BKD Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mix of industries, but ability to niche. Great partner group with knowledgeable upper management. Mandatory partner retirement is 62 so there is a lot of opportunity to advance quickly for motivated people.

Benefits are good - paid parental leave has recently been instated.

Some partners are really great at motivating and leading their teams, others need to be helped a little to remember to motivate and lead. I think these are just personality differences and everyone brings something unique to the table.

Cons

There are some morale issues that the office is working through, but the senior leadership is engaged and motivated to improve the culture (which isn't all bad to begin with).

Yes, hours are long sometimes. Yes, time demands can be stressful and hours are tracked... But this is a public accounting firm so an experienced hire or recruit would know to expect these things. This is not a 40 hour work week type of industry.

Advice to Management

Listen to the younger staff. They have some great ideas.

Aug 11, 2017 – Social Media Lead

All very true! Thank you for sharing your insightful feedback. BKD is always assessing itself to identify areas of growth to better support team members.

2. "Great company with great culture"

Current Employee - Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Associate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People come first and you won't get overworked like other CPA firms.

Cons

More than 40 hours are expected during busy season

Jul 27, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Thank you for the review! Who would we be without our Trusted Advisors? Busy season does demand quite a bit from our team, but we value the time and effort everyone puts in to provide Unmatched... More

3. "Great enviroment"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

knowledgeable CPA's that work with school and very flexible

Cons

Not a lot of work during summer for audit interns

Advice to Management

none they are great

Jul 11, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Thanks for the feedback! We're happy to accommodate BKDers' schedules to fit their needs.

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at BKD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were always professional and I had a great variety of work. There was never a dull moment.

Cons

While there was always a variety of work to be done, too many times long hours were expected during the week which also included Saturdays during tax season.

May 25, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Our Indy office is pretty exciting! Thanks for the review!

5. "BKD is awesome!"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is the best company I've ever worked for. BKD allows employees the autonomy to develop as they wish. Opportunities are available if you are willing to pursue them.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. It might be good to increase compensation for over night travel.

May 25, 2017 – Social Media Lead

This is wonderful to hear! Thank you for your thoughts and we're glad to have you on our team!

6. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated staff, fun work environment, and positive atmosphere for learning.

Cons

Stress of public accounting, universal in the industry.

Apr 3, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Dedicated, fun and positive - that sounds like our Nashville office!

7. "Great place to work and lots of opportunity"

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment. Lots of opportunity for talented professionals willing to work hard. Pay is above average and management works hard to keep benefits and perks similar or above other firms. Good leaders. Ethical and puts integrity first.

Cons

Can be long hours but overall not bad.

Feb 27, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Thank you for sharing! We strive to make BKD a great firm for BKDers and we're glad to hear you're happy working with us.

8. "Audit Associate"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at BKD as an intern

Pros

Fantastic access to clients and partners, very well designed internship program (can only speak for Indianapolis office) that culminated in a scavenger hunt that included the local zoo, changing the tires on an Indy Car, and finished at with the office Managing Partner hosting us at his home. I was very impressed that he knew each intern by name despite having very little interaction with us. Not to mention the high caliber senior staff who were constantly available to ask questions and more than willing to mentor and help you understand the bigger picture of what you were working on. Phenomenal culture when it comes to staff getting together outside of the firm for happy hours or events.

Cons

Paying out of pocket to park at the office each day (again unique to Indy office), seemed a little a bit unusual/unnecessary. Comp for a full time offer was also a bit disappointing, for a medium sized firm with little overhead I would expect them to take better care of their employees, particularly the junior staff who are completing the majority of the ground work on most engagements.

Advice to Management

Raise salary levels for junior staff, as they are well below average for Indy area firms. I imagine this is one of the largest reasons contributing to turnover.

9. "Proposal Specialist"

I have been working at BKD full-time

Pros

- Decent pay and benefits
    - Strong job security (growing company that's been around a while)
    - Great people to work with
    - Management seems to genuinely care and want to help you succeed
    - This is a team where your work is appreciated and valued; management recognizes when the workload is difficult or unreasonable and commends you for going the extra mile when it's possible, and is the first to have your back when it's not
    - The proposal team has a unique culture; even though we all have our own separate projects and responsibilities and team work isn't necessarily required on a daily basis (lots of solo work), everyone is extremely willing to help each other out

Could be pros or cons depending on your personality:
    - Challenging, fast-paced environment (very deadline-driven and at times intense)
    - Extremely detail-oriented, down to tiny things that may seem silly at times
    - Very quiet environment (though they don't mind if you listen to music on headphones)
    - As mentioned, lots of solo work; you might go hours at a time without talking to anyone
    - On the other hand, sometimes you do have to talk to people and you have regular phone calls with people so social skills are still needed

Cons

At times, long hours are necessary and schedules can be unpredictable. Deadlines can change at the last minute and you have to be flexible. The upside of that is that management is also happy to be flexible with you and has your back. It's not the kind of place where they expect 50-60 hours a week every week and that's just how it is; there are occasional long weeks, but leadership is consistently working to add more staff and improve the process in an effort to improve work-life balance.

Feb 27, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Thank you for offering your insight about BKD! We attract very driven individuals like yourself who thrive in a challenging and supportive environment. Our proposal team in particular consists of... More

10. "A Reptuable Company that Invests in the Growth & Development of its Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A continuum of career tracks, a growing company, a wide range of benefits for mothers and fathers, a company that supports mothers who want a full-time career, a company that supports work-life balance, a company that supports women in the industry

Cons

Unpredictable weather elements walking from parking garage to offices, a high-level of expectations for professionalism at all times, an intense, deadline-driven, structured and quiet working environment, strict business dress code five days a week, sitting for long hours at a time

Feb 27, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Thanks for your review! Your feedback is helpful in building a positive and productive workplace. We'll take your thoughts and use them to make BKD even better.