BJSS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
BJSS Managing Director Glynn Robinson
Glynn Robinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You will get to work on interesting projects for big clients (in 6 reviews)

• They also organize frequent social events, which are always good fun (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • a lot of the time you'll have to work away from home too (in 3 reviews)

• Work/life balance also depends on the client, project, and project life-cycle stage (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent company, talented staff, interesting work"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at BJSS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented employees, great industry reputation. Interesting projects. Small company feel in an ever growing successful company. Company cares about their employees. Above average pay.

Cons

Not much autonomy around what projects you can work on (for most employees) but this is pretty standard. Some projects are demanding and extra hours are expected, again pretty standard!

2. "Automation Tester"

I have been working at BJSS full-time

Pros

Learn a lot of technologies

Cons

Fast Paced (only a con if you can't handle it)

"Great idea - terrible execution in the US"

Pros

great resume building experience with some great clients

Cons

The leadership trinity in NYC cannot sell, scope or deliver their way out of a wet paper bag. When they fail to deliver - and they frequently do, they blame their subordinates. Not one competent person in the mix and the UK leadership trusts their poor judgment to a fault.

Advice to Management

Fire the NYC leadership

BJSS Response

May 26, 2017 – BJSS

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry your time at BJSS was not as you’d have hoped. Our US office has grown each year and is a profitable business with a great reputation with its clients . We... More

"Business Journey Sometimes Slippery"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at BJSS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BJSS is full of smart people working in a friendly and helpful atmosphere. There are a fair number of opportunities to work with newer and exciting tech, and improving cross-pollination between projects. It still feels like a loose collective of geeks just getting stuff done and helping each other out. There are many opportunities to learn, though you will have to take the lead on learning. There is a forward-thinking approach to tech and working practices on many client projects and BJSS is often expected to lead the way and teach the client "what good looks like".

It has a good sense of community, with some exceptions. There is a decent social scene and the annual "Strategy Weekend" away is enjoyable and generous.

There is plenty of work to do, some of which is on prestigious projects, and the company appears to be in a good financial and sales position. Growth has been explosive over the last few years, after a long period of gradual increase.

Cons

It's consulting. Whether you like or dislike your time there depends largely on the client and their project. Some are good, but some are not. Changing projects is slow and you have very little real control over which project you end up on. Your new project could be worse than your current project. Work/life balance also depends on the client, project, and project life-cycle stage. There is also too much body shopping. Some projects feel like you're just a contractor working directly for the client and BJSS is playing at being an agency.

Everything revolves around chargeable time to the client, so off-project learning and internal BJSS projects are usually done outside of working hours, which can make progress slow. Even some senior management are expected to be doing chargeable work for clients for much of their time, which means management initiatives are often slow moving and poorly communicated.

BJSS has a conservative approach towards investment in the future, which contributes to its solid financial position, but can be frustrating. Don't expect to be showered in shiny tech, unless the client requires it. Most benefits are average at best.

While the sense of community is good overall, the newer regional offices find it difficult to maintain the same social activities. Regional offices can feel isolated from the "motherships" in Leeds and London, and some projects that are mostly done at the client's office can feel entirely disconnected from the company. Some social activities revolve a bit too much around drinking, and some of the longer-term consultants who have lived away from home for long periods have become a bit hard-bitten.

As BJSS has grown rapidly recently, it has been difficult to maintain hiring standards in some areas. Additionally, some newer hires have come from a more corporate, less freewheeling background than is traditional at BJSS, which, while understandable given the newer clients and general growth of the company, dilutes some of the BJSS "special sauce".

It's a small consulting firm that's growing up rapidly, but has not yet fully figured out how to be an effective large company. Management is aware of the difficulties and is trying to fix them, but it is slow going and some initiatives are working better than others.

Advice to Management

Keep the growth rate under control, and dedicate more time to day-to-day management of the company

5. "BJSS perfect place to work"

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at BJSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BJSS is a people and client focused company. They invest the right amount of time and effort into staff. They reward staff and look after their wellbeing. BJSS Management is engaged and aligned to the needs of the business

Cons

You have to put in the long hours sometimes, but its worth it in the long run.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work. Celebrate the things you are good at.

