BJSS Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 9, 2019

4.3
Stuart Bullock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You will get to work on interesting projects for big clients" (in 7 reviews)

• "You get to work with some very good people, lots of expertise to pick up" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance also depends on the client, project, and project life-cycle stage" (in 4 reviews)

• "Others also seemed to suffer stress from working on client site effectively as a contractor on regular pay" (in 5 reviews)

"Good Job Experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at BJSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NYC Office:
    1. Ability to rotate between different clients over a multi-year period and gain experience with different codebases.
    2. Ability to learn new technologies.
    3. Great experience in technology in the finance space.
    4. It was little bit more diverse than some other small or medium-sized companies. I appreciated that.

Cons

1. The office when you are placed on the bench is not the best. But I heard they wiill be getting a new office that is much better.

Advice to Management

I had read a prior Glassdoor review that did not really enjoy his/her experience at the NYC office. Either management has learned from their mistakes or the reviews resulted from personal differences between Employee and Employer. Either way, I thought that management did a relatively good job during my tenure at the company.

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at BJSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office culture. The people here are great to work with and always willing to help out whenever you need it. BJSS also covers certification expenses. You learn a unique number of technologies based on the client you work for. Company lunches/outings are always fun. Very lenient/flexible starting hours!

Cons

Every now and then you are placed on the bench without working on a project so it gets boring during those times.

"Abuses employees"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at BJSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a good direct boss who served as a mentor.

Cons

Expected to work overtime, overtime mon-thurs did not mean you could work less friday, no working from home, often didn't have work for me, but when they did they overworked me and the client who we directly worked with literally yelled at us on a daily basis, and sick days were discouraged (was once yelled at for taking a sick day). I also got harassed and when I reported it, HR told me that women just get that and should accept it.

Advice to Management

Overtime should not be the norm. Allow working from home. Allow sick days. Treat your employees like people. Get a new and better HR which respects women.

BJSS Response

Mar 13, 2018 – BJSS

Thank you for your feedback. I’m truly sorry that you didn’t enjoy your time at BJSS. I’m also sorry that it’s taken a few days for me to respond, but the points you’ve raised are serious, and I... More

"Great idea - terrible execution in the US"

Pros

great resume building experience with some great clients

Cons

The leadership trinity in NYC cannot sell, scope or deliver their way out of a wet paper bag. When they fail to deliver - and they frequently do, they blame their subordinates. Not one competent person in the mix and the UK leadership trusts their poor judgment to a fault.

Advice to Management

Fire the NYC leadership

BJSS Response

May 26, 2017 – BJSS

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry your time at BJSS was not as you’d have hoped. Our US office has grown each year and is a profitable business with a great reputation with its clients . We... More

5. "Automation Tester"

I have been working at BJSS full-time

Pros

Learn a lot of technologies

Cons

Fast Paced (only a con if you can't handle it)

6. "Great"

I worked at BJSS full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Can't think of anything right now

"Dynamic company, growing fast, doing interesting projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at BJSS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BJSS doesn't tend to do run-of-the-mill IT projects - it builds solutions to complex problems and excels at it. Sometimes these are projects where other companies have previously failed.
    BJSS fundamentally believes that its services are as good as its people and hires accordingly. If you work at BJSS, you will be surrounded by very talented individuals and you will learn a lot.
    BJSS isn't just trying to put bums on client seats - it really wants to do a good job for its client and deliver value. This value delivery mindset permeates decision making in a positive way.
    BJSS lives and breathes Agile and readily embraces new technology and approaches.

Cons

BJSS' growth over the last couple of years has been spectacular. This brings pressures: some aspects of structures and processes are immature and are still catching up. The good news is that senior management recognise this and are trying to do something about it.

8. "Loads of opportunities if you want them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at BJSS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Full of seriously intelligent people to learn from with plenty of opportunities to move between disciplines (capabilities) if you’re prepared to take them and work hard. They will often promote internally rather than bring in new people to senior roles.

The summer party!

Cons

You can end up on some very challenging clients and it can feel like if you do a good job you’re ‘rewarded’ by being unable to move projects

Advice to Management

Make sure new people who do come into senior roles really get what made BJSS. Some of them seemed to lack the focus on the people and their wellbeing that those who have been around longer have

I rated Stuart neutral as he started the role about a month before I left so I can’t judge on that

9. "What it is like to work at BJSS"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Islington, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Islington, England (UK)

I have been working at BJSS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with very good technical people. Low level politics. Fair to client and employee

Cons

Expenses are a pain. Sometime difficult to staff project

10. "A great place to work"

I have been working at BJSS full-time

Pros

Management welcome new ideas and are keen to approve initiatives to make the office even better (i.e. team social nights, alternative snack options, lunch time boot camp). Everyone is keen to get involved and share their knowledge during Lunch & Learns.

It great to see a company that like to keep their staff informed with regular Town Halls, Lunch & Learns & Staff Updates – it’s also a good excuse for everyone to get together on a social level.

Cons

None that I can think of