BJ's Restaurants Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Greg Trojan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, good money, and decent food (in 50 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule and good tips (in 38 reviews)

"Horrible!"

Former Employee - Hostess in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Hostess in San Bruno, CA

Pros

Good pay, look into restaurant life

Cons

People promoted before you, hours unpredictable, mean guests

2. "This place is like any other hi volume corporate restaurant."

Former Employee - To Go Counter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - To Go Counter in Houston, TX

Pros

The tips were fantastic, and the base pay is better than most restaurants.

Cons

Management only knows how to make the restaurant run smoothly during a rush. They know nothing of HR, and their interpersonal skills were lacking.

Advice to Management

Take an HR seminar.

3. "Never have I worked for such a unorganized, unprofessional company and their management."

Current Employee - Server in Mesquite, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Mesquite, TX

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Originally, when I started I loved all of the staff and I genuinely felt like we were a family. It was so awesome to go to work and just have a good time, not your typical "dramatic restaurant" atmosphere.
    Our sales were high, as well as tips!

Cons

Randomly one day I came in for a shift and I was told out GM was gone and our new one will be here in a month. No one knew that this was his first store he had managed. A month later we had all new management, excluding out AGM who has been there for a very long time.
    Along with this came the most stressful, unhappy, work environment I have ever been in, and the reason I believe that it is all so frustrating is that it could completely be avoided,

Advice to Management

I honestly can say I have never been more disappointed with any management. There is not one employee that knows 100% what is expected of them because, the rules change and are applied only to certain people at certain times. I also don't think I have ever felt as disrespected by a manager as I have working here.

4. "Working here does not pay your bills!"

Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only unique thing about this is restaurant is that they brew their own beers, ciders, and root beer. As far as food, they do make great pizza.

Cons

The kitchen is very small and not organized! There are so many items on the menu that the kitchen gets weeded on a daily basis. Ticket times are very long and mistakes are abundant. The manager cuts the floor so quickly that most of the time you go to work, you are cut after 2 tables.

Advice to Management

Try practicing fairness on a daily basis. Instead of scheduling the same employees for the closing stations or the bar tops, rotate sections to all employees. Also, don't cut the floor as soon as others walk in the front door, since it does not even pay for the gas to get to work. Add a tip out system so it is calculated on your cash out and not handed out to each bus boy, bartender, and food runner. This creates favorites and ones drinks or food is not priority unless you "pay' extra money to each support staff!

5. "Horrible, By far the worst Job I've ever had the nightmare of working."

Current Employee - Line Cook in West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Line Cook in West Covina, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to get fat off the greasy food.

Cons

West Covina BJ's has by far the worst management. Very unprofessional, biased and lack empathy/ consideration.

6. "Horrible Management."

Current Employee - Server in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Server in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The tips can be good when the kitchen doesn't take forever to get the food out.

Cons

Where do I start? The managers talk down to the staff, they are unapproachable and are impossible to find when you need them. Instead of taking responsibility for the problems in the restaurant, and fixing them..they blame the FOH employees.

Advice to Management

I have no problem with the company itself, but this location's management is the problem! Run some food, bus a table, just be there to help out. quit talking down to your staff. THEY are the ones that sell your brand, and make it so you get your bonus checks!

"NON PAYMENT OF MONEY OWED FOR HOURS DURING TRAINING!!!"

Former Employee - App/Salads in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - App/Salads in Florence, KY

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly customers, very nice area, close to highway, shopping,airport, major roadways

Cons

Way to much favoritism, telling some employees they cant wear certain things and allowing others to do so.

Advice to Management

I am owed 16 hours for training and was due for the money to go on the pay card that was issued to me so tell me what s up with that?? Is that how all your employees are treated if you would like I can post an ad in the local paper about the non payment....

"Worst company ever to work for!"

Former Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, team members, building, food

Cons

Culture, schedule, supervisor, hours, leadership team

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of peoples time. Do not require managers to work 60 plus hours a week.

"Not For The Faint Of Heart"

Former Employee - Hostess in Hurst, TX
    Former Employee - Hostess in Hurst, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Good Side:
    1. Depending on your particular job there (host, quality control, etc.), you get free food at the end of your shift. (the pizzas are really good!)
    2. You can pick up and release shifts on demand which means if you are in school or have something come up, you can ask around after releasing your shift on Hotschedules and have someone pick it up (provided its approved).
    3. If you keep your head down and put up with countless racial topics, defamatory remarks from management about other employees and guests, an unrealistic approach to doing your job (ex. If you are a server, you must greet 3 tables that have been sat at the same time within 2 minutes... etc.), favoritism (if you are good at all of this so far, you probably can become a favorite and fast), you will be able to enjoy all of the perks that BJ's provides, such as:
    i. Moving up the ranks
    ii. Indulging in lewd conversation with management
    iii. Having management behind you when you're wrong
    iv. Getting more shifts
    4. Guests. There will always be those mean people that come in, but there is always going to be that one person, at least, that is really nice and makes your day.
    There are many more pros or many less depending on personal experience.

Cons

The Bad Side:
    1. Favoritism
    2. Managers scheduling employees according to who they like; they try to cover it up with "Aces in their Places" but they make it very obvious that that isn't the case.
    3. Begin to become extremely wary of you when you let them know of certain racial, sexist, mean comments and conversations being thrown around by the employees.
    4. Once employees find out that you tried to get management to stop them from having these conversations, they will not like you.
    5. You realize, if you think outside of the box, that there is no room for positive change because it would cost too much money to replace all the bad apples.
    6. Management makes fun of the employees that call in sick; Management gives 'Reliable' pins to employees that come to work in the restaurant sick.
    There are many more but these are the basics.

Advice to Management

1. Instead of being extremely concerned with the well-being of your wallets in the form of bonuses and getting angry at servers for having to have food comp'd because it came out wrong, you probably should try to be respectful and understanding while getting to the bottom of why things aren't running smoothly.
    2. Quit talking bad about guests and employees. It doesn't matter if they're fat or rude or sick, try to practice what you preach about being professional...
    3. Lastly, you cannot breed professionalism without being professional.

"terrible"

Pros

busy restaurant at time s

Cons

horrible management
    no benefits or bonuses