ideas. the platform teams are more concerned with over complicating and proving how clever they are than simplfying, developing and educating their teams real hidden passive aggressive almost bullying approach to degrading people deemed not in the right 'club'

Progression is restricted to those that don't question at all, which means teams become clones of the middle leadership real lack of diversity and willingness to innovate or support disruptive thinking

No acceptance or learning from large scale failure. Million £ projects canned after a year completely rewritten and presented as 'successes' despite then being in development for years. No lessons learnt no people changed.

Unfortunate deliberate move away from agile engaged employees towards 'jfdi' approach.

Advice to Management

New leadership with more varied experience would enable technology to open up its scope, increase flexibility and allow opportunity. Listen to the staff at the bottom..... Without asking layers of management to do it! Your asking the people causing the problem to find fault often with themselves knowing they will be held accountable!!...... The truth might be painful but it's honest. Don't make excuses as soon as something critical is found.

Be more open don't cancel communication meetings, listen and encourage open debate.

Be honest with yourselves. Outsource all development it would be cheaper and equally as efficient if not more so.

Nov 3, 2017

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback, we really appreciate it. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please can you contact us on... More

5. "Dead End Opportunity"

Former Employee - Universal Advisor in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Universal Advisor in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Parking
    Free Tea and Coffee
    Working alongside friendly people

Cons

Staff are recruited via agency for a period of 3 months and then discarded when they are due to move over to a BGL contract. The people I trained alongside on my our first day were all subsequently let go on the same day with a vague reason as to why we were not being kept on. Ok if you want some short term work but do not expect to build a career there.

Advice to Management

The direct management were always great . As a company I think BGL need to review their recruitment policy although appreciate the current format is probably more cost effective.

Nov 3, 2017

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please can you contact us on bglfeedback@bglgroup.co.uk

6. "manager"

I worked at BGL Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Takes care of their employees

Cons

Based in Peterborough, reduced exposure to rest of the industry

"Amazing benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A fantastic place to work if you are in the right team and department. Great benefits and excellent people.The awards balls are fabulous

Cons

Too many political players in high places that can strip the motivation out of a department very quickly which drives the wrong behaviours

Advice to Management

You are losing too many good people. Stop to look at who is going and actively seek their feedback

"a new start"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at BGL Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a company that cares. massive support network, free fruit. free hot drinks,world class training (10 days ) awards ball ( big suit and tie party held every 18 months. i haven't been yet but cant wait. friendly staff, and many more great benefits

Cons

as much as id like to think of one, or maybe two. i really cant think of any. ive only been with the company for 5 days. no cons are evident as of yet other than the work life balance. but thats the same with any full time job that pays this well

Advice to Management

just carry on

"Fantastic journey"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at BGL Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working premises and environment. Focused and determined people that celebrate success

Cons

None than I can share

Advice to Management

Always work hard to win hearts and minds

10. "Customer experience rep"

I worked at BGL Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free fruit free breakfast at weekends that's all

Cons

Rubbish managers
    Dreadful shifts
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Sort out the rubbish and lazy managers

Sep 6, 2017

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We'd like to discuss this further with you if you're happy to do so? Please get in touch with us on the following email... More