BJC HealthCare Reviews | Glassdoor

BJC HealthCare President and CEO Steven H. Lipstein
Steven H. Lipstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is what BJC preaches but they do not practice it (in 7 reviews)

• There really are no cons that I am aware of to working here (in 7 reviews)

1. "HUGE MISTAKE!! HORRIBLE PEOPLE"

Former Employee - Senior HVAC Mechanic in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior HVAC Mechanic in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare full-time

Pros

"The Facilities and Engineering department at Barnes Jewish Hospital is a progressive, innovative department which stresses employee involvement, continued education/training and opportunities for advancement" ..... WHAT A PILE OF BS!!!!

this is a VERY closed shop type of environment. if you do not know anyone that works here when you're hired the people here ARE GOING TO REFUSE TO WORK WITH YOU -- YOU'LL BE EXPECTED TO DO EVERYTHING PERFECT AND TEACH YOURSELF -- MANAGEMENT KNOWS AND DOES NOT CARE ONE BIT.
    The maintenance departments here - are very much a social club for old men with delicate egos. If they think you have different political views or religious views than they do you will not survive here. These people are ANYTHING but professional.
    They treated me like an outsider who was taking food out of their children's mouths and wanted me gone. They tried to find things that i could NOT do so they could tell me i shouldn't be there - rather than worked with me so i could learn the job. And when it was hard for them to find things i couldn't do it seemed to anger them even more.
    If you have a job now I would recommend staying away from barnes jewish hospital maintenance departments unless you already know several people who work there. ...or unless you are already unemployed and have nothing to lose.

Cons

cons? .... huge turnover rate (for good reasons) horribly spastic/fits of anger from the supervisors.... small minded hateful coworkers. very unprofessional environment.

2. "Avoid this department"

Former Employee - Food Services in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Food Services in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed some of my coworkers and the patients. I like BJC, it was the management in my specific department that was the problem.

Cons

Management was terrible. They lied constantly, didn't communicate, and had zero clue as to what our job entailed. They didn't even know safety policies for their own department, and had no interest in finding out what they were when we asked. My manager threw me under the bus for refusing to violate a safety policy.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Hire people who know what they're doing when it comes to management.

3. "Rude Employees"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None I can think of at this time, management and employees do not care about anyone but themselves.

Cons

Rude, always looking for a reason to fire you. Guy I worked with got fired because he supposedly didn't look like he wanted to be there. Apparently he had a serious tooth infection, but instead of asking him, the just assumed and fired him. Treated us like 2nd rate human beings, though we were doing a ton of work for them, CHEAP.

Advice to Management

Actually talk and care about the people who are doing work for your company. Your management is ruining lives by jumping the gun and losing potentially great employees down the line.

4. "AWFUL"

I have been working at BJC HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My only pro is, I have a job.

Cons

Extreme micromanaging! Being told you can't speak to another coworker while your on the clock. Being tired being away from your desk, including going to the restroom or the copiers. Management treating their employees like children.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee when it comes to treatment by management.

"BJC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent facility to work in. In house bistro was excellent. The millennial group was fantastic to work with. Too many helper bees with fictional titles

Cons

Lots. Like all large corporations they have their problems, but who doesn't? A lot of arrogant people who prefer to manage by intimidation and fear.

Advice to Management

Let the millennial's assume the reins!

6. "The worst and prejudice against African Americans."

Current Employee - Microbiology Medical Technologist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Microbiology Medical Technologist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supposingly world wide known and on the cutting edge of technology.

Cons

The worst place to work to advance if you're African American.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging African American s and be fair when it comes to training educated and experienced African Americans.

7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Smart people that have a willingness to learn.

Cons

Poor leadership. Not smart directors

Don't know the technology ...rely on others to teach them on a daily basis. Bad decision makers!

8. "Project manager"

Pros

Not one to mention unless you like 24/7 no matter what you do

Cons

Complete confusion in the it department.

Advice to Management

Your directors are not qualified in it

"Great Starting Point in IT; Get Out Quick!"

Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IT will hire you as long as you will work for low pay it have a friend in management. If you're looking for s foot in the door, this is a great starting point as long as you get out or move up quickly.

Cons

HR takes roughly four months to complete the on-boarding process. One month to post the job, one month to collect applicants, one month to schedule and perform interviews, and the last month to complete the on onboarding process. This is an absolute embarrassment, and any high-skill employees will have already found employment elsewhere and started before they're even contacted about an interview with BJC.

IT annual raise is static across all employees and substantially lower than market rate. Positions titles are intentionally vague so that they can underpay skilled professionals.

IT management is more of a middle-school popularity contest than it is productive management. The vast majority of them have little-to-no knowledge on the subject, but will actively eliminate any employees who do understand the subject matter and show interest in moving into management.

IT management is allowed to verbally assault their teams with profanity, encourage a hostile work environment by pursuing retroactive disciplinary action on rules that are made up on the fly, and intentionally single-out and harass specific employees. If concerns are brought to HR, those concerns will be immediately forwarded to the management in question, who will immediately retaliate and terminate employee who raised concern.

Advice to Management

Change starts from the top and works down. When your mid-level management has nothing better to do than spend their entire day harassing single employees, it is time to question whether the position is needed.

When employees raise concerns to HR, ignoring the concerns and immediately firing the employee in retaliation is rarely the best course of action. At least ask yourself, "What if this is the truth?"

Thoroughly investigate management with high turnover rate. When a team with a historical 20% annual turnover rate suddenly jumps to 150% with a new manager, losing nearly all of its veteran players, and can't hold new employees for longer than a month, the problem probably isn't the individual team members.

10. "Great hospital but filled with toxic environment"

Pros

Top care for patients. Great people to work with. Tuition reimbursement available.

Cons

IT department needs a makeover. Extremely political. If you're going to micromanage with out there formulas for score cards great, but have decent and reliable data. Management is a joke and think twice before applying there. Bjc had one of the biggest lay offs and will cut you off regardless if you're a top performer. The support teams never do their part. Not all but some. The helpdesk seems to have to pickup for the slack. There's many teams and a huge lack of collaboration. They hire way too many folks that are not capable of the job. Higher management seems to switch constantly, which changes goals to a point of not being sustained. Great tools such as service now is not taken advantage of as it should.

Advice to Management

I am firm on advising all IT members should be listed as salary. Salary employees have no worries at all for the attendance policy. I worked there and would everyday see salary workers come in at 11 as opposed to their 730 shift and leave at one! That would be an everyday type of thing. Are you kidding me! Meanwhile, hourly is allotted 6 tardies /absences for a year.

Have you checked with making sure Boone IT employees get paid the same as St. Louis or are you still underpaying?

Take a look at quality once and a while. Might be worthwhile.