BHP Billiton Reviews in Perth, Australia | Glassdoor

BHP Billiton Perth Reviews

Updated September 9, 2017

Perth, Australia Area (Australia)

3.5
BHP Billiton CEO Andrew Mackenzie
Andrew Mackenzie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are strong compared to peers (in 41 reviews)

• Flexible work schedules and work-life balance make it a positive atmosphere (in 39 reviews)

1. "Bricky's labourer"

Former Employee - Bricky's Labourer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Bricky's Labourer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just finished school, and I intend to attend University at some point in the near future. However I have worked before as a bricky's Labourer and I was quite good at it. the difference now is I would to ear and save money, while gaining an experience, and a qualification. on top of that I actually simply, just really want something like this because it feels right.

Cons

I can't really see any cons, in working hard everyday and learning something while saving money and gaining a certain kind of satisfaction from the independence I get from learning and helping myself by helping my career.

2. "Good company to work for."

Former Employee - Superintendent in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Superintendent in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Pros

Intelligent people, good level of autonomy and established business processes.

Cons

Change can be slow due to the size of the organisation however management is taking steps to improve this

Advice to Management

Help the organisation be more agile

3. "Good culture, non-competitive pay"

Current Employee - Production Specialist in Kwinana, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good safety culture and everyone is very polite
    Consistently breaking production records
    Good PTW prodecure, very safe considering massive spending cuts

Cons

Pay difference between people doing exact same job is massive! No room at all for career progression from a technician level.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers fairly and consistently

4. "Area Commissioning Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good remuneration and benefits. Good opportunities for career development.

Cons

Bureaucratic and slow, the company is always 1st to be 2nd.

"Changing for the Worse"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent remuneration and work with great people

Cons

Lacks leadership and integrity of leadership through the recent changes. It is not safe to speak up.

Advice to Management

Be honest with people when you do not have a plan and be honest why you are letting good people go relative to others.

6. "FIFO was difficult but an Excellent Company to work for..."

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time

Pros

I worked with some really great people, my views were listened to and i feel respected. The Salary and conditions was fantastic.

Cons

FIFO was tough but I was fotrunite to be on a 5:2 & 4:3 roster which helped with family life. The tough Pilbara summers can be difficult on the body if your not prepared.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any strong advice to give to the senior management, Jimmy Wilson was the guy in charge when I was working there and he was a very good leader who communicated his vision for the business very well

7. "A good company to work for, if you can jump through the right hoops without going crazy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at BHP Billiton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are usually well looked after and I believe there really is a culture of safety before production. A solid outlook with production going full steam ahead.

Cons

So much red tape that it can be a painful experience to achieve anything.
    Constant restructures / org changes that catch employees by surprise

8. "Good people"

Current Employee - Superintendent in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at BHP Billiton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company, lots of options to move around, lots of work but not highly pressured

Cons

Large company! Poor management communications. Lots of employers been around for a long time and stuck in their ways. Highly political at management levels

Advice to Management

List to the people you employ

9. "Satisfied"

I worked at BHP Billiton full-time

Pros

Really Great place to work, really enjoyed. Only moved on to explore a couple of different opportunities in the industry

Cons

No cons really. Everything was pretty good about the place. Would work here again if the opportunity presented ifself. Salary was not really up to industry standards

Advice to Management

No issues here. They promoted a work life balance. Not sure what else really happened behind the scenes, but overall they made the place a good place to work

"Not a smart learning organisation. Short term vision at expense of long term vision and wealth"

Former Employee - Manager in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at BHP Billiton (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Most of their assets are in lowest cost quartile.
    2. When they stuff up they have deep pockets and cash flow to survive.
    3. Some outstanding technical and operating professionals.
    4. Pay is reasonable without being outstanding (unless you are on Exco then it is like winning lotto).

Cons

1. Don't really value their people, especially experience. Do not learn from past mistakes.
    2. Make the same big strategic mistakes over and over again (e.g. Ravensthorpe, HBI, sell down of Coal, poor maintenance investment [e.g. Samarco], sale of assets for little value)
    3. Get into areas they don't understand (e.g. Potash, downstream processing, Gas) and then have to write-down massively when the market turns.
    4. Senior management have a short term timeframe 3- 5 years, and operate accordingly.
    5. Have got rid of (or allowed to leave) key experienced people. Promoted people who don't understand the consequences of their actions and have failed to learn from past mistakes.
    6. Pay lip service to safety and don't understand how to change the poor associated culture.

Advice to Management

1. Take a longer term view
    2. Stick to markets you know and re-invest in those.
    3. Get back experienced people that have left.
    4. Be authentic on safety culture. It's not just a process; it is getting each employee to take personal responsibility/accountability and be 'fearful for their own safety" every minute of every day.
    5. Buy distressed quality mining assets/companies NOW that fit in with lowest cost quartile.