BKD Reviews | Glassdoor

BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman
Ted Dickman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is not much support of work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• At times, long hours are necessary and schedules can be unpredictable (in 26 reviews)

1. "Review"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at BKD as an intern

Pros

They put you straight to work

Cons

they're not really transparent

"Unlike other CPA Firms"

Former Employee - Tax Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Tax Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The firm is small enough where it's an intimate setting. You get a lot of support from the senior managers (Porchia and Jeanette).

Cons

Low growth potential. No support from Partners. Lots of turnover. Very little work life balance available.

Advice to Management

Be more competitive in the public accounting arena. BKD has a very good rating in other locations. The Dallas office needs to listen to their employees' needs and wants in order to remain competitive.

Jun 5, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We'd like the support to be more widespread. Thank you for your feedback - we'll put it to good use!

3. "Meh"

I have been working at BKD full-time

Pros

There are opportunities to move forward with the Company

Cons

Lack of value for personnel, benefits are not great

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees

May 30, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We'd love to turn "meh" into "love"! We'll keep working to show how much we care about our employees.

"Dissapointment in the End"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great pay
    -Access to many resources
    -Many benefits
    -Many opportunities for career advancement within firm
    -Strong new employee training program

Cons

-No support in balancing work life & personal life
    -Extremely male dominated culture
    -No ethnic diversity; 95% of firm consisted of Caucasian personnel
    -Received minimal feedback on performance, when I did, it was negative
    -Always felt like I was bothering upper level management whenever I had questions
    -A lot of gossip about other employees
    -In general, very few employees (at all levels) were kind

Advice to Management

While management was extremely professional to clients and outsiders, they weren't so professional with internal staff. Remember to be patient with your employees and respect each one of them.

May 2, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We're sorry you didn't feel supported and that many of your fellow employees were unkind. We'll send this feedback along so we can better create a work environment that is welcoming, nurturing and... More

5. "Audit Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, didn't run into anyone that I had a hard time getting along with. Got feedback to me on a timely consistent basis, and provided good guidance and teaching. Provided Becker to associates studying for the CPA.

Cons

The managers I worked with seemed to be pulling longer weeks than what would normally be expected. The cause of this from what I understood from them is the lack of people staff in senior associate roles.
    I was told there wasn't enough work for me and was laid off along with a few other people. This was a firmwide layoff and is the second one in 4-5 years from what I understand from HR.
    They don't allow even one promotion if you don't have your CPA.
    My feeling was that the partners were overloading the managers with work to keep costs down.

Apr 24, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We do have wonderful people on our team. We appreciate your feedback and we'll look into that assessment.

"Grass in greener elsewhere"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment with plenty of opportunities for advancement if you seek them out and apply yourself. The firm has excellent resources available for your use to help advance your career. Those with experience were knowledgeable and seemed willing to teach if you were willing to learn.

Cons

Saw a lot of turnover during my tenure, partially due to the fact the firm pays below market value for positions lower than senior manager. Although not a big four, it sometimes feels like you are just a number, contradicting the recruiting pitch I received originally. Depending on your industry and office location, travel may be as high as 70% overnights (audit). For the amount of work you have, experience you obtain, and compensation you receive, I would recommend entry level candidates going Big 4 other than BKD. The feel of BKD is the longer you work there (or more experience you have), the greater benefits you will receive, which is why many partners/directors have come from different firms. This is reversed for lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. There is a stigma of "cheapness" that seems to follow in every aspect of the firm, whether that be; salary, carpooling requirements, expense reporting, time off, etc. Saying one thing and doing another once someone has committed to the firm is unethical.

Apr 24, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We want our team members to feel valued, and certainly more than just a number. Your feedback is appreciated as it helps us identify areas of growth so we can make BKD a better firm.

7. "BKD HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Pros

Great people to work with throughout the organization

Cons

National Office HR is not realistic or understands the business to promote positive growth.

Advice to Management

Take a careful look to may sure people are really adding value to the organization.

Apr 17, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We certainly appreciate your feedback. From our engagement surveys to reviews, we try to garner a better understanding for internal improvement at BKD.

"Admin staff are peons"

Former Employee - Administrative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Administrative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

Good location downtown, most of the Partners/accountants are nice, there was usually free snacks (lol)

Cons

HR incompetent/doesn't care, poor managers aren't berated for HR complaints/being bullies, salary significantly less than identical job I took at a similar company, the attitude around the office to me is that no one except CPAs matter

Advice to Management

Listen to employees' complaints. If the sole reason an employee is leaving a company is because their manager is a bully, maybe that manager should face some consequences. Change up your Marketing strategy - the same events year after year is pretty lame and boring.

Apr 3, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Your thoughts are valued. We appreciate the time you took to offer us this feedback so we can improve. We'll pass along your feedback and work to make BKD a great firm for everyone.

9. "Poorly Structured"

Current Intern - Tax Intern
    Current Intern - Tax Intern

I have been working at BKD as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, and good hours.

Cons

Work environment was awful, possibly hostile.

Advice to Management

Try not to be so unfriendly.

10. "BKD"

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Resources, Size, Client Base

Cons

People, Pressure, Clicks, Hours, Travel

Jan 30, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We appreciate any feedback we can get. Please let us know if there are any additional ways we can improve!