BKD Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
BKD Partner & CEO Ted Dickman
Ted Dickman

Pros
Cons
  • Can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance but think this is also typical of most public accounting firms (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours and travel at times but this is the life we chose (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Driven Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a supportive environment dedicated to helping you excel. The catch, and rightfully so, is that you work hard every day. There are no lazy or slacker days. There's also a lot of pressure to be continuously innovative, so there's rarely a "going through the motions" moment. If you like to be challenged and surrounded by driven individuals, it's a good place.

Cons

There aren't redundancies in work responsibilities which can make it difficult to take PTO.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of very cool, big projects pushed throughout the firm - SKY, Great Season, Leadership Conference etc., but they need more definition to continue to have a culture impact on new employees

BKD Response

Feb 10, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We appreciate hearing your thoughts! As we continue to grow, we'll be looking for ways in which team members can continue to support each other to create a good work life balance!

2. "BKD"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good office location, young staff , many diverse clients to work with, plenty of hours in the office to work on projects

Cons

Long Hours, lackluster pay, poor performance reviews, mediocre benefits,

Advice to Management

Work on developing from within, not just hiring for busy season

"A great place if you want to be underpaid and overworked for the rest of your life."

Former Employee - Audit Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Audit Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

Pros

This is a good place to start in public accounting for a year or two to gain some experience, but if you have ambition, energy and skills you will quickly learn that your skills and energy will only be used to make the partners rich while you work your rear end off. There is a lot of propaganda about it being a Best Place to Work and on and on. Hilarious.

Cons

The only people that matter at BKD is the partners. It's all about partner compensation and earnings. The benefits are terrible. Morale was terrible. I saw many talented and ambitious people leave the firm.

It's a place of the haves and have nots. If you're a partner, you're a "have" and if you are a manager, senior manager, or staff you are a "have not." Leaving BKD was a good decision. The work environment is political and not based on merit or a person's contributions to client service, engagement realization or technical assets. I have never worked so hard for so little.

Advice to Management

This is not worth my energy.

"You work to make the partners rich."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Starting pay is great compared to other places if you are coming right out of college.

Cons

Pretty much everyone supervisor and above will screw you. You work to make the partners rich. Raises are as low as 1% and any chance BKD gets to screw you out of money they will. They will even go so low as to not pay you back for business related expenses. Heard horror stories of people getting stuck with $1200.00+ that BKD came up with stupid excuses to not pay back. Training sucked. I was never trained at all while I was there, it was just expected I would figure it out as I went along which is fine except I was a staff working alone.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves so new people can take over and run the place right. You all are worse than congress.

"You don't want to work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

The staff people are loyal to a fault. BKD doesn't deserve them.

Cons

Tax Group Partners are nitpicking and control freaks. Staff and Seniors are forced to deal with partners instead of managers because they are too cheap to hire managers and they managers they do hire don't stay.
    Extremely high turnover.
    The cheapest/tight fisted firm I've ever worked for. They don't bring in meals during tax season.
    They will work you to death and throw you away.
    Training is joke! One Great Week is One Big Joke. It's all "look how great we are" and hardly any technical training.

Advice to Management

Advise to partners is go do something else. You're no go at this.

7. "Unerappreciated and overworked"

Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Kansas City, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay was decent and generous on holidays

Cons

NO TRAINING at all, everything is about having 100% charge time. Worked 5 years, number of employees in my dept drastically reduced. No one was hired to replace, dumped 6 people's jobs on 4 of us, never a thank you for extra effort. 90% of employees won't raise their head to say hello in passing. Very miserable place to work.

Advice to Management

Train people if you want them to be succesful. Smile once in awhile, I don't think your face will break.

"Good experience, that's it"

Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Springfield, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience
    Sink or swim mentality teaches you to think for yourself, as no one is going to help guide you beyond week one of training
    Nice comraderie among peers

Cons

Company's approach to recruiting is hiring to fire. You have just a couple months to prove your worth and receive no training. If you ask too many questions, you are immediately viewed as weaker than your peers and run a huge risk of being let go. If you are a strong performer, you also run a risk of being let go, as rather than own up to its recruiting mistakes (i.e. hiring too many), when times get tough management's philosophy is to unload staff as quickly as possible. BKD is not a great place to work, so usually those that don't get fired quit pretty quickly anyway. If you have a family or want a life outside of work, forget it. Informing them that you prefer less travel known is like career suicide. BKD is also very inflexible with working hours. Other public accounting firms are flexible in that it is about getting your work done at any time of the day, but BKD is very rigid - wants you there from exactly 8:00 to exactly 5:00 with a one hour lunch from 12:00 to 1:00. They frown upon you leaving at 4:00 on a Friday, even if you have already put in 60 hours for the week. Much of the travel is for two week jobs, and they also frown upon you coming home on the weekend, which is also different from a lot of firms. Most managers and partners are rude and act like they are above talking to staff. Technology is horrible (i.e. computer crashings and Excel time sheets, paper billing, etc.).

Advice to Management

Don't hire to fire - recruit the correct people and the correct number of people. Take a look at your cheap and inflexible employment practices.

"Not a right place to stay"

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible working schedules and time-off plicy

Cons

high turnover rate specially in slow season

"No respect"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at BKD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot over the years

Cons

No care for hard workers, no ability to fire those that don't do their work. No respect for anyone who's been around awhile. Pay is terrible

Advice to Management

Come into this century and pay your people. You might keep your A players.

"Sr. Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at BKD full-time

Pros

While BKD seems proficient at their core audit & tax practices, ancillary service offerings are treated as second class and will be given away to secure audit & tax service. The they'll ask why you realization is down???

Cons

No work life balance, they want to own your entire existence. They'll tell you they don't, but not the case. Average partner comp was $650K+ when I was there and they do not want to share with their staff. Non-partner comp tops out between $175 - $200K, that's quite a disparity. Our practice was being led by someone that was not an expert in the area and didn't "get it" for how work was priced in other practices. He has successfully chased off everyone in the practice and now has to rebuild.

Advice to Management

Turn down the greed meter a bit and share the wealth more. Knowing what the comp disparity is does not motivate staff when only the partners benefit from your extra work.