BIS Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.6
BIS Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills Vince Cable
Vince Cable

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing Place to work"

Former Employee - Human Resources - Fast Strem, Secondments & Apprenticeships in London, England (UK)

I worked at BIS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at BEIS. The staff are really friendly and the team I worked in was really warm and friendly. My manager was really good and made me feel welcome. I joined BEIS from the Ex DECC side as was the only person in my team from that side of the organisation. The rest of my team were recruited from the Ex BIS side.

Cons

One of the downsides I would say is Salary. Turnover within the organisation is very high and I do not believe anything has yet be done to measure exactly why this is the case.

Advice to Management

Management need to start researching and benchmarking salaries across Civil Service!

2. "Law. What Law?"

Former Employee - Head of Accounting and Control in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head of Accounting and Control in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at BIS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For seven years I had a fantastic time. The work was hard but fair and the methodology behind the organisation was spot on. Fellow staff and senior management were supportive, challenging and prepared to listen and guide.

Cons

After the introduction of austerity the culture and values disappeared overnight. Bullying and discrimination by senior management (even as far as the minister and permanent secretary) became rife and in its attempts to get rid of percieved troublemakers / whistle blowers, breaking employment laws and procedures was not a hurdle (proven).

Advice to Management

You will easily recognise who I am and I have not forgotten my treatment by you. At the moment the employment laws will not support my challenge due to the changes made by the coalitition but a watching brief is continuing. You're policies were illegal and boarded on ageist and I can only hope to prove this eventually.

3. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Coventry, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Coventry, England (UK)

I worked at BIS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good promotion opportunities, salary and employee benefits

Cons

Regular restructuring and downsizing of civil service departments led to frequent redundancies

4. "Review"

I worked at BIS full-time

Pros

Conditions and four more word

Cons

Poor promotion and three more words one three ten ten. One two three four five six seven eight night ten.

Advice to Management

one two three

"Review"

Current Employee - Fast Streamer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Fast Streamer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BIS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with very smart and engaged people. There are good opportunities and a culture of up-skilling, with plenty of resources for training and development.

Cons

No real negatives have become apparent in my time here. There are the usual downsides to working in large open-plan offices.

Advice to Management

Continue with focus on personal development and reward of individual contribution

"It Could Be So Much Better"

Current Employee - Administrative Officer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BIS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great hours and flexibility; nice canteen; nice annual leave; super lifts, adorable stationery; basement conference centre with oodles of differently sized rooms; some supportive colleagues.

Cons

The Government cuts have hit hard. The three box appraisal system has undermined team morale. Individuality is no longer welcomed. Too many management consultants on large per diams.

Advice to Management

Please take the time to talk to (not at!) Your staff to determine how they really feel. Just because someone is aged fifty or above, it doesn't make them a burden to the organisation.

"Executive Officer"

Current Employee - Executive Officer in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Officer in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at BIS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good department with interesting and varied policy areas. Opportunities to be involved across different sectors.

Cons

Bad at allocating work loads. Can be slow and disheartning when projects cannot move forward.

Advice to Management

Make sure that future redundancies are made using a systematic approach.

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Civil Servant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Civil Servant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BIS part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues pleasant, ethos of adherence to change. Rewards and champions success. Great use of gender based equilibrium. Splendid coffee.

Cons

The Government cuts. Downsizing. Lack of opportunities for middle managers to go anywhere and fully utilise their skillset.

Advice to Management

Please carry on, you're amazing and we are happy that you lead by example.

"Good"

Former Employee - IT and Opreational Support Officer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT and Opreational Support Officer in London, England (UK)

Pros

Gained so many skills and experience working with top Civil Servants

Cons

Employees need to feel that they are important as well not just work and make the bosses look and feel good

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees!

"Enjoyed my time here but most of the staff were 'Male, pale and stale'"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at BIS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a really large department that covers lots of interesting areas including science, innovation, promoting growth etc.. Lots of interesting policy areas to work in, work-life balance was fine and it wasn't too bureaucratic for government.

Cons

It's not a very diverse department and there are a lot of people counting down the clock to retirement, lots of areas where more progress could be made with an injection of more smart, energetic staff.

Advice to Management

Better management including getting rid of the dead wood would improve the atmosphere and improve people's work ethic. There's a lot of presenteeism and a culture of ineffective management. Compared to other UK govt departments it feels very staid.