"Bad Eggs Ruin IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at BJSS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Strong technical capabilities spread across the company.

- The actual company itself gives the impression it cares about you.

- Recruitment process is strong.

- Projects are interesting.

- No "old guard" mentality present here, it's a forward thinking place, especially when it comes to technology.

- Good benefits such as the weekend away for the family, and the Christmas do is superb - none of this '1 free drink' nonsense you see at other companies.

- BJSS do Agile superbly, and their results speak for themselves.

- Broadly speaking, the team at BJSS are good people, and this is made evident by things they get involved in, such as initiatives to upskill local children from disadvantaged backgrounds.

- BJSS do projects well. Really well. The culture is good so when a new team is thrown together, you're more likely than not to be in with a group of bonafide geniuses, who are fun to work with and be around.

- The offices are a nice place to work - but you'll more often than not be on client site, which can vary from 'very nice' to 'a disgusting hellhole of an office'. Hit or miss here, but you do have the HQ to fall back to if it's really grim.

- There's not much red tape - if you need a tool to get a job done, you'll get said tool with little-to-no hassle.

Cons

- Long work hours if you're on client site, often with nightmarish commutes. You're not compensated for the huge life/work balance impact this creates.

- The pay isn't as great as a lot of these reviews seem to state, perhaps a better way of putting it is that SOME people's salaries are great, but if you've failed to negotiate a high starting salary then good luck improving that situation; it won't matter if you consistently put out superb work, earning the company thousands upon thousands of pounds. My salary is well below the industry average for my discipline, for example.

- It's a cliquey place. You will be judged on a personal opinion of you, NOT your performance. I cannot state this enough. I've seen friends of my capability lead on the fast track to success, despite the fact they are utterly dreadful at their jobs; and this has been at the expense of much more talented, more hard working colleagues.

My pros outweigh my cons, so why have I rated BJSS so low?

I can only review based on my own experience, which soured after my first year or so.

My life has been made miserable by a senior individual in the company for many, many months.

This has resulted in a slow degradation of my job satisfaction, and has begun to have an impact on my well being and mental health - often going home with my evenings and weekends ruined. I've lost a lot of sleep, started falling ill more often, lost motivation and have found myself desperate to get out. I'm currently looking for a new role as a result.

I believe the academic term for what I've been experiencing is "workplace bullying".

The cliquishness is a contributor here, senior people come across as a group of friends who are untouchable. This is evident by the fact this person has a widely known reputation for being an absolute nightmare to work with - and yet nothing has been done to address it. I'm curious to know if their colleagues at a capability lead level and above are even aware, due to this cliquishness.

My experience is also a great example - I have nobody to turn to in the company for help, as I know I'd just get shafted or become a pariah, and my career would take a huge hit. My only option is to grit my teeth and endure it until I find a new role, which I'm unlikely to enjoy as much in terms of quality of projects to work on, or talented colleagues to work with.

I guess if you're thinking of applying for a role here, you need to consider whether or not you want to try your luck - you may or may not be forced to endure the level of toxicity I've detailed above. It depends on your discipline. If you don't, you'll have a great time here. If you're seeing red flags early, get out and don't make the mistake I did and persevere, you'll be doing yourself a disservice and it will impact your personal life.

I've seen replies to reviews on here offering to reach out and have a confidential conversation on grievances like this - and I genuinely believe that comes from a good place. However, I would never be willing to do this, due to the reasons stated above. The fear has been successfully instilled by this tyrant.

Advice to Management

- At a director level, you have an almost flawless management style, approachable and friendly while still being suitably pragmatic. This is not the case below, at a capability lead level.

- Consider reviewing your staff salaries, as it currently stands it simply isn't fair, some people are paid vastly more than others in the same role. People at BJSS are very intelligent, and know it's going on.

- My current situation at work is a great example of the damage such a cliquey culture can have on people's lives - and it absolutely does exist at BJSS.

