BH Media Group "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

BH Media Group Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated Jun 13, 2019

Found 128 reviews

2.0
Terry Kroeger
Pros
  • "Good benefits, vacation; The property I worked for allowed for work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "Pretty easy-going atmosphere, great people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "No raises, No bonus, lack of employee retention, parking is expensive(in 14 reviews)

• "They have not had cost of living raises in many years(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Production Manager"

I worked at BH Media Group full-time

Pros

Cons

Limited pay raises; too much management turnover

BH Media Group2018-01-15
    • "Outside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Marion, NC

I worked at BH Media Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment to work in as far as employees. Great training programs. Good benefits. Opportunity to move up the ladder. Regular goal checks to make sure everything was going according to the forcasted numbers.

Cons

I was in one of the smallest BH Media markets and it was very hard to pitch digital marketing programs to small buissness owners. Some customers had been mistreated by past employees so repeat buisness was not good.

Advice to Management

Lower the price of the product in print. If digital is the marketing future then make the value of digital rise in order to out weigh the urge to purchase print advertising.

BH Media Group2017-12-18

"Personal touch needed"

I worked at BH Media Group full-time

Pros

Great people at the local paper, very relaxed atmosphere, good benefits

Cons

No cost of living adjustments, no raises, pay and commission for sales staff needs to be more competitive, solicit more feedback from employees at local properties with eyes and ears in the local community.

Advice to Management

Times are tough in the industry, but you need to open the checkbook to attract high-quality sales talent if publications in struggling markets are to survive. New initiatives to make employees feel valued (productive ways for employees to provide feedback and feel listened to, performance-based salary raises and other initiatives to boost morale) are needed.

BH Media Group2017-04-08

"Editor"

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at BH Media Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has good benefits and is located in beautiful downtown Tulsa. Many of the employees have been employed at the Tulsa World for more than 20 years. There is opportunity to advance skills in writing, editing, interviewing and videos. There are also opportunities to cover interesting people and events within the area.

Cons

The pay is low and raises aren't given, even in years when the company makes a profit. In the year and a half that I was there, there were multiple layoffs and uncertainty among the ranks. It appears they may be laying off staff with higher salaries in favor of hiring recent college grads for lower salaries. There is an elitist culture that is hard to break through as a new employee.

Advice to Management

Management should back up their words with action. Stop adding additional responsibilities without increasing compensation. Also, please find a way to welcome incoming employees and treat those you lay off with respect.

BH Media Group2016-10-24

"Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Reporter in Florence, SC

I worked at BH Media Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and lots of freedom and encouragement from peers and management. Pretty flexible schedules, particularly with PTO days and such.

Cons

Upper management at the paper was limited by corporate. Corporate sets unrealistic expectations and does not understand the individual needs of each of its properties. Horrible pay and BH is very particular about overtime. As a reporter, I was paid hourly. For a portion of the time I worked at BH Media property, the paper was short staffed. It was nearly impossible to avoid overtime, but staff members often were reprimanded...

Advice to Management

Value your employees and understand the way the industry is changing. Employees must feel like there is room to grow or else they are not likely to stay. Place a larger emphasis on digital but understand that these numbers can be subjective.

BH Media Group2016-09-17

"Micromanagement/no raises/ I hate to say this,...read below....tragic outcome for 2 employees. :("

Former Employee - Imager in Bryan, TX

I worked at BH Media Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice co-workers. Water cooler. Good benefits. Microwave. Tv in break room, sometimes family comrade. Hear a new press is coming.

Cons

CAMERAS WATCHING U every place in the building. NO raises in many years throughout the company in Bryan. (Um, cost of living!)..Hellooooo!!! (Unless u R Maybe management.) Not to B blunt & harsh, but WHY would 2 people literally, "take their own lives", while working there within a year & a 1/2!!? 2 PEOPLE!!!!! Red flag. So Scary & sooooooooo SAD. WHY????? We miss y'all. R.I.P. guys. :(

Advice to Management

Cost of living= cost of living pay increases. Get with the times.

BH Media Group2016-10-15

BH Media Group Response

November 11, 2016Director of HR

We care about what all our employees and former employees have to say. However, since we’re in the business of reporting facts, we want to provide a few related to this post. Yes, we have security cameras at our facilities around the country. That’s for employee safety, which is ...

"Good starter job, but don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Copy Editor/Page Designer in Seneca, SC

I worked at BH Media Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, good benefits and you live in a nice area in Hickory.

Cons

Pay is very low. Hours will take their toll and you will work weekends.

Advice to Management

Offer up more raises to keep the best designers in house.

BH Media Group2016-05-09

"Great company"

Former Employee - Editor in Omaha, NE

I worked at BH Media Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Values workers and strives to keep abreast of new trends, technologies and strategies. Provides good benefits and regular training opportunities.

Cons

None in particular beyond pay increases being tied to revenue for workers with no direct influence on the revenue-generating side of the house.

BH Media Group2015-09-16

"Wonderful people, terrible management"

I have been working at BH Media Group full-time

Pros

Good entry-level experience, many wonderful coworkers, a supportive immediate manager, good benefits, vacation, sick days, holidays, health care, vision, dental, etc.

Cons

Terrible communication between departments, no consequences for negative managers or supervisors, mangers frequently crack down on overtime and decline raises but then take time off to play golf with other managers, many managers are hired based on friendship with management rather than on skill or experience, unsafe working conditions -- especially for second-shift employees leaving at late hours.

BH Media Group2015-08-26