BKD Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman
Ted Dickman

Pros
Cons
  • Can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance but think this is also typical of most public accounting firms (in 13 reviews)

• At times, long hours are necessary and schedules can be unpredictable (in 24 reviews)

1. "Potential interns beware"

Former Intern - Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at BKD as an intern

Pros

Everybody is really nice and works together to get the job done

Cons

During the intern training and recruiting we are told that they only hire interns that they have places for. Basically you will be offered a full time position as long as you do a good job. This spring they offered positions to at most half of the interns. I 2 really good evaluations and during the exit interview was told that I was a really good worker but that I was not being offered a position due to staffing issues.which tells me they never intended to hire all of the interns.

Advice to Management

Just be honest,I got other offers but chose this company because I liked the culture and was told multiple times that if you got the internship you basically had a job offer, and that is not true.

Apr 24, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We're sorry the opportunity didn't work out. While we do try hard to retain many of our wonderful interns, it's unfortunately not always the case. We'll take your feedback and use it to improve on ... More

2. "Auditor"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning and Development above standards. Opportunity to be involved in different projects in different industries. The people I work with are so very helpful. They want you to succeed because if you know what you're doing, that means no one else has to redo that work. So it's a win win.

Cons

BKD is not a company that will pay you. Their pay is well below market. It hurts me to say this but I'll be looking for a better paying job before the year runs out. As an example, according to Glassdoor, I'm being paid $16,000 less!
    Also, there's no 401K match. They'll give you 5% profit sharing at the end of the year though.

Advice to Management

Pay employees based on market rate and the value they're bringing to the table. Low ball offers will just translate to high turnover especially during busy season as there won't be anything to motivate employees, and why burn yourself out when you're not being paid what you're worth. Money is a very high motivator.
    Also, check your 401K match.
    Keep up the great work with trainings. Thanks for the snacks. I just wish they could offer healthier options in terms of the chips.

Apr 10, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. You make a good point and we want BKDers to know they're valued. We'll be passing this along and we encourage you to discuss this topic during ... More

3. "Business Development Executive"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Fishers, IN

I worked at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are a hands-off firm, in other words - they let you self-empower and run your own territory within certain parameters

Cons

Not a lot of support firm-wide

Advice to Management

Consider investing more in growth and internal resources for business development

Feb 10, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We hear you loud and clear! That trust and empowerment works if you've got the support and resources to back it up - and that's something we're investing in to help BKDers make a difference. ... More

5. "Some Good, Some Bad"

Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Denver, CO

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

Practically all of the CPAs I worked with were highly competent, pleasant, trustworthy and professional. I loved having them as coworkers and was proud to work at BKD.

Cons

The admin department (where I worked) was another story. Most of the admins were good coworkers; however, there were also a couple of people who went out of their way to be rude and would beg to be put in charge of something and blame their coworkers when they failed. Pro tip: save emails and PMs and send them to HR in Springfield when the crud hits the fan.

Advice to Management

Where possible, admins should be supervised by the people they work for. Leaders need to inspire trust and confidence in the people who work for them; gossiping, micromanaging, kissing up and kicking down doesn't inspire that. I've worked at a number of places where the boss hired a random friend as a manager, and I've never, ever seen it work. I have seen it destroy morale and drive out good employees.

"Average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

Very organized, good culture.

Cons

Lots of responsibility for little pay.

7. "Overall it was an okay job."

Former Employee - Audit in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Audit in Denver, CO

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

Great experience and knowledge learned. The knowledge gained will get you far in your career. Great opportunity to meet a lot of people in different companies which expands your network.

Cons

The environment was mediocre therefore it made it pretty hard to get through the days. Travel also isn't as glamorous as it sounds. All conference rooms look the same regardless of what state you're in. If you're traveling for work, you're definitely not out having fun.

Advice to Management

Work on the fun at the workplace. Pay higher wages. When you brake down your hourly, you make more as a bartender.

"Decent"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience in different industries
    Mostly awesome people
    Great Office location in Galleria

Cons

Training was poor
    Performance feedback was not timely and often lacking.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your in-charges as thoroughly as the staff, and stress timely/productive feedback on performance.

9. "Staff Accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Less hours then the big 4. Fairly relaxed culture. Large office with a lot of practicing areas. Firm growing into new markets (Denver & Chicago)

Cons

Long hours. Unorganized clients. Relatively far commutes required before the given the option to overnight.

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Springfield, MO

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are nice and easy to get along with. Also, easy access to excellent technology, resources, training and CPE opportunities.

Cons

Salary is low for the amount of work you do, no 401k match, and no bonus program. Also there is a clique- if you're in it your golden, if not you have to work twice as hard to get the same recognition.

Advice to Management

Implement some type of bonus program. The base pay is fair for the area, but raises are small and there is no bonus potential. The economy is up, revenues are improving-- let some of those financial rewards flow to the people putting in the extra hours.

"I learned a lot in spite of the company not investing much in my personal progress."

Former Employee - Tax Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Tax Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses are awarded for passing your CPA exam and you are in the heart of downtown Indianapolis, so there are many dining options in walking distance. Some flexibility in work hours during non-peak season. IT is fantastic.

Cons

You have to pay for your own parking at least a block away from the office. Earning your CPA is prioritized but you're given no time to earn it. Typical public accounting firm in that they burn out employees at every level all the time. HR was not helpful in any way.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the reasons that employees cite for leaving the company. My feedback went straight into a folder in some file cabinet and was never read by anyone in charge of hiring/supervising my replacement.