BKD Reviews | Glassdoor

BKD Reviews

Updated October 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance was emphasized and there was plenty of opportunities to meet people (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits, great people & culture (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not much support of work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Long hours can get difficult during busy season, but team culture helps boost moral (in 27 reviews)

1. "BKD is awesome!"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is the best company I've ever worked for. BKD allows employees the autonomy to develop as they wish. Opportunities are available if you are willing to pursue them.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. It might be good to increase compensation for over night travel.

May 25, 2017 – Social Media Lead

This is wonderful to hear! Thank you for your thoughts and we're glad to have you on our team!

2. "Good Company to work for"

I have been working at BKD full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, challenging work, ethical employees

Cons

I can't think of a down side

May 30, 2017 – Social Media Lead

It's great to read reviews like this, thank you for sharing!

"Dissapointment in the End"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great pay
    -Access to many resources
    -Many benefits
    -Many opportunities for career advancement within firm
    -Strong new employee training program

Cons

-No support in balancing work life & personal life
    -Extremely male dominated culture
    -No ethnic diversity; 95% of firm consisted of Caucasian personnel
    -Received minimal feedback on performance, when I did, it was negative
    -Always felt like I was bothering upper level management whenever I had questions
    -A lot of gossip about other employees
    -In general, very few employees (at all levels) were kind

Advice to Management

While management was extremely professional to clients and outsiders, they weren't so professional with internal staff. Remember to be patient with your employees and respect each one of them.

May 2, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We're sorry you didn't feel supported and that many of your fellow employees were unkind. We'll send this feedback along so we can better create a work environment that is welcoming, nurturing and... More

4. "Individual Value, Group Success"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of individual development in that the partner group really gets to know their teams on a personal level, creating really unique career paths for everyone within the confines of the public accounting corporate ladder. Definite focus on diversity programs & employee satisfaction, obvious that this is important to the firm leaders. I previously worked in big 4 and much prefer BKD's clients - the relationships you can start building as early as associate are much more meaningful. Seems to be enough staff that in general nobody has to work really insane hours like at big 4. Also everything is really well-organized and well-run, not a lot of "fires" that come up and need putting out.

Cons

Salaries could be higher but probably working a little less than other firms as the distribution is more spread out

Advice to Management

Agree with another poster - more clear definitions and project action items related to some of the really cool things going on like Sky

Apr 13, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We have to agree! We're glad the BKD experience has been great for you. Your feedback provides valuable insight into how our firm differs from others.

5. "Audit Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, didn't run into anyone that I had a hard time getting along with. Got feedback to me on a timely consistent basis, and provided good guidance and teaching. Provided Becker to associates studying for the CPA.

Cons

The managers I worked with seemed to be pulling longer weeks than what would normally be expected. The cause of this from what I understood from them is the lack of people staff in senior associate roles.
    I was told there wasn't enough work for me and was laid off along with a few other people. This was a firmwide layoff and is the second one in 4-5 years from what I understand from HR.
    They don't allow even one promotion if you don't have your CPA.
    My feeling was that the partners were overloading the managers with work to keep costs down.

Apr 24, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We do have wonderful people on our team. We appreciate your feedback and we'll look into that assessment.

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on experience in audit from planning, execution and completion. Employees are empowered to take charge of the audit and the company rely on young staff to conduct audits.

Cons

Everything here is about realization. It does not matter how well a job is done, when it is over budget, executives get mad. The majority of jobs are messy and when a problem occurs, senior management blame it on staff. A lot of politics also involved at this company. No sick days. Employees are forced to take PTO when they are sick.

Advice to Management

Stop praising the same people over and over. Develop more people who will add value to your company.

May 8, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We're sorry your experience wasn't positive. Certainly we can focus more on solvency than blame and invest in more BKDers. Thank you for your feedback and we'll continue to make BKD better.... More

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at BKD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated staff, fun work environment, and positive atmosphere for learning.

Cons

Stress of public accounting, universal in the industry.

Apr 3, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Dedicated, fun and positive - that sounds like our Nashville office!

"Grass in greener elsewhere"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment with plenty of opportunities for advancement if you seek them out and apply yourself. The firm has excellent resources available for your use to help advance your career. Those with experience were knowledgeable and seemed willing to teach if you were willing to learn.

Cons

Saw a lot of turnover during my tenure, partially due to the fact the firm pays below market value for positions lower than senior manager. Although not a big four, it sometimes feels like you are just a number, contradicting the recruiting pitch I received originally. Depending on your industry and office location, travel may be as high as 70% overnights (audit). For the amount of work you have, experience you obtain, and compensation you receive, I would recommend entry level candidates going Big 4 other than BKD. The feel of BKD is the longer you work there (or more experience you have), the greater benefits you will receive, which is why many partners/directors have come from different firms. This is reversed for lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. There is a stigma of "cheapness" that seems to follow in every aspect of the firm, whether that be; salary, carpooling requirements, expense reporting, time off, etc. Saying one thing and doing another once someone has committed to the firm is unethical.

Apr 24, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We want our team members to feel valued, and certainly more than just a number. Your feedback is appreciated as it helps us identify areas of growth so we can make BKD a better firm.

9. "BKD HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Pros

Great people to work with throughout the organization

Cons

National Office HR is not realistic or understands the business to promote positive growth.

Advice to Management

Take a careful look to may sure people are really adding value to the organization.

Apr 17, 2017 – Social Media Lead

We certainly appreciate your feedback. From our engagement surveys to reviews, we try to garner a better understanding for internal improvement at BKD.

10. "Auditor"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BKD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning and Development above standards. Opportunity to be involved in different projects in different industries. The people I work with are so very helpful. They want you to succeed because if you know what you're doing, that means no one else has to redo that work. So it's a win win.

Cons

BKD is not a company that will pay you. Their pay is well below market. It hurts me to say this but I'll be looking for a better paying job before the year runs out. As an example, according to Glassdoor, I'm being paid $16,000 less!
    Also, there's no 401K match. They'll give you 5% profit sharing at the end of the year though.

Advice to Management

Pay employees based on market rate and the value they're bringing to the table. Low ball offers will just translate to high turnover especially during busy season as there won't be anything to motivate employees, and why burn yourself out when you're not being paid what you're worth. Money is a very high motivator.
    Also, check your 401K match.
    Keep up the great work with trainings. Thanks for the snacks. I just wish they could offer healthier options in terms of the chips.

Apr 10, 2017 – Social Media Lead

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. You make a good point and we want BKDers to know they're valued. We'll be passing this along and we encourage you to discuss this topic during... More