BJC HealthCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Steven H. Lipstein

1. "Rude Employees"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None I can think of at this time, management and employees do not care about anyone but themselves.

Cons

Rude, always looking for a reason to fire you. Guy I worked with got fired because he supposedly didn't look like he wanted to be there. Apparently he had a serious tooth infection, but instead of asking him, the just assumed and fired him. Treated us like 2nd rate human beings, though we were doing a ton of work for them, CHEAP.

Advice to Management

Actually talk and care about the people who are doing work for your company. Your management is ruining lives by jumping the gun and losing potentially great employees down the line.

"BJC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent facility to work in. In house bistro was excellent. The millennial group was fantastic to work with. Too many helper bees with fictional titles

Cons

Lots. Like all large corporations they have their problems, but who doesn't? A lot of arrogant people who prefer to manage by intimidation and fear.

Advice to Management

Let the millennial's assume the reins!

3. "The worst and prejudice against African Americans."

Current Employee - Microbiology Medical Technologist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Microbiology Medical Technologist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supposingly world wide known and on the cutting edge of technology.

Cons

The worst place to work to advance if you're African American.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging African American s and be fair when it comes to training educated and experienced African Americans.

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Smart people that have a willingness to learn.

Cons

Poor leadership. Not smart directors

Don't know the technology ...rely on others to teach them on a daily basis. Bad decision makers!

"Great Starting Point in IT; Get Out Quick!"

Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Support Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IT will hire you as long as you will work for low pay it have a friend in management. If you're looking for s foot in the door, this is a great starting point as long as you get out or move up quickly.

Cons

HR takes roughly four months to complete the on-boarding process. One month to post the job, one month to collect applicants, one month to schedule and perform interviews, and the last month to complete the on onboarding process. This is an absolute embarrassment, and any high-skill employees will have already found employment elsewhere and started before they're even contacted about an interview with BJC.

IT annual raise is static across all employees and substantially lower than market rate. Positions titles are intentionally vague so that they can underpay skilled professionals.

IT management is more of a middle-school popularity contest than it is productive management. The vast majority of them have little-to-no knowledge on the subject, but will actively eliminate any employees who do understand the subject matter and show interest in moving into management.

IT management is allowed to verbally assault their teams with profanity, encourage a hostile work environment by pursuing retroactive disciplinary action on rules that are made up on the fly, and intentionally single-out and harass specific employees. If concerns are brought to HR, those concerns will be immediately forwarded to the management in question, who will immediately retaliate and terminate employee who raised concern.

Advice to Management

Change starts from the top and works down. When your mid-level management has nothing better to do than spend their entire day harassing single employees, it is time to question whether the position is needed.

When employees raise concerns to HR, ignoring the concerns and immediately firing the employee in retaliation is rarely the best course of action. At least ask yourself, "What if this is the truth?"

Thoroughly investigate management with high turnover rate. When a team with a historical 20% annual turnover rate suddenly jumps to 150% with a new manager, losing nearly all of its veteran players, and can't hold new employees for longer than a month, the problem probably isn't the individual team members.

"Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster Groves, St. Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large healthcare system, good experience in the healthcare field

Cons

Highly unorganized HR department, difficult to advance within the organization, very little effort to promote from within the organization/develop their own talent.

Advice to Management

Work on developing the employees you already have, instead of constantly hiring from the outside.

8. "Phlebotomist"

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare full-time

Pros

Very nice staff at start.

Cons

Unorganized, understaffed always. Treat employees horribly.

Advice to Management

Start treating staff with respect, they might stay.

9. "Very poor management"

Former Employee - Credentialing Analyst II in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Credentialing Analyst II in Fenton, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, lunches catered on occasion, own office to work in.

Cons

Very poorly managed, toxic work environment, all employees hate it there, no training, will bad mouth former employees for leaving on references.

Advice to Management

Retire early and give a qualified manager the opportunity to run the department correctly.

"Very dissatisfied with management from top to bottom, not with my dismissal though."

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BJC HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I believed I was making a difference in people's lives everyday. From helping my co-workers, to working on a project for management, or saving somebody's life through information technology. I was very satisfied with the job!

Cons

Management looks out for themselves. Do not let "Healthcare" fool you, I worked there for many years then I was diagnosed with a disease late in my employment. After that management tore me down emotionally and drained my confidence terribly. They picked on me continuously by way of scheduling or just being outright mean, so I fell into deep depression and wanted to end my life. Fortunately it didn't come to that. With the help of my spouse, I was able to overcome my depression.
    I absolutely loved my job.. but often I felt like I was the only one who did. I could have retired in my 40's if I earned money for every time I had to listen to somebody complain about "the job". Not just co-workers, but management as well. I was actually told by the department manager that "everybody" at BJC complains, which I did not see as a positive outlook from a department head.

Advice to Management

Quit worrying about the bottom line so much and fix employee satisfaction. If your employees are happy, everything else will fall in line.

"A stepping stone to a real career"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Support Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Support Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at BJC HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great experience which looks good on a resume.
    -Good place to get a foot in the door.
    -If you know or fraternize with the right people, you can climb the ranks fast, regardless of actual IT knowledge.
    -Get paid to sit in meetings and socialize most of the day. Do maybe 15 minutes of actual work. You will not be held accountable.

Cons

-IS hiring process is all about internal politics. The result is a very large group of employees who have absolutely no idea how to do their job, and pass it on to more experienced and knowledgeable , but less compensated co workers.
    -Job titles mean nothing, and is just an excuse to pay employees less.
    -1.5% annual raise. No opportunity for a merit raise.
    -Zero accountability.
    -Easier to get a promotion by leaving company and then returning than it is to simply get a promotion.
    -Massive management structure with far too much overhead. No one actually knows who is responsible for what.

Advice to Management

-Get rid of the dead weight. The company is hemorrhaging money trying to continue to pay salaries of non-working analysts, senior analysts, and management.
    -Stop over-planning for projects to try and perfect them, and instead plan for elasticity in project planning to allow for change as time goes on.
    -Most management takes 2-3 hour lunch breaks and roams the office talking when they're not in meetings to discuss future meetings. This is a huge morale killer for those who are not making 6 figures to simply exist.