- Think of a way to improve the work/life balance of those required to suddenly have massive commutes for months at a time, there must be something BJSS can do to improve here.

- While you have decent 'soft' benefits such as the weekend away (which truly is great), BJSS is way behind the rest of the industry in terms of a benefits package, you risk missing potential talent here as you cannot compete right now.

BJSS Response

Dec 12, 2017 – BJSS

I was saddened to read your review. No-one’s job satisfaction should be marred by their interactions with one individual. It is fundamental to our culture that we treat each other with respect - I... More

"One of the best companies to work for in the north"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at BJSS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some of the best minds in software development in the North.
    - Intelligent and friendly colleagues.
    - Excellent social events, including a weekend away for the whole family.
    - Personal circumstances considered.
    - Open culture where one can directly raise a concern without being afraid of the consequences.
    - One of the very few companies which treats contractors fairly.
    - The list goes on.

I very rarely do any reviews but I felt compelled to do a review here after looking at some negative reviews recently. BJSS, by far, is the best company that I have worked at in UK. They are been very flexible in accommodating any personal requests, not just for myself but for a lot of other colleagues that I know personally during my time at BJSS. They never have forced me in 4 years to work long hours. It has been politely requested but never forced. So, I'm not sure where the last couple of reviews came in from.
    I have received help for a personal not related to work at all, and I've seen similar attitude towards all employees.

Cons

The only thing I felt was lacking at BJSS was a structured approach towards employee career progression.
    They do have safari accounts for employees and generally are happy to fund for any job related certification exam that employee wants to achieve, but I feel that BJSS can still do a lot more in this regard.

Advice to Management

- Invest more in employee career progression.
    - I was lucky to have an excellent line manager, but I feel that the line managers should be trained to ensure consistency.
    - The only reason I left was that I was consistently getting much better remuneration packages. That does not mean BJSS pay low. I think their salaries are higher than average. But I would still recommend doing a review to keep the rest of the bunch.

"Long hours and no work/life balance."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at BJSS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One great thing about BJSS is that you get to work on the latest technology stacks, this is mostly due to constant stream of new projects coming through the door and the company can sell themselves very well.

BJSS also run socials every so often which are completely paid for by the company, this is great if you've managed to stop working before 11pm.

Cons

Work/life balance here is none existent, you'll be expected to sell your life to BJSS so they can make as much money out of you as possible. Long days, working weekends etc... a lot of the time you'll have to work away from home too.

There's a lot of frustration between perm developers and contract developers as perms get pushed around constantly whereby contractors can do as they please.

"Good company with a great future"

I have been working at BJSS full-time

Pros

The company has a lot of very intelligent staff who all seem very welcoming and friendly.

Free breakfast!

The town halls and last friday of the month events are a nice touch.

Very generous referral fee if you know someone who wants to join.

From what I've experienced management have been very accommodating and have a genuine desire to help and make life better for both staff and clients.

Cons

There's a lack of diversity in terms of age and gender amongst staff which is a shame for a company with such good potential. In the past I've turned down job offers for such reasons and I imaging a lot of graduates, younger staff and women may feel the same.

I've heard a lot of sexism within the office.

The holiday allowance is well below the industry average.

Advice to Management

I think there should be a real concious effort to improve workplace diversity in all forms throughout the company, especially related to age and gender. I think as a result this will help cure the "quiet office" syndrome I have seen mentioned in other reviews and just make BJSS look like a much more compelling company to join.

It's something I know a lot of technology companies have been focussing on recently so there's plenty of case studies and success stories to look at.

"Hard to do well here"

I worked at BJSS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Large organisation so there's always someone to talk to who's not in your team, which is often helpful
    - Variety of projects (though moving projects is hard)
    - Good location for commuting

Cons

- Poor communication throughout the business. Important information doesn't seem to get through to the right people.
    - Lots of teams seem pretty broken because people are doing jobs they're not suited for.
    - Very few people are empowered to make changes so broken things stay broken.
    - Very hard to do good work because of the above problems.

Advice to Management

Make it as easy as possible for people to be great at what they do